Am I Being Unreasonable? Original Owner Wants Car Back

-

MyDadsADemon

2nd gen Mopar addict
Reaction score
I bought a 71 Demon 340 tribute this summer. The body work was done & was set up as a good driver quality car to have some fun with. My dad's favorite of all his Mopars was his 71 Demon 340, the one that got away. After years of having the dream of getting one it finally came together this summer.

FF to a couple months ago I see a post on a local Mopar FB group page of someone looking for his late dad's old Demon that he had tracked down to being registered in my county. The pics look eerily familiar, so I pull out the printed out build photos of the Demon I bought. I message the dude with a photo of the fender tag, he sends me a photo of his paperwork, and it's a match. He found his late father's drag Demon.

Then reality hits: if I'm willing to sell, how much do I sell it to him for? I told him I'm willing to sell if I can be made whole by finding a similar quality Demon to buy, and that is probably north of what I spent on this Demon + all the actual $ I've put into it in real fixes, let alone my time. He coughs it down and says he will do what it takes including selling another car he has etc etc and we'll be in touch.

Long story short, he's not able to buy the car, I'm asking way too much. He was really expecting it to be in the same condition it was in 2012 when his dad sold it. I've tried being creative with him and as transparent & flexible as I could be, but I can't even get him to throw out a number that would work for him, says we're too far apart. Am I being unreasonable? I mean he found his dad's car that was a big part of his childhood, working on it together at some level, but it's not doable because of today's value.

Is there another way to approach this that I'm not thinking of? I don't feel it's my responsibility to take a loss on it to fulfill someone else's dream when it's fulfilling my own in a way. Anyone experience something like this from either side of the equation?

FB_IMG_1669050538683.jpg

PXL_20221118_223723607~2.jpg

I can understand how a person can get attached to a car. I bought my first car in 1975 and still own it. Like Rusty said it’s your car, and you shouldn’t feel guilty for following your dream

It's your car, to do what you want. I would keep his contact number. Maybe somewhere down the road, if and when, your ready to part with it, I would give him first shot. Maybe he will be in a better financial condition to buy it. Very nice car, enjoy.

Last edited:
i get where he is coming from but unless he comes up with the cash then sorry, he just doesn't get the car.. not sure what kind of number you threw out there but the guy cant expect to pay anything less then fair market value. whats it hurt for him to throw a number out? this is almost 2023 and prices are insane.. unless he can give you what it would cost to find something comparable then he is just out of luck. like i said, i get where he is coming from and all, and i'm sure it bums him out that he can't afford it but thats the breaks. he will just have to find a way to sane the money to buy it.

my 2 cents, first well written thread and i totally agree with the responses that you got so far, i can feel that you are torn with making the previous owner son dream come true while keeping your dream alive. Its your car now so keep enjoying it and like previously stated get his contact info if you decide to sell he would get first chance to buy it, maybe by then he can afford to purchase the car, BTW.. beautiful car...Rich

This just happened to me with my jeep. Right after I bought it had it registered, put in a bunch of knuckle busting equity, the kids mom writes me to see if they can get it back. I told her if I’d do decide to sell it I’ll let her know. I still have it. Don’t let it go brother. They had let it go for a reason they live with that decision. If they truly want it back it needs to be 100% on your terms.

Best I would do is tell him what YOU thnk it is worth and IF he can't do that, tell him you would trade it to him for another Demon with same value as YOURS! With your Prior approve of course!!

He found the car but it is yours. Give him right of first refusal if and when you decide to sell it and call it good.

The guy who built my car tracked it down and asked if I would sell it back to him. (I'm the 2nd or 3rd owner since he built it) He brought up the memories he had with the car and his kids, and said he only sold it because his wife said it was her or the car, so he sold it and she still divorced him. He offered me some trades of vehicles worth MUCH less than the current value of the Duster. I just stated that I had made my own memories with my kids and the car and the fact my wife bought it for me as a wedding present. If I was going to sell it, it would have to be much higher than market value, since it wasn't currently for sale and my kids are attached to it. I never heard back.

He found the car but it is yours. Give him right of first refusal if and when you decide to sell it and call it good.

This is fair unless he finds one that is as good for a trade or better. You aren't screwing this guy or being unreasonable, YOU have time and money into it and should be compensated.

Your being fair....Trying to do your best to make it happen. If he wants THAT car, he needs to find you one to replace it in as good or better condition. Or buy it outright at your price.

Dont let it play on your emotions, as I'm assuming hes trying to do. Sounds like he "expects" for you to take a loss to fulfill HIS dream. That's on him, not you.
Like mentioned, beautiful car.

So he wants it back and you know what you want in a Demon...

Tell him you will look for a replacement Demon. When you find one, let him know that he can buy it and then trade with him. He'll get a dose of reality on value, at which time he will have to decide if it is truly worth it to him to have the original back.

After more than 40 years of wanting to own a 70 Roadrunner, I finally found my forever car. It came through the nephew of the original owner, who I tracked down in short order. It had been off the road since 1978. After working on it for over a year, I took the car back over to his house and we spent the day beating on it and enjoying the car together. We’ve become friends and I stop by there occasionally when I’m in town. Last time I stopped, he expressed a desire to have it back, although he is in his 70’s. While I would like him to have it back, the same reasons he let it lie dormant for over 40 years are still present, and due to his age, I think it’s better off in my hands. He knows I love the car and hasn’t pressed the issue, and I hope he doesn’t. I want to keep the car as long as I’m able to drive and enjoy it, and that’s what I plan to do. We can still enjoy it together, but it will remain with me.

7086E11D-DEB2-4CD0-A326-E8249AAE9D99.jpeg

So in your post you said:
I've tried being creative with him and as transparent & flexible as I could be, but I can't even get him to throw out a number that would work for him, says we're too far apart.
So what’s too far apart? Did you throw a number at him? I believe you have every right to ask whatever you want for the car. Just curious as to how one can say that you’re too far apart when there are no numbers being thrown out.

You are under zero obligation. I would tell him you will notify him if it goes up for sale. I find that people often want things back for sentimental reasons but rarely are willing to pay current prices.

I bought a 71 Demon 340 tribute this summer. The body work was done & was set up as a good driver quality car to have some fun with. My dad's favorite of all his Mopars was his 71 Demon 340, the one that got away. After years of having the dream of getting one it finally came together this summer.

FF to a couple months ago I see a post on a local Mopar FB group page of someone looking for his late dad's old Demon that he had tracked down to being registered in my county. The pics look eerily familiar, so I pull out the printed out build photos of the Demon I bought. I message the dude with a photo of the fender tag, he sends me a photo of his paperwork, and it's a match. He found his late father's drag Demon.

Then reality hits: if I'm willing to sell, how much do I sell it to him for? I told him I'm willing to sell if I can be made whole by finding a similar quality Demon to buy, and that is probably north of what I spent on this Demon + all the actual $ I've put into it in real fixes, let alone my time. He coughs it down and says he will do what it takes including selling another car he has etc etc and we'll be in touch.

Long story short, he's not able to buy the car, I'm asking way too much. He was really expecting it to be in the same condition it was in 2012 when his dad sold it. I've tried being creative with him and as transparent & flexible as I could be, but I can't even get him to throw out a number that would work for him, says we're too far apart. Am I being unreasonable? I mean he found his dad's car that was a big part of his childhood, working on it together at some level, but it's not doable because of today's value.

Is there another way to approach this that I'm not thinking of? I don't feel it's my responsibility to take a loss on it to fulfill someone else's dream when it's fulfilling my own in a way. Anyone experience something like this from either side of the equation?

It is your car, with all the sweat equity, money and emotional capital you have invested. I had a teenager want my 66 Barracuda. He asked how much I wanted, I told him it was not for sale. He said everything has a price, to which I told him not this car. It is not for sale. I have more than a few things that are not for sale. My 66 replaced the 64 I grew up with and I would replace it if I sold it, so why bother. I don't feel like doing it all over again.

You basically replaced your Dad's Demon, he will have to do the same.

Last edited:

View attachment 1716025755

View attachment 1716025756
Sue him for the paper work he has on (your) car. LOL

Saving up the money to buy it or it's trade should be the route he takes. It sounds like you are willing to sell it or trade it on your terms so he has the green light to start working toward that goal.
If this guy doesn't have the earnings power, financial sense, or otherwise can't save up enough money to buy the car or buy you a replacement then he doesn't deserve his Dad's old car. I look back at a couple of engine builds I have commissioned ($17k and $20k builds). I never thought I would be able to do something like that but where there is a will there is a way. I did it by eating ramen noodles and bologna sandwiches (figuratively). If he doesn't have that kind of commitment then he can just keep dreaming.
It would be nice to see a guy get his Dad's old car back but that is just emotional feelings. What is logical?

-
Back