Another Wiper motor wiring issue - always ON no matter the key position

-

Mopar King

Beginner / Need of Help
Reaction score
hello ForAbodiesonly,
I haven't been here in a long time cause life has been busy for me (started here since i was 16 and been lurking back then) and i haven't had the time to play around with my car but since i am getting back to fixing my car Im a little rusty but not dead yet.

Car is a 1972 Plymouth Scamp - Slant six - auto transmission. wiper motor is the side motor version; not the one that stick outward (towards the front of the car)

As the title says, I am have issues with my wiper motor; it stays on while on accessory mode, run mode and start mode. It is ONLY off while the car is OFF.

The bulkhead connector from the wiper motor was disconnected at the time and the pervious owner anciently melted it on the exhaust pipe. I been trying to troubleshoot it all day and i cant get it to shut off. I tried to replicate the connection but i cant remember where one of the wires connects to but they did had The "C" Terminal jumped onto the brown/yellow line wire (starter relay wire). The "D" terminal was also connected but it melted beyond recognition.

I been looking at wiring diagrams and I really don't need the wiper washer motor "D" terminal as i don't have the bottle anyways. I did tried connecting it the same way the pervious owner did and it just stays ON all the time. I tried to connect it the factory way which is jumping the "C" wire from the terminal to one of the black wires on the neutral safety switch and it still stays on. I even tried it without the "C" terminal connect and it still stays on.

I cleaned the little brass grounding strap located on the wiper motor and still no good. I changed the wiper motor switch on the dash cluster just to see if it was sometime stupid and it didnt do anything. I did clean all the contacts on my cluster to a bright copper.

I feel like i might have a grounding issue (missing ground?) OR *maybe just maybe* my wiper motor might be the culprit. I Dont have the wiper arms connected onto the motor - i dont think that got anything to do with the electric issue but i just want to mention it. I colored the diagram i found here for easy reference. any advice or if i miss some info let me know and i'll try to post it thx

upload_2022-7-29_22-28-20.jpeg

The diagram you posted is aftermarket, not factory. Sorry but I have never sat down with the various motors and spent time figuring them out. Only advice I have is go over to MyMopar and download a factory manual for free.

they do have some troubleshooting info in the text of section 8, as well as the diagrams later one

hi friend 67dart273,

I did downloaded the Mymopar wiring diagram and this is from the Mymopar site. I didnt knew the diagram i downloaded was aftermarket, looks very factory to me.

It looks all self explanatory wiring wise but it doesn't give me the answer as to why the motor stays ON on all three key positions. im downloading the service manual for '70 challenger/dart cause that is the closest to my cars year make and model

i was reading around and this is what i found. maybe my motor is bad or one of the ground is missing / not grounded
-not sure how many ground points there are but from what i know its the
  • brass strip from the motor
  • wiper motor to body
  • wiper motor switch on dash cluster
  • one of the wires connected to the wiper motor - i think its green (i maybe wrong on this one).

I guess i'll take the motor off the car and give it a good inspection. i did almost all the steps but i could have miss one or two. any advice on testing motor with a multi meter? i always love to learn something new from veterans here

Wiper motor won’t shut off?

just leaving this here for refeance for someone. i'll look though the books today but this is what i first found. it maybe my problem but i'll let you know. if anyone has any ideas i like to hear it

Screenshot (803).jpg

After skim reading through the manuals and online forums everything is pretty simple. Now i did change the wiper motor with another spare one i had and it works!!!

I'll try to post clear photos of me dismantling the broken wiper motor and repair it (hopefully). For reference in case someone has this problem again

Now my new question is : do I need to connect the "C" Terminal wire from the bulkhead to the neutral safety switch wire? like in the manuals

The reason i ask is because the wiper motor still functions perfect without it. I could simply ignore it and call it a day BUT i hate not figuring stuff out.

there is a saying a lot of old timers quote : "there is always a reason behind everything"

-
Back