Any problems putting 3’ exhaust on 70 Dart ?

-
Oh I hope I didn't come across like I need to be impressed... What I'm trying to do is not let him spend all his money on what he thinks might be great and turns out not so much...
Like my customer with the 3-inch exhaust he said it's going to be great! And now it sounds like an old Ford truck with no muffler LOL..

My cousin had a 1965 GTO back in 1972, 389, 3 Duces, 4 spd. Full 2" Dual Exhaust.

Then at the back of the car the previous owner cut a 3" drive shaft in half, welded that on as tail exits to the original exhaust system. Looked cool sticking out the back, amplified the sound a bit too but not overwhelming and no Drone effects either.

You could try that . . . . . . . . . .

Well I'm not wishing you bad luck or the chance to say I told you so but mufflers aren't the entire equation in how a car sounds...
Agreed, this is a well thought out combo . Dougs headers, straight thru ultra flows, 3 pipe, listening to sound clips, discussing with other members, personal experience, should cover it. I even heard that header wrap will give it a crispy sound.

I consider my Dart to be a work of art in progress. Not just a bunch of bolt on parts.
I’ll post pics when I’m done and it think you will also consider it a work of art. I do value opinions otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to accomplish what I have. I have taken many ideas and made up some of my own. It’s like when I was growing up my mom was the boss but when my dad was the ultimate authority if he said we are doing this way it was end of discussion!!

To answer your question yes you can run three inch all the way back on the 70 Dodge Dart it will be tight and questionable if it would be worth the effort. But that being said if 3 in what you want then by all means go for it. there is a difference in sound between two and a half and three inch exhaust no doubt. I ran twin 3-in exhaust on my 340 straight back with turn Downs right behind the differential no x pipe no h pipe just pure separation from the banks I can't count how many people have commented on how badass my car sounds and you know... I agree.

One thing that may help is what is the intended use of your car? By that I mean where will it spend the majority of its time? If this is an occasional track car, dedicated track car, etc? Set your build up for where it will spend the majority of its time. If your going to cruise this 80-90% of the time then use 2.5" duals. If this is going to be a 50-100% track car then use the 3" as it will give you room to grow. Also, you can use 3" to the muffler and 2.5" after, several guys have done that. With that, any car ran at the track needs to follow the track rules, so you should look those up for what supporting mods you will need to run at the speed you are attempting to run.

I ran TTi headers and their full 3 inch X pipe system with Dynomax super turbo mufflers on my 70 Dart 360, no problems with the installation and I was very happy with the sound. It was reasonably mellow under "normal" driving conditions and whenever I stomped on it, it was considerably more aggressive, suited me fine.
Was it overkill? Maybe, but I had planned on going bigger when I did it.

One thing that may help is what is the intended use of your car? By that I mean where will it spend the majority of its time? If this is an occasional track car, dedicated track car, etc? Set your build up for where it will spend the majority of its time. If your going to cruise this 80-90% of the time then use 2.5" duals. If this is going to be a 50-100% track car then use the 3" as it will give you room to grow. Also, you can use 3" to the muffler and 2.5" after, several guys have done that. With that, any car ran at the track needs to follow the track rules, so you should look those up for what supporting mods you will need to run at the speed you are attempting to run.
I’m already prepared to tell tech guy that my car will probably run in the needs a roll bar category. Or I can do some time tuning it before the track blow down the quarter and be sent home. All I really want is to know what the et is mainly for bragging rights. The car will be 90percent cruising, very occasion track , and , occasion stoplight to stop light. I spent an inordinate amount of time researching how to build my package for an even balance of looks, sounds, and performance. The 3’ exhaust is for bragging rights, I know thereis a small differential in hp between the two but that’s ok.

@toolmanmike, no one slammed you against a wall. For what it’s worth I’ve done a lot testing on turbo stuff with back pressure because it relates directly to the AR of the turbine side. I logged exhaust pressure pre turbo on my daily driver and every time backpressure goes down and all other factors remained the same, power went up. And any restriction at all, after the turbo causes it’s own problems. Backpressure anywhere In the system is bad. This is not race car stuff. It’s street car stuff also.

I’ll probably go with the 3’s for bragging rights. Mufflers are ultraflow’s no offset straight thru which I was told that there could be kind of quiet at cruise but will definitely sound off at WOT.
Anybody here agree/disagree with that ??

No need to get straight throughs with Ultra Flows. You can see straight through their offset mufflers. The inlet and outlet position has zero effect on their baffling system, unlike conventional mufflers. Their offset mufflers are just as "straight through" as their "straight throughs".

@toolmanmike, no one slammed you against a wall. For what it’s worth I’ve done a lot testing on turbo stuff with back pressure because it relates directly to the AR of the turbine side. I logged exhaust pressure pre turbo on my daily driver and every time backpressure goes down and all other factors remained the same, power went up. And any restriction at all, after the turbo causes it’s own problems. Backpressure anywhere In the system is bad. This is not race car stuff. It’s street car stuff also.
Sure, I shouldn't have used the word backpressure if it's getting the experts here all jacked up. Plain and simple, the OP probably wouldn't notice a increase of performance in a 3" system v/s a 2 1/2" system other than the cool factor and a little difference in sound. I don't think a 3" system is necessary unless maybe you stick a 505 stroker in and you probably shouldn't be running it on the street anyway. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to that.

I didn't go out the back with mine. I cannot STAND duals straight out the back. I did mine at like a 45 degree angle dumped kinda in the front of the portion of the quarter behind the rear tire.

Similar to this.

View attachment 1715731304

That’s what I did on my Dart.

25D6798A-2409-45BA-900A-BCB3A0FFF013.jpeg

No need to get straight throughs with Ultra Flows. You can see straight through their offset mufflers. The inlet and outlet position has zero effect on their baffling system, unlike conventional mufflers. Their offset mufflers are just as "straight through" as their "straight throughs".
Already got them on the way the posts convinced me

I didn't go out the back with mine. I cannot STAND duals straight out the back. I did mine at like a 45 degree angle dumped kinda in the front of the portion of the quarter behind the rear tire.

Similar to this.

View attachment 1715731304
Boy that pisses people off at the car shows. That's a Chevy thing. Mopar always had their exhaust straight out the back except maybe the TA/AAR.

Boy that pisses people off at the car shows. That's a Chevy thing. Mopar always had their exhaust straight out the back except maybe the TA/AAR.

I know. I like mine that way because I've always thought the tail pipes on the 68-72 Novas was bad as hell. It's one of those instances where I don't value the opinions of others. LMAO.

Already got them on the way the posts convinced me

I have four. Two not installed if you'd like some pictures. I'd send the straight throughs back, because the inlet and outlet being in the right place will make for a much easier install. IT makes no difference. I don't care who posted what. Every single Dynomax Ultra Flow made is "straight through". You been snookered.

I know. I like mine that way because I've always thought the tail pipes on the 68-72 Novas was bad as hell. It's one of those instances where I don't value the opinions of others. LMAO.
Pretty much everything Rusty said.

Plus you can tell by my car it doesn’t make it to shows! Lol

3" certainly will not hurt a thing, I have never lost power going bigger. It will kill a bit of bottom end/take off on the street but if you got good gears it will not be as noticeable as tall gears. The best part is you will have room to grow as the urge to use more nitrous takes hold of you lol. As far as sound there is truth to what jpar is saying but as you stated allot of it is in the mufflers. Its all about air flow, bigger cubes or smaller cubes with compression will make more sound simply put. if you want a crackling exhaust have good overlap and cylinder pressure and it will sound as good as possible regardless of the pipes. if you really want a simple cheap solution for less noise but the open headers sound get some car chemistry inserts and just run a set of 3" collector extensions.

I can say this about 3" pipe. I don't know WHY it is, but going from 2.5 to 3" has an incredible effect on sound. The 3" gets LOUD and can and probably will DRONE. So be warned.

3" system with Hooker Max Flo on my 451. It will drown out the sound of a stroked 360. lol

Already got them
3" certainly will not hurt a thing, I have never lost power going bigger. It will kill a bit of bottom end/take off on the street but if you got good gears it will not be as noticeable as tall gears. The best part is you will have room to grow as the urge to use more nitrous takes hold of you lol. As far as sound there is truth to what jpar is saying but as you stated allot of it is in the mufflers. Its all about air flow, bigger cubes or smaller cubes with compression will make more sound simply put. if you want a crackling exhaust have good overlap and cylinder pressure and it will sound as good as possible regardless of the pipes. if you really want a simple cheap solution for less noise but the open headers sound get some car chemistry inserts and just run a set of 3" collector extensions.
Car chemistry, I thought about it, I’m going to be running my car with all the safety stuff to prevent detonation , MSD timing controller etc and other things that that will negate what nitrous will do to the motor. Using a rich not too rich maybe 1o air fuel as an additional back up . I been around too many cars that the fumes will burn your eyes especially one with a Holley. so I figured that I would send the fumes out back and to it to the point where you’re eyes are ok.

-
Back