Any one interested in the oiling mods I did?

-
Yes there will be updates. I just finished screening the valley and I plan to ream and tube the right galley this weekend but we all know how plans change so keep your fingers crossed as I'll post pics of all this.

You can do all this to a magnum as well EXCEPT blocking the left galley and tubing the right galley if you plan to use hydraulic lifters and/or pushrod oil the rockers. Many magnum blocks have the block drilled for head oiling so that's where you need to be careful. Keep in mind this is a race engine and although most all the mods can be applied to street/strip engines blocking the oil to the tappets can not be done with hydraulics and/or pushrod oiled magnum heads.

I am really interested in seeing the bearings modified.

onig

I will take pics of them as well.

It doesn't look like I'll be able to ream the block this weekend. I have to work today (saturday) and Sunday it's supposed to rain so since the block has to travel in the back of my open pickup truck I don't want to transport it in the rain. Hopefully next weekend but I will post pics of the screening and the bearings, I still have a little work to do to the bearings I think. I'll have to look at them when I get home.

Alot of good stuff! I use alot of these oiling mods excluding the cross over. I also drill 8 5/16 holes. 1 between every pair of lifters to help oil drain back to the pan quicker. Have had another member claim they are shifting there stock 340 @ 8000. Ive seen over a dozen 340s spin rod bearings at the track w only 7000 shifts. Alot of wasted money, only if people had taken that extra time to improve on the oiling system they would have saved in the long run. Myself included. I blew one up, and now take the extra time to try and prevent the problem before it happens. Oiling is definatly an issue w high reving small blocks, and alot of guys dont like to share there oiling mods. Thanks for sharing

First off GJ, I love the way your car launches.
Secondly, thanks for posting this as many people would not spend the time to do this especially with pictures, I take my hat off to you.

I understand and agree with the oiling mods except one of them which needs clarification for me when using hydraulic lifters.

Now for you guys running hydraulics this is the best thing for you to do. Instead of blocking the oil from the main bearing saddle to the left side galley, block the oil to the #1 main saddle coming from the right lifter galley. You'll then need to drill tap and fabricate a line from the right galley to the left galley such as this. Use either 3/8 hard line or -6 braided line.
I am having a hard time understanding the cross tube aspect of this modification, especially when blocking off the feed to the #1 main bearing.
Here’s why;
· The tube from the right oil galley is feeding the left oil galley and that oil must make 5 turns to get to the #1 main bearing
· Every turn reduces flow
I just can’t see how this is beneficial, 5 turns (when blocking #1 main from right side) to 1 turn (if not blocking #1 main in stock configuration) and not using the cross tube.

From Moper's post;

Also, the reason for the crossover tube as I understand it is not to help oil the tappets on the left side but rather to help the #4 main. #5 is fed from the main passage itself but #4 starves at high rpm and that cross over helps the oil turn and go down to the main bearing. I've done that mod on an engine that had issues with the #4 main showing signs of starvation and it solved it.

Now, if it is true that this cross tube helps prevent starving of #4 main bearing help me understand this as well. Here is my take on this.
· #1 main is NOT blocked off
· The cross tube is fed by the left oil galley
· When the tube feeds the right oil galley it is travelling vertically smashing through the oil in the right galley traveling horizontally
· This smashing of the two different travel paths are causing turbulence

Can I get reasoning being this cross tube mod. Am I missing something here?

I am not questioning your skills or knowledge, just trying to understand the why behind it. I will be doing these mods but am holding off on this cross tube part until further clarification.

A couple of more questions.
· When restricting the oil to the cam bearings we do #1, and #3, what about #5?
· For the cross tube, is it possible to use straight fittings and just bend the line to eliminate two of the corners for better flow since it can be smooth, if there is enough room, just a thought/suggestion.

I appreciate your efforts and eagerly wait for your reply.

Thanks
onig

Here is a pic of the factory oiling system, FYI.

onig

Attachments

• Engine Oiling System - 360.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2,968
Well what you are doing when you use the cross tube and block the oil to the #1 main from the right galley is you are not feeding a lifter galley off a main bearing. This directs more oil to the main as it is now the end of the line. In other words none of the oil that is reaching that bearing has to go feed anything else except the rod bearing.

As for that mod doing something for the #4 main I don't see it, but I'll be the first to admit I don't know it all.

Oh and as for restricting oil to the #5 cam bearing, I'm looking into that. Haven't found a way to accomplish that easily yet.

And for the tube, I've seen it done a couple different ways including AN fittings and braided hose. You'll have to experiment with that.

And sorry, I didn't get to do anything this weekend. I mocked up the engine and found I only have .005 piston to valve clearance so I spent the rest of the weekend worrying about that. lol

Thanks.

Well what you are doing when you use the cross tube and block the oil to the #1 main from the right galley is you are not feeding a lifter galley off a main bearing. This directs more oil to the main as it is now the end of the line. In other words none of the oil that is reaching that bearing has to go feed anything else except the rod bearing.

did you really mean to say 'block off the passage FROM #1 main to the Left lifter galley"

What about restricting the #5 cam bearing, you did not mention anything about that on the first page?

thanks for posting.

onig

What are you going to do to get more PTV clearance, flycut, change cam or ratio, head gasket?
Just curious.

onig

What about restricting the #5 cam bearing, you did not mention anything about that on the first page?

he added that information to his post

Thanks.

did you really mean to say 'block off the passage FROM #1 main to the Left lifter galley"

onig

Adult onset Dyslexia I guess, sorry about that. Or it just may have been the Corona talking, lol. When using the crossover tube method you block the oil from the right galley to the #1 main and use the left galley to feed the #1 main.

What are you going to do to get more PTV clearance, flycut, change cam or ratio, head gasket?
Just curious.

onig

Not sure yet, I'll have to contact Wiseco and find out how deep I can safely cut the valve reliefs in these pistons. Once I know that I'll be able to make a determination.

I found out why I didn't have enough clearance. It was a combination of things. The first is the dial indicator set up I used was one of those flexible shaft things that you tighten up and it's supposed to hold its shape, I don't like it but it's the first time I used it. Second and I noticed this the first day I was checking it is the cam would slide back a little bit every time I took the gear on and off. The plug is not in the back of the cam tunnel yet, so once in a while the intake lifter would catch the adjacent lobe screwing up my results more. Third was sometimes after I pressed the rocker to get the measurement the pushrod would come out of the seat in the lifter and would not drop back in.

I might not be smart enough to check it right but I'm smart enough to at least know I have to check it. So any way I have .085 on the intake and .093 on the exhaust after advancing the cam 4*. Don't ask me where it's installed at yet as I left my TDC tool at work and didn't want to pull the head off so I just eyeballed it. I'll find out later though. Cam card says install at 102.

I think there's two seperate issues that are being addressed with the tubing mod.
I'm not going to swear this is the reason for Guitar's mod as he can surely address that if needed. But from what I can see is done and what I've read/done, the idea would be to reduce the pressure loss from the tappets and limit the responsibility of the oil that is in the RH lifter galley to just the main bearings/lower end. Reason I say that is there is more pressure bled out of sloppy lifter bores than any bearing clearance. So you eliminate the tappet oiling and leakage by tubing. The blocking of the # one main feed from the RH galley is a mystery tho. Seems like it would be fine being fed by the RH tubed galley and you'd want to block the feed from the #1 mian to the left hand galley. Maybe I just read that wrong or forgot in the time that has lapsed and that was what was said...
In any event... The reason for the cross over tube in terms of my engine was to cause some turbulence. To introduce oil volume to that specific area of the RH galley (the #4 main feed passage from the RH galley) from an angle of no more than 45° in the directly opposite direction to the primary direction of flow. I'm not a fluid engineer in even the most basic sense, but I believe the theory is when a fluid is flowing in a straight line and it's momentum is in that direction, some turbulence will slow down the primary directional flow, allowing the fluid to make an abrupt turn easier. I'd also think the added volume of a line right there, and the very, very tiny difference in pressure of the oil in the tube (lower) than the galley, would also cause a fluid to slow down allowing a better turn at that precise point. The tube was designed to make the oil already present in the galley do the job better. Least that was my take and it worked on the one that got it.

Well, I am not questioning anybody's ability, practical experiences or knowledge.

I was having a hard time understanding the reason for the cross tube. I didn't quite agree/understand the blocking of the passage that feeds #1 main bearing from the Right lifter galley. Why would you want to block off that passage and feed the #1 main from the Left lifter galley? (don't answer that) I can agree with all the other mods that GJ is doing and I will be doing them very soon as well, hopefully this weekend, if I can find the long bits, I thought I had them when I did my BB, but they are no where to be found.

Anyways, I spoke to a gentleman named Sanborn from Moparchat. He use to do circle track racing for about 30 years running the small blocks 8,000 RPM and higher with no failures to the bottom end in regards to oiling. He knows his SB stuff, he is an engineer with lots of racing experience. He specifically stated NOT to block off the passage TO #1 main, but rather block the passage FROM #1 main to the Left lifter galley. The cross tube is to supply oil to the Left side for the hydraulic lifters only or for light lubrication for the solid lifters if you wanted to. It has nothing to do with feeding the #4 main. If you are running a solid lifter cam you can eliminate the cross tube, splash lube will lube those lifters. That is what I did with my BB and after 5 years no problems (Knock on Wood).

With the other mods that GJ mentioned and blocking off the feed TO the Left side allows for more oil to the mains and rods. This I believe, as it makes more sense to me. By blocking off the Left feed from #1 main, the main does not have to feed anything else besides its self and the one rod bearing allowing for more oil and no lubrication failure. Also when using the cross tube the fitting must not protrude into the oil galley. Test fit and cut some threads off if necessary. Install the fittings where there is the most material, they don't have to be in any particular spot on the oil gallies. I will be RED Loctite-ing them in place.

One other very important point was the oil holes in the bearings. They need to be slotted/elongated to line up with the oil holes in the block. This gives more dwell time for the oil to pass through and getting more. Actually Direct Connection used to sell bearings that had the slotted oil holes for this very reason, until they stopped with the Kit car program.

Circle cars are at high RPM all the time, unlike drag cars that might be there for a second or two. If these mods work for them, they will definitely work for us.

GJ is doing a great job with this post and I hope everybody appreciates his efforts for sharing and showing pics, I know I do. I appologize if I was being a pain in the ***.

So THANK YOU Guitar Jones, I appreciate your efforts. If it wasn't for this post our SB would have gone back together in stock oiling form.

Now get back to posting on here GJ, the rest of us are waiting.

Thanks
onig

Glad you found the PTV clearance issue, all silly mistakes that we all make.
At least you are smart enough to find the problem, and then some.

Keep it coming.

all this is interesting stuff, haven't read all of it yet, but i would like to know how many guitars you have, and how long you've been playing....lol....kewl name...kewl car....good to see a musician that has the talent to do something else besides play and do drugs.........like the way were always portrayed in the movies (if you are a musician).........i'll be reading the rest of this, as soon as i can find some more "time".
higgs

all this is interesting stuff, haven't read all of it yet, but i would like to know how many guitars you have, and how long you've been playing....lol....kewl name...kewl car....good to see a musician that has the talent to do something else besides play and do drugs.........like the way were always portrayed in the movies (if you are a musician).........i'll be reading the rest of this, as soon as i can find some more "time".
higgs

LOL, I don't play out anymore but I still play just for my own entertainment. Currently I own 4 guitars and 2 basses. I've been playing for 43 years.

kewl, been playin' for 46, i retired about 6...maybe 7 years ago, always been into hotrods though, it's just refreshing to see someone else w/there s--t together that's been thru that life style..........hope to meet up w/you someday, meanwhile i have alot of reading to do.........
higgs

Onig - you and I thought the same thing on the block off...
my quote: "The blocking of the # one main feed from the RH galley is a mystery tho. Seems like it would be fine being fed by the RH tubed galley and you'd want to block the feed from the #1 main to the left hand galley. Maybe I just read that wrong or forgot in the time that has lapsed and that was what was said..."

and yours:"He specifically stated NOT to block off the passage TO #1 main, but rather block the passage FROM #1 main to the Left lifter galley. The cross tube is to supply oil to the Left side for the hydraulic lifters only or for light lubrication for the solid lifters if you wanted to. It has nothing to do with feeding the #4 main."

On the #4 bit, as I said. I read it when I was researching it for my buddy who had #4 overheating issues. His block was not tubed and the flow path for #1 was not changed in any way. Then only change was the tube. It fixed his issue, but I'm no engineer and I can't say exactly wh yit helpd...lol. Regardless, no harm done. We're all learning here. My apologies if you read any of my posting here as irritated or aggressive as that's not anything I intended.

-
Back