Anybody Have a Soft Spot for TURBO Cars?

-
Nice, what did You do with the Pumpers?? Yeah, the plastic vacuum/pressure reference lines & distribution setups were an abortion in general, the problem was the Tees
had the calibrated restriction orifices in them, color coded, so You needed to re-use/replace them unless You duplicated them w/metal jets.......................

Oh Yeah, We were putting plastic vacuum tees in with the paint can spray nozzles jammed in them at the MAP sensor on those old logic modules, per the TSB for moisture
(condensation) settling in the long line from the engine inside to the MAP,......then freezing when it got cold.........................................
I remember they came out with a "relocation kit" to move the MAP sensor out of the logic module to the firewall. Then put a drip loop in the vacuum hose. Awww the good old days :)

CC-71-046-800.jpg

Wife had a mid 80's Turbo New Yorker like this one. Bought it used from a friend for $300 in the mid 90's. Went good enough for her and decent ride and mileage. One day in Amherst NH, at a light a late I think a late 80's Firebird stopped besides us and the driver laughed and pointing at the turbo and gave a thumbs up. Of course we looked like a pair of old fuddy duddy's. As the cross light turned yellow, I started to add throttle and brake to spool the turbo, our light turned green and I got the jump on him. After about an 1/8 mile he finally passed, but the look on his face was priceless!

That's my red '86 CS Turbo in the back, underneath the word "selling" prior to me owning it.
Shortly after the shoot, it was wrecked and the front end damaged.
I found it in back of the dealership and gave $600 for it.
Also bought an 84 Lazer turbo parts car (with talking dash) to get the front end metal.
It was a SUPER fun car, but had dependability issues starting with the aforementioned vacuum leaks, plus electronic gremlins and several broken shift forks.
The torque steer was unreal, and could put you in the next lane.

Also on that mag cover, are a friend's 73 340 Challenger, another friends 440 transplanted 66 Coronet, and radio host Mason Dixon's Challenger convertible.

92 mopar muscle daytona.jpg

How many axles have you broke? That's some serious horsepower at the front wheels!
never broke a half shaft. never really put serious horsepower either. about 14 pounds of boost. Cut 2.0's with the caravelle mentioned in my 1st post. I might add, the tranny was shifting really slow, so we had to let off the gas from 2nd to 3rd and still ran 14.6's. Not bad for buying and building the car for a 400 total :D

Speaking of technology coming a long way...

3 weeks ago, I bought a 2015 jeep Renegade 1.4 turbo six speed.

There is NO turbo lag and very little spooling noise (I actually miss that).

I checked the manual and it says there is an auxiliary oil pump that runs after shut off that keeps the turbo cool...+1 engineers.

By my calculations, at 165 HP and 3100 pounds it's the power to weight equivalent of a 360 2 barrel Duster (if they made one), has better back seat and cargo room, and I'm getting 33+ MPG average (EPA 25/31).

...it does take Ferrari spec oil, that's kind of hard to find and $9 a qt.

I skipped to the bottom, so someone may have already pointed out. I believe that this car is a blow through setup. You don't want that. You want the Turbo II w/ IC setup (pull through). I have had many Turbo Dodges. Stay away from this car is my recommendations. They are mostly junk with many headaches. It will be a sloth still and do nothing inparticularly impressive.

I went out and looked at it, and although someone could have bought it cheap ($400) it was still a project car and I don't have time or room for another one. The fusible link was toast and someone had the kick panel down and had been looking at the wiring. It was a very solid car with no rust anywhere. He said that he had two more guys coming to look at it, so it'll probably be sold soon.

That's my red '86 CS Turbo in the back, underneath the word "selling" prior to me owning it.
Shortly after the shoot, it was wrecked and the front end damaged.
I found it in back of the dealership and gave $600 for it.
Also bought an 84 Lazer turbo parts car (with talking dash) to get the front end metal.
It was a SUPER fun car, but had dependability issues starting with the aforementioned vacuum leaks, plus electronic gremlins and several broken shift forks.
The torque steer was unreal, and could put you in the next lane.

Also on that mag cover, are a friend's 73 340 Challenger, another friends 440 transplanted 66 Coronet, and radio host Mason Dixon's Challenger convertible.

View attachment 1715140881
Cool deal, not sure the torque steer was that bad, but Ya' gotta be on Your toes some. The early A-525's were a weak link on those for sure, things definitely got better
later on in the gearbox dept. Never had any electronic gremlins in any of Mine, including the talking '84 Laser XE,.......I actually liked that.....there were two basic systems
an 11 & a 24 function monitor alert system. My XE's had the 24's, startled the crap out of a few passengers that weren't given a heads up, lol!!!

Cool deal, not sure the torque steer was that bad, but Ya' gotta be on Your toes some. The early A-525's were a weak link on those for sure, things definitely got better
later on in the gearbox dept. Never had any electronic gremlins in any of Mine, including the talking '84 Laser XE,.......I actually liked that.....there were two basic systems
an 11 & a 24 function monitor alert system. My XE's had the 24's, startled the crap out of a few passengers that weren't given a heads up, lol!!!
"Your door is a Jar" LOL no it's not it's a door!

I went out and looked at it, and although someone could have bought it cheap ($400) it was still a project car and I don't have time or room for another one. The fusible link was toast and someone had the kick panel down and had been looking at the wiring. It was a very solid car with no rust anywhere. He said that he had two more guys coming to look at it, so it'll probably be sold soon.
That usually happens from poor battery service/maintenance, the power feed fusible link gang-splice gets permeated with hydrogen gas from a batt. that has to recover
from being discharged too often, or is bad and requires the charging system to work too hard trying to bring a bad cell to life. I built a small plug-on fusible link block for
My Pop's old '86 Horizon after I got it, and that was that.

I had two back in the day, a 1985 GLH-T and a 1987 GLHS. The 85 was pretty much stock with a boost regulator that allowed timed overboost. It was a very fun car u til it was rear ended and totaled.

The GLHS was my toy. Stage III heads, turbo, IN, BOV, 3" exhaust, SMEC conversion and an 18 psi chip plus suspension, etc. Traction was a rumor through the first two gears. I wrecked two 525 5 speeds and finally dropped a valve killing the motor.
Put in a barely used 2.5 T1 which I converted over to TII specs with my old gear, swapped in a better 523 cable operated transmission. The body had almost 250k miles. A friend holed a piston and with the frame rot it was sent to the scrap yard. Boy they were fun cars!

never broke a half shaft. never really put serious horsepower either. about 14 pounds of boost. Cut 2.0's with the caravelle mentioned in my 1st post. I might add, the tranny was shifting really slow, so we had to let off the gas from 2nd to 3rd and still ran 14.6's. Not bad for buying and building the car for a 400 total :D

I stripped out the intermediate shaft splines in my 87, never broke a half shaft but I did wreck a few 5 speeds. Had to fix the intermediate shaft in the apartment parking lot and luckily got an extension for turning in my thesis paper which I was in my way to turn in lol.

Actually looking for a Daytona ‘88-‘89 concealed headlight model for my son. Needs to be mechanically sound and VG body/paint.

Hell, I've had lots of turbo Mopars! Let's see if I can remember them all!!!
1990 Daytona
1989 Daytona ES
2x 1988 Shelby Z
1990 Shelby VNT
1987 CSX
1988 CSX-T
2x 1984 GLH
3X 1985 GLH
1987 Omni (GLH clone)
1990 Spirit ES turbo 5spd
1986 Turbo Z CS
1991 Shadow ES turbo 5spd vert
2x 1985 Shelby Charger

Might be more I'm forgetting.

I've still got the Santa Fe blue GLHT, but I'm looking at selling it to somebody more interested than me. I'm really wanting to do another GLH, I just want one of the carbd ones with the 2.2 HighOutput.

12-10-06105.jpg

VNT2.jpg

007-1.jpg

12-10-06077~2.jpg

Rachsatard357.jpg

MVIMG_20180129_073944.jpg

I love these cars, especially the Daytona models. I've owned several over the years and currently have a 91 Daytona that is almost finished up. Been a lot of work but is going to be a blast to drive.

20180207_171433.jpg

Ive had more Omnis and Shelby chargers than I can remember. I had one point where I would just buy one if it came up for sale because they were usually 500-1000 back when or cheaper.

I dailied a Shelby charger in the late 90s-early 00s for probably 4-5 years. Had a T2 swap and a a555, black with stripe delete and ugly as sin. Every time I turned around someone would run into it seemed like, just dents on every panel. I strapped some slicks on it at one point and cut some decent (fwd) 1.6 60 foots at the strip, I think dipping into the 13s (mostly stock motor, just T2 swap)

I got like 40k miles out of a $500 rusty Silver T1 85 GLH at one point and had lots of good memories racing it. That thing would make people so angry when I won because it looked pretty bad with the silver / rust contrast haha. The kid I sold it to blew it up literally in like 5 miles of owning it.

By far my favorite was the 86 GLHS I had. So many good memories surprising people with that thing. So cheap to make fast and fun. Here it is, sometime in early 00s:

Pass_rear-2.JPG

Pass_rear_int.jpg
passengerside_int.jpg

Front-1.jpg

drivers_side_int.jpg

After that I got hooked on these:

evoajsfkldjasldfkj1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, i didnt realize there was still this much interest in these things. I have a rust free texas 88 shelby z t top turbo ll car i was halfway done restoring and lost interest in, and an 87 lebaron turbo coupe with digital dash and 24 function alert setup. Lebaron needs a new head gasket, but top end was gone thru 30K ago. I have 2 spare A555 transaxles. I also have one rebuilt ready to install, and a rebuilt turbo ll with all forged internals. Sitting pickled, never been run. I figured once the new mustangs, camaros, and challengers came out, people didnt care about pint size performance cars anymore.

Last edited:
I've still got a few engines and trans' too! This is a 225 I'm building for my brother's '65 Coronet, but in the background is my '87 T2 engine and my '85 2.2HO out of my first GLH. The T2 is for my current GLHT and I just started on the 2.2HO last night for my brother in law's Omni.

And just out of sight is my virgin '69 340!

MVIMG_20171230_164322.jpg

wow more details on this please! Would love to do this in an L body omni.
Nothing too crazy. 392 stroker backed up by a TR6060 6 speed, and an independent rear suspension. Just fired it up a few days ago for the first time.

Nothing too crazy. 392 stroker backed up by a TR6060 6 speed, and an independent rear suspension. Just fired it up a few days ago for the first time.

Awesome. Do you have a thread anywhere with details ? Would love to see the process.

I love these cars, especially the Daytona models. I've owned several over the years and currently have a 91 Daytona that is almost finished up. Been a lot of work but is going to be a blast to drive.

View attachment 1715141601
I wondered who was building this with the amount of details that's put into it!

I've always loved these cars, kinda Tony's fault. Just got rid of two Shelby Chargers and picked up a '90 Lebaron VNT Coupe. T2 converted, on 18psi with an A568. Have a new cal and going 3 bar map and maybe up boost a couple more psi.

902.jpg

-
Back