Am I asking too much? 1965 Dart 270

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had the add up on CL for a while, in need of a small truck instead of a car at this point in life. How is my price?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/3410516140.html

Not really but if you need to sell it you need to price it to sell. If you had it at $2500 it would probably be gone by now. Wish I had one of my Dakota's up for grabs......we would do some trading. tmm

I don't think you are too far out of line, it looks pretty solid, you just need the right buyer.

Clean and solid,...maybe a tad high, but I'd try to hold out a little longer,...those are non existent up here...

I would hold out a bit longer $3500 is not a bad price.

Just bought a 65 273 vert for less. Yours seems to be in slightly better condition but I also got a trailer of parts. The market just doesn't seem to be there right now the guy I got it from sat on it for sale for a long time until he finally was just done with it and I stumbled on to his property. The bad thing about our cars is typically you will never get back anywhere near what you put in.

You need to see what else is out there for $3,500 and I think you'll see that your price is high. 65 Darts don't get much love and even less with slants and B-pillars (sedan instead of hardtop). We've got a guy on this site that is trying to give away one of the rarest street Darts (yes, it's more of a project and isn't road worthy) and having trouble with it. A trade for what you need seems more likely, maybe.

Thanks for the info all. I'll just keep it listed and see what happens. No rush in getting rid of it.

Raising the price is good strategy. I had a camper I was having a hard time selling at a fair price so I listed it way too high and sold it for 200 more than I wanted for it.

I'm in Clarksville, Tn and saw your ad. My first impression was it looked like a really nice driver and my secong thought was yes it was a bit high but then I wasn't looking for a Dart either - so it would have to be really cheap to get my interest. These cars, including my '66 Valiant, sometime take a looooong time to sell... maybe even years for the right buyer to come around.

It is also the holiday season, as well as a lot of lay-offs/closings are being announced. Tough time of year to be selling. Might end up with a black 1994, 65K mile, V-12, S600 Mercedes sedan. An older lady brought it to my buddy's shop to fix the RR window regulator and a servicing atleast 3 months ago. He has called, e-mailed, and then finally went to her house. She claimed she would be in last Friday or Saturday to pay the bill- never showed. He called her Monday, she wouldn't pick up or return the call. So the lein gets completed on December 6th and I'll get it for the bill and a little extra...$2K. And the odd part is this is an older woman who has money, there are no houses in her neighborhood under $1.5 million. My dad might just get the best Christmas gift ever!

I feel your pain Jorez,
I have a 65 Dart Charger for sale, confirmed by Mr. Andersen, CA car, original 273 4bbl motor, disk brake kit from 73 dart and A-body 8.75 to go with it, plus trim, two NOS tail light lenses, blah , blah. I started off at what I paid, $6500, nothing, went down to $5500, and included more parts, all I get is low ball offers that are actually insulting. Maybe I'm a different kind of person or just stupid, I'd feel like an a$$ offering someone else what I've been offered. Bear in mind, not all the offers were insulting just still way too low. So low that I've even considered (and I hate when guys "threaten" this) parting it out!!! I'm not desperate to sell it and too lazy to start taking parts off.

Anyway, sorry for the long post........I feel your pain.

By the way, I like your car. The candy canes look to be in good shape, big plus. I don't understand why the post is such a big deal. Just paint it black like they do in new cars. Your eye will just pass over it like it's not there. With the post your windows and everything work better, you don't get the edges of your glass all chipped up from hitting things and the door seals up better.

Sorry, I woke up on my soap box today. Usually don't say much on here, I just usually read and try to learn.

Only reason I'm selling my dart is I have too many projects that are going no where, 69 Bee, 69 Coronet, 68 Barracuda notch.

You can always go down but not back up. Not enough info and pics to be able to really tell. Need interior and engine pics.

As you are finding out, the early A cars are not an easy sell, even though your car looks very solid and worthy of your price. The cars just don't hold up compared to Dusters, Demons and 67-69 Darts. I believe that the early Darts may be the hardest early A to sell also!! Why?? I guess it takes someone who LOVES that body styling, and those people are few and far between!!

I agree that if it were priced at $2500 it would've been gone. I sold a 66 Cuda to a member here over the summer and I priced it right at $2500, not negociable, and thats just what I got. I knew it was worth it, and so did everybody who chimed in with a "its a great price" comment. It sold in less than a week, and I believe that the new owner is very happy with the car. It was priced right and left some room for refinishing the items that the car needed!!

Maybe interested lookers at your car see the price, and read the refinishing necessary and are adding up the numbers. $3500 plus probably at least $1000 to refinish the interior puts the new owner in the $4500-5000 range, maybe too much invested for a 65 Dart /6 car!!

Just my ponderings of course, and IMO it is worth your asking price, but I am a little biased towards the early A's!! Good luck with the sale, Geof

Going up on this price will only stop the people whow would want it but do not have the money for it at the new larger price. Believe it or not allot of people will not even try and make an offer on the car as they just do not want to hurt someones feelings. I would go back down and ad OBO to the price.

You will get more attention for sure.. This way if a guy had 3k to spend on a car and you had it at 3500 he would not feel to bad about offering 3k for it. I would also ad to the listing that all offers would be considered and the only thing I can say is yes or no I can't do it for that price.

Good luck with it..

Car looks good but the way I look at this maybe different for others because I believe there are only a hand full of people in any town USA who are into Mopar...

I don't understand why the post is such a big deal.

It is a big deal for seveal reasons, the biggest is that in the 1960s, pillarless cars were more desirable due to the cleaner look with the windows down (that includes perofrmance models like the Road Runner and Super Bee). That's just the way it is, but there was also a time when you couldn't give away a Barracuda coupe as the fastbacks were considerably more desirable. It doesn't matter what ONE person likes better, it's about how many will be interested. I've been around this hobby since the late 70s and I wouldn't consider a sedan for a build. Yes, it may be an old bias, but I'm not the only one (actually, I'm to the point where I wouldn't consider something with a permanent roof...).

I would have to say no not asking to much ,but that being said times are tight.In a better time you would get twice that.

I would have to say no not asking to much ,but that being said times are tight.In a better time you would get twice that.

Sorry if you paid $8000 for that in the past even at the top of the market.

Location will vary the price on that car quite a bit.

Sorry if you paid $8000 for that in the past even at the top of the market.

Location will vary the price on that car quite a bit.

I'm just putting autox's quote in cause I like it.
But other's have made good points, like location.
Let's face it. This is a weird little car. Slant six and all.
People must LIKE it to want to send on it. Oh, and have the money that the seller will take of the car.
That being said, which doesn't answer your question.
I've got a friend sort of near you. Next state up.
I'll send him the link. He has no money, but I'd help him out to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back