Another 727 leak question

-

Renegade

Reaction score
I searched through many old forums but couldn't find anything.

My 727 Auto transmission leaks real bad where the drive shaft yoke slips into the transmission tailhousing especially when im parked on a hill after ive been driving awhile. I've replaced the rear output seal and that didn't help. I was told there is a bushing inside the tail housing that could be bad. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Josh

Sorry im a newbe, not sure what your asking.. the grooves on the slip yoke that go onto the output shaft?

I think what green1 is referring to is sometimes the yoke will have a groove worn in it from the seal riding on it. When there is a groove worn on the yoke where the seal rides you need to replace the yoke.

Generally if the bushing is bad you'll have a vibration.

Thanks for the replies,

No vibrations that I can tell... I will check the yoke..

Thanks

My 727 leaked through the end of the yoke facing the u joint through a small hole. I took the drive shaft out cleaned and degreased the yoke face reaching in with a tooth brush sized wire brush. stood the shaft on end of the yoke and tied it up to the wall in my garage and put a layer of jb weld over the hole and it hasn't leaked in years.

My 727 leaked through the end of the yoke facing the u joint through a small hole. I took the drive shaft out cleaned and degreased the yoke face reaching in with a tooth brush sized wire brush. stood the shaft on end of the yoke and tied it up to the wall in my garage and put a layer of jb weld over the hole and it hasn't leaked in years.

Yes, as stated above, make sure it's not actually coming out of the yoke itself & not the seal.

I had the same issue. There is a plug on the yoke that slips in the trans. Its welded and mine had rusted a bit and started leaking fluid between the yoke and ujoint. I would replace the yoke.

-
Back