Am I Being Unreasonable? Original Owner Wants Car Back

-
As the owner of a car that my dad ordered in 1971, I can not explain what it means to me to have it. He has been gone for about 5 years and every time I do something to it, I'm wondering, how would dad do this? There is absolutely no way I'm selling! At the same time, YOU own the car. If he wants it back bad enough, he will find a way to pay you what you want. Otherwise you don't owe him anything, imho

It’s your car so you can set the price you’re willing to let it go for. Sometimes sentimental value helps increase the price to a »I don’t want to sell it price » and that’s ok since it’s your car!

Help educate me through; what is market price of a ’71 340 Demon (tribute)? What is the price of a ‘71 340 Demon (tribute) with sweat equity and sentimental value?

It’s your car so you can set the price you’re willing to let it go for. Sometimes sentimental value helps increase the price to a »I don’t want to sell it price » and that’s ok since it’s your car!

Help educate me through; what is market price of a ’71 340 Demon (tribute)? What is the price of a ‘71 340 Demon (tribute) with sweat equity and sentimental value?
:popcorn:....

Everybody has a dream. Sometimes they just are not going come together. He knows where the car is. You know where he is. I agree you could give him first shot at it if he comes up with the cash and you are interested in selling. But perhaps he should be looking for another car to replace yours at the same time. And in my opinion, it would have to be equal to and likely greater value than what you own. Or a cash difference in order to accommodate inconvenience.

To me they are just cars. My dad never had a car for me to long after. That is different story.

Sorry for the sidetrack.........What size wheels do you have on your Demon?
275/60 & 215/60 on 15" wheels. It's tight in the back but doesn't rub, the front juuust had enough clearance when at full turn. I love the stance with these fatties on the rear. They came with it when I bought it, so not 100% on the backspacing, I think 4.5. It's LBP and the wheels are unilug which I don't love, having to check torque all the time, but they look great

PXL_20221127_170956922.jpg

PXL_20221127_170917338.jpg

So in your post you said:

So what’s too far apart? Did you throw a number at him? I believe you have every right to ask whatever you want for the car. Just curious as to how one can say that you’re too far apart when there are no numbers being thrown out.
I told him north of $40k to buy it outright or if either of us find a replacement that I like that's the price (+tax +shipping). A lot of the advice you all are giving is almost word for word what I told him.

Geez, don't let him get to you. He should consider himself lucky that he found the car. I'm sure I've owned some cars that previous owners wished they'd never sold. Hell, I wish I had my 70 Challenger R/T back.

It's your car and you can simply say "it's not for sale at this time". Also, it's your car and you can name the price that you would sell it for. You are not obligated to him or his attachment. It is nice of you to consider his feelings, I might do the same. But not obligated. You are not even obligated to "give him first chance" if you were to put it up for sale. I know, it's the nice thing to do. In the end, it's your car, you like it, you set the rules and boundaries and he has to live by them. Best wishes to both of you :)

Never let emotions be a factor in a car deal of any kind. I had a '72 Demon 340 4-spd project car once. And one of my friends beat on me that it was the perfect car for a father/son project, on and on and on and just had to have it. So I sold it to him for considerably less than what it was worth. Six months later I find out he sold it to another for over 20 times what I sold it to him for. I've never forgotten that life lesson.

Tell him politely, “You can purchase the car back when I’m done with it and not until then.” Then nicely state, “If you please, don’t bother or harass me on this issue or the price of the car in the future goes up - a lot!” If you so wish, I’ve done and said this, “When I’m ready to sell it, I’ll approach you and only you first with an honest and reasonable price that I find acceptable with deviates to you and why you want it.”

Now this part may sound funny but it is 100% true. I’ve had a couple of people want a certain car I have had so bad they just don’t listen to what I’m saying or just simply ignore what I said and figure that, IF they just badger the hell out of me, I’ll cave in and just sell it to get rid of them.

This is when I dig in and take great joy in not only sticking to my gums but start to raise the price of the car right there and then. One fella insisted I sell my ‘73 Cuda to him after I was pretty stern about not selling. He got a bit upset that I was turning down his reasonable offer. So I told him, if you keep insisting and raising your voice over the matter, the price will go up and go up fast.

He was surprised and shocked and started to curse. I smiled and said, “Cursing?!?! That’s an extra $1,000.” He started to curse some more and insult. I smiled and said, “OK fine, I’ll sell but the new price is an extra 3K for the 3 curses and the insult is an extra $1500. So he flipped out and I just kept adding up the cost as the final price.

He was absolutely looooosssssing his ****.
And I’m LMAO with glee to the point of I can’t hide it a bit.
Now he is seriously flipping out jumping up and down. I smiled and asked if we had a deal for him to purchase the car, he paused, said OK, deal. I said fine! You go get the cash and I’ll get the title and write up a bill of sale for the Cuda.

He was delighted and said, “Great! 4K then!”
I laughed and said, “**** no! You cursed and Insulted me and the car as a POS to the tune of the 45K I last rattled off and if you don’t like it, spend the money else where!”

He exploded! I thought he was going to go nuclear!

He hoped in his car and started to rant where I just started to laugh and follow him in his car down the road screaming higher and higher prices until he hit the hammer laying rubber to get away.

Not my problem! But below is the car he could have had for his price IF he just waited, STFU, and had cash.

D7FD1EAE-82F0-4461-B9B0-998C795B917C.jpeg

3E186809-6B62-4E0A-ABA3-8E70052C95FC.jpeg

Never let emotions be a factor in a car deal of any kind. I had a '72 Demon 340 4-spd project car once. And one of my friends beat on me that it was the perfect car for a father/son project, on and on and on and just had to have it. So I sold it to him for considerably less than what it was worth. Six months later I find out he sold it to another for over 20 times what I sold it to him for. I've never forgotten that life lesson.
I’m not sure I’d speak to him again.
After all, he’s T would have been the right thing to offer the car back to you. IMO, that was a stumbling bag move.

Put him on a mission to find your dad's Old demon and when he buys it then you guys can talk...
I've thought about this as the holy grail outcome. My dad's may be out there, originally an A4 gray car, bucket seat console auto, no hood scoops, rallyes, and an Americana paint job with stripes like a 73 dart sport (it was '75, part of what he wishes he didn't do). Riverton, UT. My dad traded a Roadrunner in for this at a dealer, someone stole the Roadrunner off the lot & set fire to it across town. These are the kinds of stories that were half forgotten until I put a Demon in front of him again.

20220219_190805_HDR.jpg

20220219_190710_HDR.jpg

20220219_191001.jpg

Tell him politely, “You can purchase the car back when I’m done with it and not until then.” Then nicely state, “If you please, don’t bother or harass me on this issue or the price of the car in the future goes up - a lot!” If you so wish, I’ve done and said this, “When I’m ready to sell it, I’ll approach you and only you first with an honest and reasonable price that I find acceptable with deviates to you and why you want it.”

Now this part may sound funny but it is 100% true. I’ve had a couple of people want a certain car I have had so bad they just don’t listen to what I’m saying or just simply ignore what I said and figure that, IF they just badger the hell out of me, I’ll cave in and just sell it to get rid of them.

This is when I dig in and take great joy in not only sticking to my gums but start to raise the price of the car right there and then. One fella insisted I sell my ‘73 Cuda to him after I was pretty stern about not selling. He got a bit upset that I was turning down his reasonable offer. So I told him, if you keep insisting and raising your voice over the matter, the price will go up and go up fast.

He was surprised and shocked and started to curse. I smiled and said, “Cursing?!?! That’s an extra $1,000.” He started to curse some more and insult. I smiled and said, “OK fine, I’ll sell but the new price is an extra 3K for the 3 curses and the insult is an extra $1500. So he flipped out and I just kept adding up the cost as the final price.

Now he is seriously flipping out jumping up and down. I smiled and asked if we had a deal for him to purchase the car, he paused, said OK, deal. I said fine! You go get the cash and I’ll get the title and write up a bill of sale for the Cuda.

I laughed and said, “**** no! You cursed and Insulted me and the car as a POS to the tune of the 45K I last rattled off and if you don’t like it, spend the money else where!”

He hoped in his car and started to rant where I just started to laugh and follow him in his car down the road screaming higher and higher prices until he hit the hammer laying rubber to get away.

Not my problem! But below is the car he could have had for his price IF he just waited, STFU, and had cash.

View attachment 1716025809

View attachment 1716025810
One of my friends had a similar theory. He was approached by someone who was interested in a car he had that he really didn't want to sell. Guy asks how much, my friend gives him a price and says that is good for today. Tomorrow it'll be $1000 more. Guy says he'll think about it. Calls up next day and says he'll take it for the original amount. My friend said that was good yesterday, today it's $1000 more. The guy explodes. My friend then said, tomorrow it'll be another $1000. Guy hangs up and never bothered my friend again.

View attachment 1716025809

View attachment 1716025810
This is hilarious! I'm a big believer in karma & would have been wary of telephone poles on the way out if I were that guy

That's the tough part, it's either $5k for a rusted roller or $30k+ for built tributes from what I've seen, not much in between. Built H code cars $45k+ & #s H codes North of $60k. I've been searching for a long time & may have overpaid a little for what I got in hindsight but happy I have one.

The original owner's family of the Demon can take satisfaction that they know where the car is, and it is in good hands living on.

Fortunately knowing that it has "not" hit the crusher yet.

I can understand the attachment from both sides. You've put your time, money, and effort into making it yours, and you are not obligated to make anyone else's dreams come true. You can be sure that if you or he were to find another Demon to replace it, you will need to make repairs or changes to that one in order for it to be comparable to the one that you already have.
Several years ago I found a car that I had bought new off the showroom floor when I was 21. I had every intention to keep that car forever, but in reality was forced to sell it after only 6 months due to the loss of my job, and a recession, during which I could not find another job. I was both very excited and surprised that I had found it, and it was for sale, and still in very good condition some 25 years later. I spoke with the seller on the phone at length, he sent me dozens of pictures, confirming the VIN and condition, but we couldn't agree on the price.
Part of the reason why I was not willing to pay his asking price was that I had found a nearly identical one for considerably less money, and it had a freshly rebuilt motor, and new wheels and tires.
Long story short, even though I would have liked to be able to get the one that I had bought new back, in the end I was far better off putting the emotions aside and buying the best value for the $$.
Sorry for the rambling post.

This just happened to me with my jeep. Right after I bought it had it registered, put in a bunch of knuckle busting equity, the kids mom writes me to see if they can get it back. I told her if I’d do decide to sell it I’ll let her know. I still have it. Don’t let it go brother. They had let it go for a reason they live with that decision. If they truly want it back it needs to be 100% on your terms.
I agree 100% and that's not mean, cruel or uncompassionate. It's business. It's all on him to throw out a fair number. Sounds like he doesn't want to.

What you said and did was more than reasonable. My reply would have been …” here’s my email, here’s my work and personal cell number…if you’re ever ready to sell, please let me know…I’m starting to save up right this second and will be ready when I get that call from you”

I found my old 1988 Honda CR250 dirt bike that I had purchased new back about 10 years ago…the guy that had it knew I really wanted it back so he told me $3000 which was twice what it was really worth at the time… while I was loading it in the truck to leave he kind laughed at me that I would pay that much…I said that the joke was on him because I would have paid $10,000 for it….the look on his face…priceless

Not much to say other than to repeat what's been said repeatedly: Your car, your rules. If selling it was the furthest thing from your mind prior to this fella surfacing, it still should be. I'll be honest, you've been a lot more flexible with this man than I would've been. Everything has its price, sure, but that price can often be way beyond reasonable... and that's the seller's option. Nobody's under any obligation to make someone else's dream a reality.

I'd love to get my old Challenger (or its engine and/or transmission) back, but if I was told no, that would be perfectly reasonable. I'm not sure the car itself even exists anymore. Would I pay more than current market value for any of the three? Yes, but emotional attachment is a funny (and kind of stupid, if I'm honest) thing. The current owner of the engine--I know where that is--has had it in his car for over 30 years. He's made a lot more memories with it than I did. Good for him; if he doesn't want to sell, I get it. I have numerous other 340s, including one I've owned for 30+ years that is simply not for sale, ever, to anyone. These days, I'm more about the memories I want to make in a car. The "continuing story" bit definitely has its appeal, but it's a purely emotional and somewhat silly one. I've already got a different Challenger--which I'm outfitting like the old one--with which I'll make a bunch of new memories.

True! Sell it if you want to sell it. Don’t fold over and get rid of it because the guy is pressing you with stories or being a jerk with a big insulting mouth. Enjoy the car you paid your money for and time searching out. When your finally done with it, call him up.

My car came from the estate of my cousin who died very young. He has 2 boys and the younger one was about 10 when his dad died.

When he his 16 he (and his miserable mother) have been telling me (and everyone else who will listen) that they want to buy it back.

The kid has ZERO mechanical ability. He has even less tools. The car had 4.56 gears when I bought it. It now has 4.88’s.

The engine had a small MP hydraulic cam in it when I bought it. It how has a .620 lift Racer Brown solid. I asked him if he could learn how to lash valves. He said “I don’t even know what that means but I can learn it”. Maybe so, but the margin for error is pretty small.

The engine was barely 9.5:1 when I bought it. Now it’s 11.77:1 and it has a tunnel ram. This is way out of his realm as a beginner.

The clutch will cost 2200 bucks to replace. It’s about 1k for a new disc and a rebuild. I’m not sure he can even drive a stick now.

This isn’t a beginners, learn on the fly car.

Plus, it’s not for sale. But it is a factory 340 car with a moon roof. So it has some value.

-
Back