ANOTHER 727 QUESTION

-

honcho

Reaction score
Run valvoline in all my stuff, ya run merc/dext3 in any of ya's vehicle's? I think dext3 is ok to run in727's,been awhile since I changed mine and did not write down what I put in last time,Thanks in advance:confederateflag::confederateflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::thankyou::thumbsup:

good old type f - ran it in every torqueflite i`ve ever owned , 426 hemi superstock , to 505 streetcar---------------

Man that stuff shifts hard. You are a better man than me, I drained it out of my street 383 Barracuda after a few miles.

Man that stuff shifts hard. You are a better man than me, I drained it out of my street 383 Barracuda after a few miles.
I thought a very firm shift was what we enthusiasts liked about our AT's! I was taught that a firm shift reduced the clutch slippage, thus reducing heat buildup & prolonging their life.

You were taught correctly, but how hard is hard? Try it some time. It only costs tranny fluid to try it. My 68 would go sideways about a foot or two from 1st to 2nd floored and that was with Dextron. With type F fluid it was bone jarring. Racing maybe, not for me in a street car. I'll not try it again.

You were taught correctly, but how hard is hard? Try it some time. It only costs tranny fluid to try it. My 68 would go sideways about a foot or two from 1st to 2nd floored and that was with Dextron. With type F fluid it was bone jarring. Racing maybe, not for me in a street car. I'll not try it again.
Are you talking about a stock transmission doing that? Did you install a shift kit? I've used "F" for a long time and never had that experience, both with stock & transmissions built with modified innards.

Basically stock HP with mods. I'm glad yours was not as harsh. Or maybe you can tolerate the shifts better than me also.

Basically stock HP with mods. I'm glad yours was not as harsh. Or maybe you can tolerate the shifts better than me also.
For me, I don't like a "hard" shift like a "bang", but I like "fast" shifts for sure. A fast shift can sometimes be considered hard if there is play in the driveline (U-joints, rear end, etc.). Sometimes folks set the line pressure too high in the valve body, and that can cause some issues too.

Yeah, it was a bang for sure. It shifts fast and good. I was quite taken back when I tried "F" type fluid. Pressure was up and either 5.0 or 4.2 kickdown lever with a blocked accumulator piston. All was good when I drained the "F" fluid and put Dextron back in. I just chalked it up to "not all race upgrades are good on the street". It is an original 383 Formula S and the drive train is good.

Yeah, it was a bang for sure. It shifts fast and good. I was quite taken back when I tried "F" type fluid. Pressure was up and either 5.0 or 4.2 kickdown lever with a blocked accumulator piston. All was good when I drained the "F" fluid and put Dextron back in. I just chalked it up to "not all race upgrades are good on the street". It is an original 383 Formula S and the drive train is good.
Interesting! I too run the blocker rod in my street car. Installed the Fairbanks shift kit, which is the same one I've run in all my cars. Other folks like B&M and Transgo, so guess it depends on what people are used to. Next month I am having the unit rebuilt with heavy duty parts to handle the power of my new engine. And thanks to Kim, I now have a 4 pinion planetary in case the original only has 3.

-
Back