anyboby smallblocked a 70's colt?

-
Hi school buddy shoe horned a 350 into a Datsun B210. Even with posi it wouldn't hook. Damn near killed us several times!
****; even with a mild datsun engine in my '76 it won't hook.......

I've actually got a Colt wagon sitting here rotting if anyone else wants a project....

I agree with Locomotion on the weight issue. Did you happen to notice the difference between the location of the engine in the Craigslist car and the photos that 34066Sedan posted. The Craiglist car shows the majority of the engine forward of the front wheel centerline. All of the racers have engines that are moved back to where the harmonic balancer appears to be on the front wheel centerline.

Hope all goes well. The car ought to be a hoot, especially if you disguise the fact it has a hot V-8 in it. The Sox & Martin car is too obvious.

thanks for all yalls input.ive put 12 long days into the project so far...and this is what ive got so far...

235.JPG

237-1.JPG

239.JPG

232.JPG

details....8 3/4 rearend narrowed to 41 in. to fit 15x8 (3 1/2 bs) welds with 26x8.5 mickeys.tailshaft mount moved rearward a couple in. trans tunnel/firewall hacked out,fabricated mtr mounts...nowhere near originals,ground top side of steering box,removed brake booster,remote oil filter,schirocco radiator mounted on outside of core support,moves grille out 2 in.,but you cant really tell it,cordoba exhaust manifolds switched from side to side(d/s cntr dump,p/s front dump,mini starter,front sump 318 71 truck oil pan with an ebay rear main adapter,endless firewall bashing,dipstick hits hood,radiator mounts hit hood,rearched rear springs with one leaf added,fabbed alt. mount, homemade elec. water pump drive,single groove pulleys,elec fans,and im sure there's more im forgetting.motor has been in and out about 30 times,rearend about 5,fabed removable core support center allows engine to come out with water pump and pulleys still on.gotta raise the front about an inch somehow,gonna convert to standard mopar master cyl.,make up a kickdown,make a shifter linkage for stock shifter,wire it all up,run exhaust,then i can take it out for a few burnouts.then its all coming back apart for its ppg deltron Q5 turquoise paint,and then the interior!wsssheww!!!!!:toothy10:

238.JPG

Wow, when you wanna do something, it gets done, don't it? I've owned my Barracuda for 5 years now, and I keep telling myself THIS is the year it gets done!

is it running yet?? or do you need more jack stands??

congrats on your efforts,,

i havent seen that hemi rampage in years,,

guy i went to school with his brother had a 340 colt,,,this was in 1974/75 first time i ever heard of a narrowed rear ,he also shortened the front of the water pump housing and impeller shaft to make room for the radiator,,

Buddy of mine years ago began to build one in San Jose with a 273. Never finished it. To mount the engine, he machined the timing cover and fab'd up a saddle mount mounted in the front of the engine which rested on the frame rails. Very clean looking the way he did it.

got it started this weekend,still got some loose ends to tie up before i can make that first test run!

029.jpg

030.jpg

The Labaron's? They included the crossmember for correct front end geomerty and all. That would make the job easier. Not to mention, a lot of us would like to have one.
I knew a guy when I lived in Texas that had a 440 in an 024 Charger. THAT was one mean ride!

Keep us posted on the colt...sounds like a LOT of fun...even if it's not an A Body ;)

j

keep us posted! i'd love to see how this project turns out...remember the more pics the better!

have you taken a test run with her yet?

-
Back