Another straggler followed me home!

-
What are you doing to the E-body work bench in the shop?

LOL, that's my 71 RT. Hemi Orange, build sheet and fender tag. Believe it or not, 15-20 years after it was parted out I recovered the original engine! That one is a slow build. I am at quarters and extensions on it now. It was a merely shell when it followed me home. Floor pans yanked out, partially sand blasted and left for dead. Not a screw or bolt left on it. I have since acquired a parts car and many pieces for it.

IMG_2318.JPG
IMG_2320.JPG

71 is a nice body style, I hope you have the grill for it.
It is an expensive part to replace.

I now have 2. One needs a 9" section on one end! That is why I had to buck up and buy another complete. I couldn't find anyone with, or that would sell, that section!

Put it together, my first E-body was a 71 challenger, drove the crap out of that car, should have never sold it.

Doors are primed on the outside and getting black on the inside. The driver door is nice but the pass side has some putty in it. If I would have remembered that I would have grabbed another door while I was at Tom's parts yard! OH well, next trip. For now it will get paint to match everything anyway.

View attachment 1715220312 View attachment 1715220313
Looking good, George!
Who is this Tom guy you talk about?
I would like to meet him one day, maybe he has some parts i could use.
I hope he isn't one of those hoarders you always seem to hear about...............

Looking good, George!
Who is this Tom guy you talk about?
I would like to meet him one day, maybe he has some parts i could use.
I hope he isn't one of those hoarders you always seem to hear about...............

Thanx Dartnut. I appreciate that. I think you would like this Tom guy. He has a ton of A-body stuff and cool cars too! Too many projects like the rest of us!

I figured I would play with the dash today. It is turning out pretty good.

IMG_6939.JPG
IMG_6941.JPG

And some new parts have come into my possession. I got them a week ago. The driver side will need a skin from the mid line down and the pass side merely needs two patches in front of and behind the wheel house. But............I'm not taking those on today. I'm going to look at my fenders and tune them up.

IMG_6945.JPG
IMG_6947.JPG

Driver side. The worse of the two. It had rusted out the lower leg and had poked through at the top where the cowl bolt is. But the front is great with no previous repairs. My repair fender had collision damage at the front, but was rust free. What is the best thing to do? Rather than peel the skin and repair the leg..........surgery! :) Measure 342 times.........cut once! You can see all my little marks with numbers beside them. These are so I can measure and be sure it is exactly the same length it was before I chopped it!

IMG_6950.JPG
IMG_6951.JPG
IMG_6952.JPG
IMG_6953.JPG
IMG_6954.JPG
IMG_6955.JPG
IMG_6956.JPG
IMG_6957.JPG
IMG_6958.JPG
IMG_6959.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you R4. Much appreciated.

I forgot to weld the two emblem holes up. The 72 didn't have holes. I imagine it was a sticker. I do have emblems that I could put on it though.

Thank you very much Mike. I do love this process. Everything is so visible once it is completed. There are so many tasks that take much time but don't give the obvious change that comes with this part of it. Today I'll do the pass fender and then maybe start cutting the pass quarter into patches. I would like to have this car a "body in white" by next week. Then it will be back to the 69!

And more decisions! The original fender had rust in a few spots including the leg, the cowl mount, the front tip and the mounting tab itself. My replacement fender is one I saved from the scrap heap. It had the lower edges hacked out of the wheel well and a big dent at the front, but it is rust free. Oh, and it was a 70. So I decided to convert and use the 70. I cut the sections for the wheel arch out of the leftovers from yesterday and I had a 72 marker cut out stored away from a previous part out.

IMG_6971.JPG
IMG_6976.JPG
IMG_6977.JPG
IMG_6973.JPG
IMG_6975.JPG
IMG_6974.JPG
IMG_6978.JPG
IMG_6980.JPG
IMG_6981.JPG
IMG_6985.JPG

Marching right along...............
That's why you never throw anything away.
It might come in handy some day, and today is the day!
I gotta visit you this weekend and see the progress in person and give you my squeal of approval.
You need to give me the contact info for this Tom guy anyway................

Come on over anytime Dartnut. Tom is a good guy. Not really a hoarder, more like......Guardian of all things Mopar. I'm sure you will get along, your tastes and opinions are eerily similar!

The fenders are done. I am glad I was able to use this 70 fender. It sure was a waste to hack the little chunks out that whoever had it before me did. Oh well, it's not a 70 fender anymore! I have one little patch in the engine bay and two small floor patches and then all that is left is the quarters. This car is an easy venture. I wish they all were like this!

IMG_6987.JPG
IMG_6988.JPG
IMG_6989.JPG

Today was a lazy day. I repaired the passenger inner fender and then sanded and primed the deck lid. That's it. Then Dartnut stopped by and we enjoyed a couple cool ones while discussing all the important stuff in life........you know, cars etc! And now being Saturday night, I'm taking a break. Unless I find something else to tinker with!

IMG_6990.JPG
IMG_6991.JPG
IMG_6993.JPG

Last edited:
I hate welding up! I had to make a small repair on the driver side rocker front and on the torsion bar cross member. I hate welding upside down! But I git them. Then I have a patch in the rocker itself and a bit on the driver door as well. Oh ya, that gantry holding up the car was the best $400 I ever spent! It comes in very handy for many many things.

IMG_7012.JPG
IMG_7013.JPG
IMG_7015.JPG
IMG_7019.JPG
IMG_7020.JPG
IMG_7022.JPG
IMG_7016.JPG
IMG_7017.JPG

-
Back