Anybody have a '67 Barracuda with the correct steering wheel?

-
Imo, original wheels are too thin and large.
Superior 'The 500' was on mine when I got it, 14", I found the old school wrap and threw that on.

View attachment 1715842366

My original steering wheel was cracked. Couldn't find a nice one, so I just switched to a Moon wheel. Fifteen inches in diameter. Metalflake blue. I like the looks, and any increase in steering effort is minimal.

20210530_092714 (2).jpg

Not really sure if this is a correct wheel, and pardon the mess as this is my first time using PC-7 to fill the cracks.
20211226_091430.jpg
20211226_091409.jpg
20211226_091357.jpg

I have the same wheel as 65 Cuda 340 in post #2 but with a different horn button.

@70dart340 Ask "Clemintine" what he's running. He has a beautiful '67 'Cuda fastback with a big block 4 speed. He knows his stuff. Clemintine, radio check?
Copy that! Thanks Man, Dunno what I know, but Im trying.

Last edited:
Not really sure if this is a correct wheel, and pardon the mess as this is my first time using PC-7 to fill the cracks.
View attachment 1715842510 View attachment 1715842511 View attachment 1715842512

I have the same wheel as 65 Cuda 340 in post #2 but with a different horn button.

Looks like the correct wheel to me except for the Dodge horn button. My 67 Charger had the same wheel, too, except it may have had a full horn ring. Been so long since I've laid eyes on it, I can't remember. I'd like to go back to the stock wheel on the Charger. Maybe will try to repair the cracks. ???

Looks like the correct wheel to me except for the Dodge horn button. My 67 Charger had the same wheel, too, except it may have had a full horn ring. Been so long since I've laid eyes on it, I can't remember. I'd like to go back to the stock wheel on the Charger. Maybe will try to repair the cracks. ???
I was sloppy with my application of PC7 and should have had some denatured alcohol around to wet a putty knife for final 'push in' of product. the wetted knife would have also been useful (as it doesnt stick to it with the alcohol) to clean up the mound. It has hardened and am now using a file to rough it into shape. Then Ill drop to 120# and 220# whatever I have laying around. Then its primer filler/sand/primer/sand/primer/wet sand/color/inspect/clearx3......should be a driver by then. Im kind of a hack, but seemingly a pretty good one? Time will tell.

Edit: prep work included getting into cracks to kind of 'V' them and rough/clean up the surfaces. as if you were gonna weld it. I used a dremel mostly. and a triangular file. The plastic kind of melts so a little grind here and there, then it cools and you can chip the slag off

Thanks for the advice.
I have a '64 Corvair steering wheel waiting on me to repair. I already hired somebody to repair the one for my '57 Chrysler.

The more I think about it, the better the one on ebay looks. Other than the horn button. I'd like to find one that looks more factory.

If I can get $500 for the rimblow and adapter as is, I'd definitely take it.

Last edited:
Not a great pic, but you can see the vintage real wood wheel in mine. Not sure if I'll really like it or not, but in good condition these originals are hard to find.
20201108_145028.jpg

I had a rim blow in a cobra jet Ranchero. Absolutely hated it! Blowing half the time just turning the wheel, couldn't find it when I wanted it in an emergency. Give me a horn button in the middle please, or a horn ring if I have to.
My thoughts, exactly. When I was shopping for a new Cuda in 1970, I drove a loaded Barracuda Gran Coupe(?) at a dealership in No Seattle. It had that rim blow wheel in it. It looked cool, but damn I had the same problems as you described, hahaha.

Not a great pic, but you can see the vintage real wood wheel in mine. Not sure if I'll really like it or not, but in good condition these originals are hard to find.
View attachment 1715842598

I'm thinking about adding the woodgrain panels for the garage cluster and glove box just to complement the wood wheel.

If my car already had the correct wheel, I would just restore it. With all the other work I have ahead of me, buying a usable wheel is one less Headache.

Metalflake
Metalflake rules!
I have one in my Dart, and just got a green one I'm going to try on my 67. They have a bit of a 'sticky' feeling, as opposed to the black wheel, which is one of the reasons I put the wrap on it.

Imo, make sure that wood wheel has the grips on the backside, it helps.

Also, my 67 is a bb 4 speed, manual steering, goes where I point it, 4 speed solves any parking/steering while stopped issues, if you get my drift.

20210926_175613.jpg

Almost grips are probably closer to almost flat.
My 71 had a rimblow, and that had deeper grips.

I have no idea if that wood wheel will slip in your hands or not, or be the best wheel ever.

I keep thinking go old school, I can't help it, I have a problem.
Is it manual steering? If you spend the coin on that wood wheel and there's no grip, what's the recourse, put a wrap on it and no more wood showing.

Also have no idea where you're at with this car. When I first got my 67, I was determined to get a factory wheel, which I did. Put it on, hated it. I had dry rotted tires and was worried about a steering wheel.
Reminds me of Christine, puts new wipers on a busted windshield.
Shows you how smart I am.

Almost grips are probably closer to almost flat.
My 71 had a rimblow, and that had deeper grips.

I don't even have the car in person yet.
The deal has been made and money has changed hands.
The Barracuda will be delivered in March. I have another car project ahead of it.
I'll have to swap power steering to manual for the 440 and ITT full length headers.

I'll definitely have my hands full steering with one hand and shifting with the other.
I read about the electric steering assist mounting under the dash, but I would like to buy a kit instead of studying rocket science to do it myself.
I like the looks of this wheel other than the horn button and the grips on the back.

I'm trying to find what I need and where to get it now so I can spend the time working when I get it.

I don't have any issues steering and shifting.
PST 16.1 manual steering, new 68 column from Norm's, QA1, Proforged, factory KH manual brakes.

20211111_134735.jpg

Metalflake rules!
I have one in my Dart, and just got a green one I'm going to try on my 67. They have a bit of a 'sticky' feeling, as opposed to the black wheel, which is one of the reasons I put the wrap on it.

View attachment 1715842646

That's a 62 Dodge, right? That's the exact same wheel I put on Dad's 62 Polara 500 convertible back in the late sixties. You can just see the top of it showing in this photo:

62 dodge summer 68 revised.jpg

My brother put the stock 62 wheel back in it when he "restored" it in 1990. So I put a metalflake red wheel in my 64 Polara convertible (same wheel except the new one is slotted instead instead of having holes).

DSCF0010.JPG

I also put on the Hirohita-Merc-style radio knobs on my 64, just like I had done with Dad's 62. Yeah - I'm old school. . . .

Last edited:
That's a 62 Dodge, right?
That's right, 62 Dart 440.
I swapped in a bb and a 4 speed.
The one thing I would like to find is the Polara reverse lights/rear panel, dunno why, just do.

Is that a Superior wheel?
I've seen Superiors in that style, but not metallic.

I dig the chrome reverse, got a set I might put on the rear of my 67.
The Dart is getting old school GTs.

That's right, 62 Dart 440.
I swapped in a bb and a 4 speed.
The one thing I would like to find is the Polara reverse lights/rear panel, dunno why, just do.

Is that a Superior wheel?
I've seen Superiors in that style, but not metallic.

I dig the chrome reverse, got a set I might put on the rear of my 67.
The Dart is getting old school GTs.

Moon steering wheels in my 64 Polara and in my 67 Barracuda. Metal flake red for the one, metal flake blue for the other. Also have a white - non metal flake - Moon steering wheel in my 56 Studebaker Golden Hawk (had to fabricate my own adapter for that one).

Running my original OEM imitation wood grained sport steering wheel in my 65 Barracuda; have identical 65-66 style factory wood grained wheels in my 63 Valiant and, with a different horn button, my 67 Charger.

Have original factory steering wheels in my 49 and 59 Dodges, and in my 56 Plymouth. So I haven't put aftermarket steering wheels in everything.

The metal flake red steering wheel I put in my Dad's 62 way back when was either a Grant or a Superior, can't remember fifty years later. The chrome wheels on the 62 Polara were J.C. Whitney 14 x 6 chrome reverse. (It had redline tires on it later.) I would love to have 15 x 7 chrome stock-type wheels on something, but I don't think anyone makes a true Mopar chrome wheel anymore, and I don't want to run a Ford wheel. I also don't like the modern, multi-bolt pattern, new chrome wheels that don't have nubs for the hub caps. So I have Cragar S/S's on all my A bodies plus the 64 Polara. At least they are chromed. I like chrome. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, I do have an original stock 67 barracuda steering wheel, and I'm pretty sure it looks exactly like the one in post #2.... except mine is blue.
I'm 250 miles away from it at the moment, and I don't have any pics in this phone, sorry.

-
Back