Anti seize on spark plugs in aluminum heads?

-
If Edelbrock recommends the use of anti-seize why wouldn't you not use it ? doesn't seem to be in your best interest not to use it .

Yeah, I just don't get it. I think some people will argue just for the sake of it. Screw um. Let their plugs seize up.

It is amazing how that **** gets everywhere, no matter how careful you are it winds up in your hair your clothes your elbows and even gets on the wife. It's amazing I tell ya.

It is amazing how that **** gets everywhere, no matter how careful you are it winds up in your hair your clothes your elbows and even gets on the wife. It's amazing I tell ya.
I wear gloves and carefully remove the gloves as if they had COVID on them when I'm done with the anti cease. I then go inside wash my hands and sit to watch TV. Then my wife walks in and says, "What's that silver stuff on your forehead and on your ear!!":mad::mob::realcrazy::BangHead:

We had the aluminum anti seize at work but i bought some of the copper anti seize instead. Too much, too little or the right amount?

452FCC36-A85C-46E2-99AC-F96FAE5CC47A.jpeg

i thought you want to start at the 2nd or 3rd thread to prevent contaminating the tip
You do need to apply it carefully I use an little paint brush that I have keep for decades just for applying anti seize to plugs.
The anti sieze cant do its job if its not covering the threads that are in contact with two dissimilar metals.
You are correct dont get it on the plug tip.

You do need to apply it carefully I use an little paint brush that I have keep for decades just for applying anti seize to plugs.
The anti sieze cant do its job if its not covering the threads that are in contact with two dissimilar metals.
You are correct dont get it on the plug tip.
And don't forget to get some on your face, elbows, ears and clothes before installing plugs!!:rofl::rofl:
If you don't get any on your body or clothes you're doing something wrong and will need to remove the plugs and start all over.

So upon finding the cracked porcelain on my number 1 plug im going to replace all 8, my question is ive never put anti seize on them before and had no problems removing them, edelbrock says to use anti seize and torque to 10 ft lbs, ngk states that their spark plugs are coated with a special coating and no antiseize is needed and they recommend 18-22 ft lbs.

Decades ago I pulled the threads out of one of the aluminum heads on my Subaru because the threads on a plug seized up because I did not use antiseze; since that time I have been a dedicated user. I can't quite understand why you think you don't need it.

What ever you do good luck.

Decades ago I pulled the threads out of one of the aluminum heads on my Subaru because the threads on a plug seized up because I did not use antiseze; since that time I have been a dedicated user. I can't quite understand why you think you don't need it.

What ever you do good luck.
Same thing happened to me, made me a believer. It usually happens when you buy a used car and go to change the plugs for the first time. The previous owner didn't bother to use anti seize and you end up stripping the treads when you remove the plugs. Helicoil and then anti seize.

And don't forget to get some on your face, elbows, ears and clothes before installing plugs!!:rofl::rofl:
If you don't get any on your body or clothes you're doing something wrong and will need to remove the plugs and start all over.
I remember decades ago when working on large industrial engines we had spray on anti seize, it would get on everything, tasted really bad.

I forgot the damn in/lb torque wrench at work lol. Ended up going about 3/4 turn past finger tight. Felt about right

NGK says don't with their plugs.

20201208_125804.png

NGK says don't with their plugs.

View attachment 1715644718

its funny because in the edelbrock heads they recommend a champion rc12yc plug and anti seize. The champion rc12yc plugs also supposedly use a coating. Ngk also says its ok to use anti seize upon installation if the plugs have been previously installed and removed. Seems to me the biggest issue is over tightening. I would imagine youd have to tighten a spark plug pretty far to damage it or the head. You should be able to feel the washer crush

I notice nobody mentions getting it on their nose, including in, you know, the telltale silver rings around the nostrils.....what, NOBODY picks their nose these days? Come On!!:eek:

Trust me, you'll be convinced to start using antiseize on aluminum heads right after you pay an engine shop to helicoil all your plug holes after you've decided it wasn't needed!

It sounds like NGK is saying, hey dummies who apply anti-seize and torque plugs, it acts as a lubricant causing you to over tighten and stretch the threads within the head, ruining them.

Thread breakage appears to be referring to the cylinder head, as they state you would need to remove the head to fix.

Metal shell stretch changes the heat range of the spark plug, what does this mean exactly?

-
Back