Any love for a 373 SB

-
Mine is a MP dual pattern.
I also have a MP forged MP 3.45 crank that is a single pattern 8 bolt.

Mine is a MP dual pattern.
I also have a MP forged MP 3.45 crank that is a single pattern 8 bolt.

I have a 3.79 stroke crank with that damned 8 bolt flange. I sold my last 8 bolt flywheel in 2005 or so.

I’d trade my crank for the same stroke with a 6 bolt or dual pattern crank just to keep from buying another flywheel.

Pfst! Expensive bastards they are. The single pattern 8 bolt will be back by an automatic trans. I have the B&M plate. So much easier and cheaper.

Slugs for the 340 sized main 3.45 stroke is another story. I have the matching pistons to the crank. BUT! There 4.03 in size. (It was part of a package deal....)

I could cut a 360 (cast) crank for this. But... I’m not so amused with de-stroking a 360 just to use the slugs.

I still got 2 340 main 3.58 stroke cranks in their boxes. from MP ......
did you buy them from Mancini when they were clearing them out a couple years ago? I wish I would have grabbed one! Are you wanting to get rid of one of them?

Any love for a "373"?? Not from me, I'd build the 360 at .040 and have nearly the same thing for a ton less money.

Any love for a "373"?? Not from me, I'd build the 360 at .040 and have nearly the same thing for a ton less money.
I totally understand your statement if stock components are to be used but if you upgrade to forged crankshaft aftermarket rods etc the price becomes a lot closer

Last edited:
did you buy them from Mancini when they were clearing them out a couple years ago? I wish I would have grabbed one! Are you wanting to get rid of one of them?
Thats when and where I got mine from. $400 to my door. CAn't beat it with a stick! Couyldn't say NO! to it.

I too have 4.04 x3.58, with KB107s, and Eddelbrock heads. It fell together with excellent Scr and squish. I have had three different cams from 292 to 270, in that baby since 1999, and it was a dynomite streeter with every one. Believe it or not, my favorite was the 270.

I totally understand your statement if stock components are to be used but if you upgrade to forge crankshaft aftermarket rods etc the price becomes a lot closer
Using stock components was the whole idea behind this combination in the early 70s when there were not many stroker parts available. These days its cheaper to build a 408 or 416 (with shelf parts) rather than a forged 3.58 stroke 340, which will be pretty much custom everything, more expensive, more machine work, and less cubes in the end.

Using stock components was the whole idea behind this combination in the early 70s when there were not many stroker parts available. These days its cheaper to build a 408 or 416 (with shelf parts) rather than a forged 3.58 stroke 340, which will be pretty much custom everything, more expensive, more machine work, and less cubes in the end.
I'm not sure what machine work you're talking about, and I understand how they used to turn down 360 cranks to a 340 main journal size not ideal. The rest is really straightforward bolt up stuff. And I would buy a crankshaft forged, I have no desire to move to a cast crank after running 340 forged especially with a four-speed car

I'm not sure what machine work you're talking about, and I understand how they used to turn down 360 cranks to a 340 main journal size not ideal. The rest is really straightforward bolt up stuff. And I would buy a crankshaft forged, I have no desire to move to a cast crank after running 340 forged especially with a four-speed car
The whole idea your talking about involves the cast 360 crank...the additional cost to turn that down, the pistons have to be machined on the tops and bottoms to clear the crank, ect ect. That's why I say a 360 is nearly as good, and cheaper, the 408 is also cheaper than your 373 recipe.... just one man's opinion.

The whole idea your talking about involves the cast 360 crank...the additional cost to turn that down, the pistons have to be machined on the tops and bottoms to clear the crank, ect ect. That's why I say a 360 is nearly as good, and cheaper, the 408 is also cheaper than your 373 recipe.... just one man's opinion.
No the whole idea you're talking about involves turning a 360 crank down. What I'm talking about is putting a forged 340 crank that has a 3.58 stroke along with 30 or 40 over 340 at 4.070 4 .080 bore to create a 371_373. turning down crankshafts is obsolete

Not mancini...but someone had a close out of them....

No the whole idea you're talking about involves turning a 360 crank down. What I'm talking about is putting a forged 340 crank that has a 3.58 stroke along with 30 or 40 over 340 at 4.070 4 .080 bore to create a 371_373 turning down crankshaft is obsolete
Oh ok...your post clearly stated "373" and reference to the, yes, obsolete idea of the 360 crank. I didn't realize you were talking about a 3.58 340 main crank. Carry on

How do you feel about the old 373 build? Which is the old 340 block with a 360 stroke crankshaft. It's one of my favorites I just love the bore stroke ratio ,piston speed and other dynamics of the combo. It is falling out of Grace with the low cost 4 in strokers what's your opinion?
And right here your talking about EXACTLY what I was addressing.....

I remember the article reusing the OEM stock parts for the build. That’s all there was back then. I’m not sure there were any stroker kits or just stroker cranks back in the 70’s at all. It was a smart move to look at all the parts and think about how they can be repurposed.
Here are a few of today’s options from Hughes engines.
They are all cast crank and Hyperutecic pistons for a closer direct comparison of parts used. The last one is the cost jump of forged crank & pistons as well as additional stroke.
Hughes Engines
372 = $1596
Hughes Engines
340 - 416 =$1676

Hughes Engines
360 - 408 = $1781

Hughes Engines
340 - 435 = Ka!-Ching!!!!!

Cheap Chinese cranks has fostered a new found love for dump truck like torque curves.

I think the availability of a big bore SBM at a reasonable price would turn that around. If I had realized I would spend over $2k on machine work rebuilding my 360 block I would have built a Ritter block with a big bore, small mains/ rod journals and bought the used mega $$$ NASCAR crank I found for $600...
funny you mention I am going ovcer a 340,and I am noticing alot of "cheap parts" that weren't around say 10-15 years ago. IMO there were better quality parts around back in the 2000s I suppose there still is good quality but it isnt cheap.

One of the things that I've noticed with the 360 stroke 340 bore builds is a compression with a flat top piston always lands right in The Sweet spot with a 65cc chamber you're always right around 10-5 to 10-7 with with aluminum head and moderate duration camshaft that's about perfect for a premium gas hot Street motor in my opinion.

Another best banger.....Early model 360 block...stock 3.58 cast crank....no name H beam rods ....MP pistons for a 3.51 stroke.....Eddy ported heads...Hughes 6064 Flat Tappet...No magazine or photos...no dyno corrected HP....Just ET slips and Video....Engine Ran for 10 seasons....and is now the crank and block is still alive as a .070 360....

Check the signature below for 71 Dart 360....

Any love for a 373? Yes! I have quite the affinity for this 371 built in 2011. Probably the best bang for the buck IMO of all SBM's at this power level. I did it with a very simple 360 .060" block, 3.58" Eagle crank, Scat 6.123" rods << Doesn't get much simpler or cheaper than that. J.Rob
371ci Mopar Small Block - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine
Yes that article always impressed me

-
Back