AM I that far off?

-

rick hughes

71dusterdude
Reaction score
guys I have a 73 duster matching # 340 already rebuilt has correct intake,thermoquaud,distributor,manifolds,radiator all 4 speed parts original rally wheels,nice floors,fenders ,deck lid,top,doors allinterierior trim,8.25 sure grip 3.23 gear, needs restored rust in lower quarters,and spare tire area, all new Brake lines and fuel lines most all of the original parts present! Asking 6 grand! Am I that far off put it on face book people saying its a $2500 car because it's a 73??????? Thanks rick

The problems I see are:

1)A lot of people do not see the value of the later cars even if they are a 340 car

2) With the state of the economy cars that are not REALLY special are not going for much money.

Where are you in WV?
There was a finished original numbers matching 73 340 auto car, in Pittsburgh last fall, and it was on Craigslist for several months for $8500 it was nice, turn key drive home car, just wax and drive to car shows. It either took a long time to sell, or he just kept it.

FYI I am building a 73 340 4-speed duster, old cars soak alot of cash to restore nice.

I paid 8000 for my 67 barracuda not matching numbers. Barely ran at the time. I now have $40000 in it But I wrote it all off as fun. I was offered 22000 a year ago but don't want to sell it it the family likes having fun with it. Sounds to me your on the money or cheap but its hard to find buyers in this ecnomy.

Inthink people are just still hung up on the year of a car to define it as a valued muscle car or crap box. My E-body Cuda is a perfect example of being crapped on all the time by big mouths.
It is a '73-340-4spd-3.23 "Cuda"

It gets further pooping because it has a 360 in it.
Nevermind the awfuly ugly body & paint state.
Then again, it was the best $600 I spent on a (beater) car.

just payed 8k for mine 383/4 speed and I'm sure ( in my mind ) I stole it ..think the later models may suffer because of the bumpers though....I may be prejudice but I think your OK

Attachments

• DUSTER 3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 541
  • DUSTER 2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 539
It's all about supply and demand. I wish my cars were worth a fortune but they're not. No matter how pristine a Chevy Vega might be, it'll never get people to pay big bucks for it. Even if someone spent $30,000 restoring it - it still wouldn't be worth the big bucks.

If for some reason demand for Chevy Vegas shot upwards, the value of the car would increase.

It doesn't matter how much we personally love our cars. Their value is controlled by how desirable they are to others and how rare they are.

A-bodies rarely bring as much money as B-bodies even though they cost about the same amount to restore. 4-doors don't bring as much money as 2-doors.

I don't know what the current average market value is on '73 Dusters. $2500 sounds extremely low for a nice car. My guess would be that it should be at least 4 times that amount. If extremely nice I would say possibly 8 times that amount. But if the demand isn't there.... - then it comes down to finding someone that really loves the '73s.

I own a 'Lil Red Express. They're fairly rare. They're not cheap to restore. They don't bring big bucks either. After restoration I'd be lucky to sell it for as much as I put into it. Apparently there isn't that great a demand out there for them either.

you are right where you should be, in fact by Canadian standards you are a bit low in price my son paid 3k last year for a rust free Arizona 74 slant six car and it took him a year to find it, no way you would find a numbers matching clean 340\4spd car up here for that, and id if it weren't for the fact our dollar sucked so much up here you would probably have some Canadian buyers interested in it, you should have seen some of the junk we seen up here for 5+ k, hold out if you can.

not being a dick, just answering your question with my opinion, yes I think 8 grand is extremely high, 2500 is low but 8 is way high, if I was going to by a 73 I would just look for a slant 6 or 318 car, or a 74 or 75, just to get into one way cheaper, I just think no one in there right mind would pay that money for an a body that needs restoration unless it was a 72 and older, bought this car last summer for 7500 just the way it is in the pic, drove it home 350 miles, 318 air car.

Needs restored, that says enough. 2500-3500 is reasonable for one in that state.

how about some pics?Of the rusty areas
Oops, never mind. I found your ad in the Forsale section.

I just checked out the pictures of it too. By the time someone's done rebuilding the drivetrain, replacing the rusted panels, reupholstering, buying tires & wheels, etc... they'd have a lot of expenses. I hate to say it but the $2500 is probably not that far off. No disrespect intended.

not being a dick, just answering your question with my opinion, yes I think 8 grand is extremely high, 2500 is low but 8 is way high, if I was going to by a 73 I would just look for a slant 6 or 318 car, or a 74 or 75, just to get into one way cheaper, I just think no one in there right mind would pay that money for an a body that needs restoration unless it was a 72 and older, bought this car last summer for 7500 just the way it is in the pic, drove it home 350 miles, 318 air car.

Now that looks like a good buy for the money.

I bought this car for a fair price of 42 bills in my mind.
No, it's not a 4 speed car or a 340. It's an original 318 73 Gold Duster.
Was it worth it? Well, that can become a big question in many peoples eyes. I bought it because it was extremely clean and the year really did not take any precedence.
There are so many variables which can make the resto expensive. So, most people in general will look for anything which will cost them money to get the car where they personally want it, when it's completed on a car they are looking to buy.
I personally like taking crap apart and putting it back together. It's like therapy to me and a learning experience.
I know I won't get out of it what I will have in it, but I don't care. It's the fun of just doing the build and self satisfaction.
I'm not looking to make it a show car (which it will be nice when it's done), I want to drive it and have fun.
Just bide your time and it will sell eventually.
As stated earlier....the market does go up and down all the time. Location and what someone is willing to pay for the car are just a few other items that come into play.
Some people have a bit more money to spend than others. I am one of the "others". But I enjoy what I got and am thankful for it.
sideviewduster.jpg

The '73 and up "beak-nosed" a bodies will never be worth as much as a '70-'71..too many ugly things about them..

I'm with stroked340, 73 up cars get little respect,Maybe in the future.I took a completely original and rust free, nice looking 79 Chrysler 300 back to PA to sell to pay for body work on another car.The car was loaded and everything worked,Price was $5995 or best offer. Had several lookers but no takers. Not even a offer.I even told one guy that I would let it go for $4500.No dice.Another told me that the price should be under $3000.The guy next to me had a clapped out rust bucket 318 70 Dart,,,Had no problem getting his asking price of $5500.No quarters or floors,swiss cheese trunk.
The market place has plenty of peaks and valleys.We must be deep in the valley...

Bottom line is something is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.
It might be the area where you live, market conditions, the economy, the year, whatever.
You just have to find the right buyer to get top dollar for your car, which i think you are asking for it.
Be patient.

-
Back