Am I Being Unreasonable? Original Owner Wants Car Back

-
I'm not asking much above actual cash I've spent all in the last 6 months. There's no reason why I should take a loss for something I didn't initiate. If he wants to interrupt my progress, he can assume my accumulated position & do everything possible to keep me on the trajectory I've worked hard & paid actual cash to establish. If I attached a labor rate to all the work I've done, the number would be much higher, I'm positioned at just my cash outlays. Is what you're saying by working with him that I should be willing to dip into my pocket to make this work for him?
I think you're being unreasonable, but not about what you think. I think you're being unreasonably compassionate. Cut the emotion loose. It's business. Emotion will get you in trouble by making you make a decision you might regret later. You have the car NOW. You have thrown out a price. Stick to your guns. Even if he were to fork over the asking price, you might never find another one as nice as what you have. You have the CAR now.

Ask him what he wants for the original paperwork. It should be together with the car...
When and if you ever decide to part with the car, give him first crack at your asking price.
That would seem reasonable to me. Just my 2¢ fwiw...

If y'all want to disagree with me, that's fine, but please elaborate why, as my reply clearly straddles the fence.
I didn't RedEx you, but I'm guessing it's because of your assertion about buyers dying off and now being peak selling time. I've heard that story regarding different eras of cars over the years, but haven't seen it happen. Have you priced a '30s Ford or Tri-Five Chevrolet lately? My Dad's first car was a '55 Chevy. He'd be 87 if still around, yet those cars are more expensive than ever, even adjusting for inflation. Personally, I wouldn't give a plug nickel for one, but there's still a ton of enthusiasm. I think prices are upswinging in general as a market trend, but it has nothing to do with mortality. Stocks go low, cars go up as investments. Prices have soared and sunk multiple times since I've been playing with 'em.

If average lifespans are of any significance, I've got about 25 years left in me--fingers crossed. There are hoardes of people 10+ years my junior who are very into musclecars in general (my 19-year-old employee drives a '68 AMX 290/4-speed). The median age of people I see at swap meets doesn't seem any higher, either. I see lots of people well under 40, and they're not looking for import parts.

I'm not asking much above actual cash I've spent all in the last 6 months. There's no reason why I should take a loss for something I didn't initiate. If he wants to interrupt my progress, he can assume my accumulated position & do everything possible to keep me on the trajectory I've worked hard & paid actual cash to establish. If I attached a labor rate to all the work I've done, the number would be much higher, I'm positioned at just my cash outlays. Is what you're saying by working with him that I should be willing to dip into my pocket to make this work for him?
I'm not saying you should or shouldn't dip into your own pocket, that's impossible to qualify. Let's say you put a $100 starter in the car. Does the price "up" $100 for a month? A year? Is mileage a factor?

Some people expect to only sell these cars for a profit, many here gripe about them. I'm not saying you should expect to sell at a loss, but if you're the investor type, realize your sales base is beginning to go tits up in large numbers.

It's your car, and I don't judge what you do with it, but I know how pissed I get when people stop and try to buy mine even though there's not a for sale sign on it. But you asked so I inquired/opined.

I didn't RedEx you, but I'm guessing it's because of your assertion about buyers dying off and now being peak selling time. I've heard that story regarding different eras of cars over the years, but haven't seen it happen. Have you priced a '30s Ford or Tri-Five Chevrolet lately? My Dad's first car was a '55 Chevy. He'd be 87 if still around, yet those cars are more expensive than ever, even adjusting for inflation. Personally, I wouldn't give a plug nickel for one, but there's still a ton of enthusiasm. I think prices are upswinging in general as a market trend, but it has nothing to do with mortality. Stocks go low, cars go up as investments. Prices have soared and sunk multiple times since I've been playing with 'em.

If average lifespans are of any significance, I've got about 25 years left in me--fingers crossed. There are hoardes of people 10+ years my junior who are very into musclecars in general (my 19-year-old employee drives a '68 AMX 290/4-speed). The median age of people I see at swap meets doesn't seem any higher, either. I see lots of people well under 40, and they're not looking for import parts.
It's also been a time of huge financial surplus in this country. The crash I keep expecting hasn't happened yet. When it does, the prices on these cars will plummet.

That said, I'm not an economist, and my bank accounts reflect that.

If you read the Year One catalog, it says labor and parts count for nothing at the time of sale. All that matters is the market value.....what someone is willing to pay. Even still, people have the right to ask what they want.

I have a friend who has his moms all original 65 Coronet slant 6 car. It’s the perfect candidate for a AWB conversion, but I assumed because it was his moms, and is all original, he would be keeping it, and keeping it that way. When I asked him about the car, he matter of fact told me…”well, I was gonna stuff a Hemi in it and go racing”, then threw out a $7500 price for it. I was kinda surprised because he’s not a Mopar guy, not even a car guy, but keeps the car in a prominent place in his shop. You just never know I guess!

I hope the next time I buy something its from someone as straight up, honest as you

You've built this car into what you want and no reason to take a big loss when you aren't even looking to sell it
The fact that you didn't even figure labor into whatever price you gave this guy is very generous

Frankly I think there is a chance this buyer is trying to hustle you.
He wants the car for sentimental reasons, wants to pay whatever number he has in his head which he hasn't told you.
If it was me and I threw a price at him which he told you that he is unwilling to pay, there is no more reason to have further communication with him and please do not feel any remorse

This situation is a perfect opportunity for the wanna be buyer to try to play on someone's heartstrings, as we all know. And I have had plenty of people MY age, senior types, that would complains to NOT being able to afford nothing, but they drove into the yard in a $60,000 pickup!! They could not afford my price they'd say.

Then there are those straped. I had a 49 Dodge Wayfarer project for sale other month. All there, non runner, but usual rust for a 70 odd year old pickup. The guy rove 4 hour to see it, priced at $1500 what I gave. I just wanted to gone. We haggled for 30 minute over $100 and then I had to take $500 down the balance in 60 days!!! He was about 45 or 50. He was driving a $60,000pickup also!!!! Maybe thats the problem! :poke:

IMO If someone had my old car and I wanted to buy it back I'd be stuck paying what he wants for it IF I could afford it. Too many dreamers wanting a deal. You cut him a deal now, he decides to sell it (again for whatever reason) and you've just lost that extra margin. Money talks.

It's your car. Keep it if you enjoy it. Lesson learned for me. I bought a car off of a buddy that was a very good deal. He bugged me and said he wanted the car back and was going to restore it for sure. So, I sold it back to him for what I paid for it with the agreement I had first right of refusal to buy back again. He turned around and traded it for another car that he didn't even want and is selling it for more. I even tried to buy it back from the new owner, but he is just a flipper and is asking too much for it now.

The fact that the OP was not looking to sell his car period, but realizing what it meant to the original owner's son, decided that he would consider selling, under his terms seems to have been lost in the 100+ responses. The OP has invested time, money, and labor into making this what he wants. It is neither unreasonable or unfair that he expect to be compensated for what he has put into the car that he didn't want to sell to begin with.
At this point, if it were me, I'd would simply ignore any further inquiries or requests from the son and enjoy my Demon. If he decides to sell it at some point down the road, it's value will be determined by what the market will bear, and the original owner's son can continue to wait and watch for it to become available on the open market, potentially realizing some savings on the price at that time as well.

The fact that the OP was not looking to sell his car period, but realizing what it meant to the original owner's son, decided that he would consider selling, under his terms seems to have been lost in the 100+ responses. The OP has invested time, money, and labor into making this what he wants. It is neither unreasonable or unfair that he expect to be compensated for what he has put into the car that he didn't want to sell to begin with.
At this point, if it were me, I'd would simply ignore any further inquiries or requests from the son and enjoy my Demon. If he decides to sell it at some point down the road, it's value will be determined by what the market will bear, and the original owner's son can continue to wait and watch for it to become available on the open market, potentially realizing some savings on the price at that time as well.
:rolleyes: :poke:

Last edited:
Suggestion:
The buyer is in Missouri, and you're in Utah, right?

Tell the wannabe buyer that you'll work with him, but he's gotta come look at the car before the haggling starts. See if he's willing to outlay the cash to make that trip.

That's when you'll know if this is all mental masturbation and you have better things to do, or if he's serious.

If y'all want to disagree with me, that's fine, but please elaborate why, as my reply clearly straddles the fence.
Maybe you should have read all the other posts before commenting. And let's face it. It doesn't pay to be a nice guy to strangers when they aren't being a nice guy to you. I agree with most of the other opinions. When you have the title then it's yours and no one else's.

I'm friends with a few guys in a local car club. One of them tells me that some guy is in love with my 65 Belvedere wagon and wants it bad. Says he wants to trade me his 49 Ford for it. I told him that I don't want no 49 Ford. It doesn't interest me. He then says that the guy just got out of the hospital because he was very sick. I looked at my buddy and said "So what? What does that have to do with my car?". Really? I'm going to feel bad for someone I never met and just give him my car that I love and worked hard to put together? I find that very offensive.

Or just maybe build your first car again from a shell like I did. I tracked my first car down and it was wrapped around a telephone pole in 1987. So I decided to build a match to my recollection.

4EF3D9F3-6CF4-42DA-B35A-5CE8A00E729E.jpeg

406465F5-F290-4EB4-81E1-A3C8261C9A34.jpeg

40CBDFBE-8682-45F8-AA73-5233BAFC99F1.jpeg

D339DAA8-A7F5-4AFC-8D2E-BAEE66002824.jpeg

-
Back