And so it starts... 340 build

-
Does it matter where you put the hole? Or do you just center it in the plug?

@rumblefish360

Hey man what ya using for gaskets? If your interested i have a set of new fel pro perma torque head and intake gaskets your more than welcome to have. Not sure if you need custom ones or not. Arent crazy expensive but will save a little money and they are sitting in the house doing nothing just begging to be used on a engine. Also i wish i would of caught this sooner, i got a new set of freeze plugs id send ya too lol

Just figure id offer, didnt know if you were on a budget build or not.

0199E0AA-0A5B-4C3E-A992-DA3E651B2B7A.jpeg

Head gasket: 8553PT
Intake gasket: 90109-1

Lemme know man, i deff will be tuning in.

Last edited:
Does it matter where you put the hole? Or do you just center it in the plug?
I centered the hole.
But we know it will be done right. Ready to watch a master at work.
Well thanks but like I said, this is just a refreshing. I don’t call this “My build.”

When the time comes, I will show “My Build.” Currently, I would have to simply call my position, “Stuck.” LMAO!

I did run into a problem with this one and I do think it is my fault. I left it laying around for to long and gathered more parts which may have gotten mixed up!

EEEEKKKK!

Tomorrow I will have to revisit the machinist and check 4 other blocks. And in the meantime.... to make matters worse (?) I started to disassemble another 340. Yup! 2 has n the plate. Perhaps, I should have taken pictures of that tear down as well!
More chaos !!!!!

Stay tuned, this maybe a slow go until the wrinkles get ironed out. I’ll be honest, I thought I had this. As proven by a threads start.
How does the saying go? Chit happens?
LOL!

@rumblefish360

Hey man what ya using for gaskets? If your interested i have a set of new fel pro perma torque head and intake gaskets your more than welcome to have. Not sure if you need custom ones or not. Arent crazy expensive but will save a little money and they are sitting in the house doing nothing just begging to be used on a engine. Also i wish i would of caught this sooner, i got a new set of freeze plugs id send ya too lol

Just figure id offer, didnt know if you were on a budget build or not.

View attachment 1715214633

Head gasket: 8553PT
Intake gasket: 90109-1

Lemme know man, i deff will be tuning in.

Well sure! I’ll send ya some bucks for them. PM me with your “Extra parts list” please.

Well sure! I’ll send ya some bucks for them. PM me with your “Extra parts list” please.

Will do! Im not worried about collecting money for them, my engine builder had to have custom head gaskets made for my 340 so thats the head gaskets werent used, not sure why i have a extra set of intake gaskets though lol. I will look and see what all i have, i threw a bunch of misc gaskets and stuff out, i also have two used rocker shafts with rocker arms if your interested.

Thanks but the rocker arm set up would be a negative Ghost Rider. I have lots of stock parts.
:lol:
But the those gaskets would be helpful!

Ill double check tomorrow and see what all other stuff i have that may be usefull for you.

Yeah i figured that on the rocker shafts, exactly why i have em, upgraded to roller rockers. Im sure theres a small block chrysler rocker shaft in every garage in the U.S. lol

@72Dart6pack
And this is what makes FABO such a good place, because of good fellas.
Donated free of charge.

image.jpg

The current state of the 340 started is in hold as the other 340 is being checked out. (I didn’t wanna do that yet! Ugh!)
The engine is getting a cleaning of the oil passages and a quick home.

Thanks for standing by. I will return ....

You're not done yet? lol
Ya! Tell me about it! UGH! I’ve been slowed by a few things and the mess I unknowingly created will have to be straightened out after I get the 2nd 340 back. When ever he is done. There’s no rush for me. He isn’t jammed up. Only 11 engines in his shop right now.
Normally it’ll take me 2 days to screw an engine togther. (I am working 4pm-12am shifts) A little one day, a little the next, 3rd day, drop it in & go. No rushing, just the time needed to focus on the task at hand and nothing else. (Ya right! Like that will ever happen!)
Glad it arrived unbent lol, i tried to find the thickest cardboard i could.

Keep us posted!

Well packed and arrived straight!
Will do on the listed bizness!

Just curious whats the problem you mentioned ? Mixed up parts ?
had the wrong block cleaned up ?

Mixed parts up, I do think so. I went to show the piston install and the slugs sat on top of the block like a king on a throne.
Before I reached that point, I dropped off my other 340 to the machinist. Rather than dump more parts on him to create a potential bigger mess for me, I’ll wait. I also have 2 other 340 blocks on the side.

I have a ton of crap going on besides this so my time is limited and well booked. While it appears I have a lot of free time to post, it is more in between chores and work duties. AKA, not actual free time at home which I have a short surplus of. LMAO.

Last edited:
OH! The current 340 is at the machinist. The engine broke a top ring in #2 & #8, wrecked those con rods bearings and the a bit of the crank & #8 crank journal was beat up.

That crank is in line to be worked on now.
Cod rods will be checked
Block is getting cleaned, honed, and bolt holes chased. I’ll get this one back with new frost plugs and cleaned oil galleys ready to assemble.
Though it may be easier just to have him do it. I am short on space and with not a whole lot of time to start in on multiple builds. Hummmm....

Anyways, it was just to be a simple thread.....

The rings that broke, is unknown and I didn’t inspect it any further than seeing it was broken and taking a two point shot into the garbage.

Likely cause is over revving the engine. The rods on the broken piston rings and one crank journal had bearing issues. The crank is at the crank house now waiting it’s turn. The block is being cleaned & inspected to be honed.

Previous owners doing, not mine.
No oil mods needed for the plan.

Subscribing to learn a few things. Ohhhhh who am I kidding - Subscribing to learn it all.

The rings that broke, is unknown and I didn’t inspect it any further than seeing it was broken and taking a two point shot into the garbage.

Likely cause is over revving the engine. The rods on the broken piston rings and one crank journal had bearing issues. The crank is at the crank house now waiting it’s turn. The block is being cleaned & inspected to be honed.
Rings break from detonation.

And another handy tip for you novice engine builders.
This is a “sacrificial” 6 inch 3/8 drive extension. It is a good fit for the plugs at the front of the block. A little more Indian head gasket and drive them in a bit. They should be counter sunk.
There is also a trick mod to be done here later. A small drill hole on the driver side plug to spray some oil onto the timing chain for that little extra oil insurance that can only help during high rpm runs. A drilled a 3/32 hole in the plug. I think that was a bit big when I was done. Installed now. Coffee break.... LOL
(Not that this engine will, maybe, I think. OH! I don’t know....)

View attachment 1715213871

I don't put squares in round holes because it puts four point pressure and distorts the circle out of round. To each his own.
I set them into the holes by hand and then use a 2 lb sledge and pop them flat in.
Others tap them for threaded plugs.... either way a cam plate covers them.

They sell freeze plug glue... but you dont have to use it. The indian head is good for intake gasket fitment, thermostat gasket, oil pan and valve covers. Gaskesinch by edelpuke works the same... as pematex in the can does too.

I don't put squares in round holes because it puts four point pressure and distorts the circle out of round. To each his own.
Never had that problem.

They sell freeze plug glue... but you dont have to use it.[/QUOTE]
How makes this?

Most times, nope. Unless the ring gaps were too small and engine got too hot and the rings butted.

How would too much rpm's break rings, rods or pistons yeah but rings

todays gasoline is so 'weak' octane wise, its the likely reason the rings broke, IMO

-
Back