Am I nuts? 1940 Plymouth Commercial Car (Truck)

Am I crazy

• Yes, you will never get it done in time

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Yes, she will think "why do we need another car"

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • No, Go for it, you can get it done!

Votes: 75 36.9%
  • No, she will love it even if it is not finished in time

Votes: 115 56.7%

• Total voters
-

md11hud

md11hud
Reaction score
Just picked up another project, a 1940 Plymouth Truck. The resto on it is not the problem, but my intent is to have it done by next Sept 23rd (2011) to present to my lovely wife for her 50th birthday:love7:. She has always liked the fat fendered trucks and even made the mistake of saying "wouldn't that one look good in red?" which to my ears means "won't your make one for me in red?"

My plan is to ship all the parts and pieces off to my son's shop to be media blasted and straitened by the metal master Brent while I put a Volare' torsion bar suspension up front and a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 in the rear. 318 motorvation will be plenty, and backed by a four speed of course.

Steel wheels with Plymouth logo hubcaps and blackwalls will be the running gear.

Attachments

• DSC_1486.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 3,678
  • DSC_1487.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 3,616
  • DSC_1488.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 3,673
lol I am not going to vote yet..... Light green with black fenders and a tan interior though.....

And yes you are crazy regardless!

love yha Pop

I have two a 46 &47 dodges I bought a Dakota frame to put under one. the frame measures the same. other than a small change to the cab mounts everything else is the same Length width and wheel base..hell even the front seat measures the same..sum day I hope to get one dune..Artie:clock::clock::cheers:

I have two a 46 &47 dodges I bought a Dakota frame to put under one. the frame measures the same. other than a small change to the cab mounts everything else is the same Length width and wheel base..hell even the front seat measures the same..sum day I hope to get one dune..Artie:clock::clock::cheers:

Artie, what year Dakota did you use? When doing research for this project, it looked like the Dakota wheel base was longer than the Plymouth. I though the 46 Dodge was a remake of the early 40's truck, and the Plymouth was based on the Dodge chassis, so that might be a real time saver if the WB matches up.

Mike

greg my boss is doing the same truck for his wife! his idea was to drop the body on a new dakota chassis

Do it. Red body with black fenders or visa versa. I have seen a Plymouth car of this vintage with a 413 dual crossram set up were each 4bbl sat on a fender-looked good and no hood. Saves you all the time in getting the hood done-just saying

Sounds like it should be a cool ride, and it sounds like a great idea!!!! Rod it up and build it!

Good luck man awesome looking project..I almost had the same situation with a 67 Impalla...but the dude was to far away lol

Looks like a great project!

I would throw the 8 1/4 in the rear. Don't bother with the 8 3/4 unless you plan on giving it some more motorvation down the road.

-
Back