an urgent what's it worth thread 70 340 block and...

-

squeek360

Reaction score
friend of mine is asking me for a price on a 70 340 block I have, as well as some 340 six pack heads I have. I believe its for a customer of the shop he works at. the heads are mint and the block is a stock bore bare block; however, it'll need atleast a .020 - .030 over bore to clean it up. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanx :D

the urgent nature is due to him wanting a price tonight.

...........block is $500.00........do the heads have the offset pushrod holes or r u going by casting #........$400.00 for regular 2.02s and the T/A head is atleast $1000.00..........kim.......

heads worth more if you have the rockers to go with the TA heads..

I sold my 69' 340 .30 over block 6 months ago for $175 but I sell **** to get rid of it not to hang onto it for a year trying to get the right buyer. I was only trying to recoup the $175 my 360 Block for my new build cost me.

I wouldn't pay $500 for a bare 340 block that needs a bore. But i could be wrong, have been many times before.

Sorry 1000 bucks for T/A heads ????? A have a T/A block and I would never pay that for heads. I will be buying new ones.

thanx for all the input. I didn't wanna toss out insane numbers for greed sake, nor did I want tp low ball myself either and wind up selling ta heads for the current going price of j heads or something foolish.

Some use 340 blocks in the NASCAR Canadian tire series. Ron Beauchamp (team Mopar) told me that they usually pay $500 for a standard bore block with caps.

I have a '70 that's std bore, already been cleaned and passed magnufluxing. One hole was bad so it's sleeved (properly). I've advertised it for $500 and had some interest but no buyers. So I'd say if it hasn't been inspected yet it's probably worth $300-350. It's worth what someone will pay. If it's "free shipping" as they say, it's worth more than something that's cheaper but 200 miles away or more.

...........block is $500.00........do the heads have the offset pushrod holes or r u going by casting #........$400.00 for regular 2.02s and the T/A head is atleast $1000.00..........kim.......

hey kim, baseing it off several factors, offset pushrod holes, casting numbers, the "U" designation vs X or J, date codes, offset adjustable rockers

heads worth more if you have the rockers to go with the TA heads..

the heads are complete with valves/springs/rockers

since posting this I've actually had some time to surf about the net and see what people have listed them for when they randomly come up for sale... it seems most are listed in the 1500+ range

on another note, I hit e bag to see if anything cylinder head related came up under "340 six pack", and some guy is selling a set of rockers(no shafts, just the rockers) for nearly 1200 bucks, yikes...thinking though he may be a bit out in the stratosphere on his price, you must be correct in the rockers adding value non the less lol

It's 2013, they quit making them 40 years ago.
Funny how performance parts cost so much...yet some people think they should be able to pick up a vintage limited production performance engine for a song...lol

I see rare Chevy power pack crap go for mucho bucks.. yet from a performance stand point or hp per dollar, u come up short in that example.

The best vintage american muscle car engine, the 340.

340-1 , 340-2, 340-3, 340-4, 340-5, 340-6, 340-7, 340-8 ??? The lower the number the more its worth. If its a 340-1 with a standard bore $$$$

340-1 , 340-2, 340-3, 340-4, 340-5, 340-6, 340-7, 340-8 ??? The lower the number the more its worth. If its a 340-1 with a standard bore $$$$

interesting info, curiously...what's the reasoning behind the lower number=more value? I checked and it's a -8 block.... other than that, all I know is the block is numbers matching to a 70 duster 4 speed car that's currently in the back yard so I have no question of its origin.

Yes, and the higher number ones are sometimes better as they figure out the shortcomings of the early castings...I wouldn't go on that myself. I have seen 340 blocks cast in july 67 that had -8's and that is just a month into production. They call it a revision for a reason, its revised....The core revision doesnt go by years, it goes by the cores used. A core is only good for a number of sand castings and it wears out, so they use many cores throughout the lifecycle. They are casting hundreds of these a day so they go though cores pretty fast. There is a theory that the lower core numbers have less core shift, but that has been debunked. I would almost bet the later core revisions had less core shift as they are monitoring this stuff throughout the production runs and making minute changes to compensate for production tolerances.

It doesn't have anything to do with the year, just the mold and how many revisions were made before it is replaced. I do not know how many revisions were done before they were replaced? I think I have seen a -8 on a 340. I have also seen a -12 on a 440? So again I do not know what the schedule was?

As Pishta said, I don't not know if that is a good or bad thing as I have heard differing stories. So I didn't comment on it just explaining on what the number meant. MRL has stated and I am sure he knows as that is his business, he said the later 340 blocks tend to be better than the early blocks as far as core shift etc.

It doesn't have anything to do with the year, just the mold and how many revisions were made before it is replaced. I do not know how many revisions were done before they were replaced? I think I have seen a -8 on a 340. I have also seen a -12 on a 440? So again I do not know what the schedule was?

As Pishta said, I don't not know if that is a good or bad thing as I have heard differing stories. So I didn't comment on it just explaining on what the number meant. MRL has stated and I am sure he knows as that is his business, he said the later 340 blocks tend to be better than the early blocks as far as core shift etc.

definitely interesting info non the less, the -# equaling revisions certainly makes sense to me now as currently mopar uses the AA, AB, etc to denote p/n revisions. as to the value; however, you'd think date codes would more affect value than revision numbers. It does seem, based on what you guys are saying, that these revision #'s are yearly based revisions rather than being based on the 68-73 lifespan of the engine. of course after reading these posts I ran out again and checked the date code, this one is 1.7.70

The revisions could have been "daily" revisions not yearly. it is a revision to the sand mold that the blocks are cast in. The year of the block probably matters more to someone looking for something specific than it being in fact worth more. Like a 67 casting is not so common. But 72 and 3's seem to come up a lot. The 72-3's are likely better blocks as MRL has stated - maybe better metallurgy? Again, I am talking blocks, not the guts. =)

based on what you guys are saying, that these revision #'s are yearly based revisions rather than being based on the 68-73 lifespan of the engine.

standard bore 340 blocks that to the eye look good are around $400 to $500... at least in the greater Chicago area

-
Back