Anybody running 17" Cobra Bullit rims on a Duster

-
Wait a second.. Do the spindles have the holes for both front and rear mount on them? or do you have to do something else to them?

You can swap the spindles side to side to move the calipers to the rear. But you must make sure the brake hoses are not going to be ripped off.

Thanks jamesdart. I have them on the back and you're right about the hoses. They look like they will rub the tire. I might switch them to the front.

You just need to run the right part number replacement brake hoses. They have a banjo fitting on the end and no hard line extension coming off the brass banjo. OR you can run banjo fitting braided line.

I have a rubber line on my 68 Dart and a stainless braided line on my 68 Barracuda. Both work.

Read here: http://www.68cuda.com/disk.html

HOSE ROUTING VERSION 2 (NOT MOPAR ACTION)

You will need a "banjo" or "loop" type hose to pull this one off approximately 16" or longer. These can be bought, OEM style from your local parts place, from Mopar Performance for a stiff fee, or can be purchased from "RUSSELL" brake products. Russell makes all of those pretty brake hoses and oil/coolant/etc. fittings… sort of like Earls.

The magic OEM hose is the Raybestos P.N.# 36830 and 36831 (or Bendix P.N.# 77130 & 77131). Fits 1979 dodge diplomats and
76 - 79 Aspens. You will also need to order two caliper bolts for both sides of the vehicle (the bolt is hollow so brake fluid travels through it) for this application, I don't have the part number but just ask for the ones for the hoses NOT the calipers which didn't require them. The hose sealing washers on the rebuilt calipers will work with this hose/bolt setup. You will also have to remove some goofy attaching bracket clipped on the hose. Don't damage the hose doing it…I used two vice grips and a screwdriver to get it off.

Installation:

7) See GIF for explanation. You need to use the proper hose for each side. This hose is supposed to be offset toward the inside so its close to the spindle for turning clearance.
8 ) Put brass sealing washer on bolt, pass through loop end, put brass washer on the other side…like a sealing sandwich.
9) Screw caliper bolt into caliper fitting with the hose in a downward sort of "hugging" the spindle close as possible with out hitting it.
10) Take other side of hose and loop it up to the factory mounting boss.
11) Install retaining clip and attach brake line and bleed system.
12) Your done.

a friend of mine is loaning me a 17X8 to try. the way im understanding all this is that the wheels "should" fit, as i have yukon axles, big bolt b-body drums, 11 3/4 rotors, and the rest is stock. i will either need to run a 1/8 inch spacer on all 4 corners to clear the hub registers, or bore the registers in the wheels. am i correct in this understanding?

if so, are you using hubcentric spacers, or just breaking down and going lugcentric on all 4 wheels? also, what are you guys running for studs? i have to pull my axles for a gear swap anyway, and that would be the perfect time to upgrade.

anyway, do i sound correct in all this? i suck at tire and wheel stuff, so i want to get this right.

michael

if they have 5.72 backspace you are going to have problems in the back if you have an a-body width rear.

Where did you guys source the longer wheel studs for the front? I'm looking for 1/2"-20 studs for the '73 front discs. Looks like I can get them from summit or mancini. Is there a better option?
Thanks,
Jon

i think i got mine from mancini. maybe summit i forget but the ones from mopar are pretty nice. when i upgrade dto the 12" rotors i actually just left the studs they came with. im not running a spacer. they had over 1/2" of threads into the lug nuts, i think thats fine.

I started the process of making room in the front for the 275/40/17 tires and 17x9 rims.

I don't have those tires and rims now. But I do have some 15x9 4 1/8" backspace Minilite-type rims. So that will move my tire outside edge about 1" from my current 15x8 4.5" backspace rims. I will the same no longer available 245/50/15 BFG ZR Comp T/A's on the Minilite-like rims too.

I think a 1 inch by 3" triangle is usually what is needed. But my tire setup right now barely fit. So I went a little bold (maybe too much) with a 2" bend/lip.

Both fenders are totally rust free 68 Barracuda fenders. The passenger one is minty mint and very straight bondo and rust free. Or should I say WAS !

FenderClearanceSm08.JPG

FenderClearanceSm18.JPG

FenderClearanceSm21.JPG

FenderClearanceSm07.JPG

FenderClearanceSm25.JPG

FenderClearanceSm27.JPG

Autox Why did you have to cut it like that? Is that where it was interfering? I'm a little confused. Did you have to do the front and back? Or just the front?

Autox Why did you have to cut it like that? Is that where it was interfering? I'm a little confused. Did you have to do the front and back? Or just the front?

Just the front. When the outside edge of the tire moves out, on most Mopars they tend to rub the front bottom fender lip. My 245/50/15 on 15x8 4.5" backspace rims barely fit.

When I tested the Minilite 15x9 with 4 1/8" backspace it flatout hit just turning the wheel parked. The outside edge of the tire in theory should have moved out 1/2 from the 1 inch wider tire and 3/8" from the decrease in backspacing. That's almost a total of 1" compared to the previous rallye rim setup. When I held a L square comparing one side to the other, it confirmed is was about 1" inch out. When you mock it up, when the front tires turns it was a little under 1" closer to front lower fender lip. So I could have just trimmed 1". But I felt I was too close allready. So I went to a 2" fold. Looking back I probably could have got away with 1.25" to 1.5"

Looking from down low right from the side, the 2" fold I made looks pretty aggressive. But on a Cuda the fender rolls in so much that when you stand 10 feet away you don't notice it as much. The closer you get at standing eye level, the less you notice it.

When you run a 17x9 and 5.6 backspacing, you run into the same situation. Read here: http://www.moparfins.com/CLAIRDAVIS/Cobra_Wheel.htm Clair is only running a 17x8. With a 17x9 and 275/40/17 tire the outside edge will be further out. So

Hey... I know that guy... he really needs to update his web pages...

That 255/45 I originally tested with was a bit taller than the 245/45's I ended up running. The 255's were a bit tighter fit, but gave a good idea of where the tight spots were. On my Valiant, it seems the front wheel opening is a little more generous than the 2nd gen Barracudas, in spite of being slab-sided. The spot I ended up with somewhat regular rubbing was on the head of the bolt that locates the fender on the outer wheel opening. Looking at the driver side of the car, this bolt is at about 3 o'clock. Going to a pan-head bolt would have reduced that to probably nothing. When I installed stiffer (1.14") t-bars, the rubbing went away.

In any event, I tried a 275/40-17 mounted on the same 17x8 wheel, since I already had it around. Here's some photos of that test on the pass side of the car, so you can see how tight it got:
Turning right, front edge...
275-40-Front_Out-01.JPG

Turning right, rear edge...
275-40-Rear_In-01.JPG

Here's the bolt that rubbed...
275-40-Rear_In-03.JPG

And just because I love the way these shots look...
275-40-Straight-01.JPG

275-40-Straight-02.JPG

I'm likely to keep my 17x8's and just run a narrow-ish 275/40 in the future. Ideally, I'd like to find some 17x9's with the right offset, but that puts the wheel in to the outer tie rod end. Going to an 18 or 19" wheel might solve that, but wheels that big start getting heavy, and I really kind of like the look of 17's on A-bodies. The right wheel could change my mind, though.

Clair

i tried the wheels. all except for the the rears being spaced too far in to look right, they fit without a problem. now im trying to find a set for the right price.

How about Mustang 18x9 inch rims? Here on a Mopar front suspension with late model FMJ spindles, Charger 14 inch brake rotors and Viper calipers.
5666673-18inch.jpg

All very cool ideas...I'm interested in running 17's on my 68 cuda..Andy, your setup looks neat. However In my opinion, the 17" rim is the biggest one I'd like to use..

I'm likely to keep my 17x8's and just run a narrow-ish 275/40 in the future. Ideally, I'd like to find some 17x9's with the right offset, but that puts the wheel in to the outer tie rod end. Going to an 18 or 19" wheel might solve that, but wheels that big start getting heavy, and I really kind of like the look of 17's on A-bodies. The right wheel could change my mind, though.

Clair

Clair I think went further than I had to. Whatta ya think??

Are you saying there aren't any 17x9 5.6 backspacing rims out there? When you go to the 9" wides to they just all come with more backspacing?

Hey, Steve,
I can't say if you went too far, my Barracuda is still rolling on D70-14's and SBP, so no experience here. Seems like Ekstrand did a similar operation, though, so I'm sure you're on the right track.

AndyF,
I looked at those wheels, but I think I remember they were heavier than I wanted to run, and the backspace wasn't quite right. With my early-B rear, I need more BS to fit the most tire/wheel in back. I could tolerate more BS in front, once I get past the OTRE. My rough calcs indicate something like 6.4-6.5" for the "ideal" wheel for me. Really depends on the geometry of the wheel rim, as a 18x8.5 test wheel I have won't clear the OTRE either.

Clair

Just the front. When the outside edge of the tire moves out, on most Mopars they tend to rub the front bottom fender lip. My 245/50/15 on 15x8 4.5" backspace rims barely fit.

When I tested the Minilite 15x9 with 4 1/8" backspace it flatout hit just turning the wheel parked. The outside edge of the tire in theory should have moved out 1/2 from the 1 inch wider tire and 3/8" from the decrease in backspacing. That's almost a total of 1" compared to the previous rallye rim setup. When I held a L square comparing one side to the other, it confirmed is was about 1" inch out. When you mock it up, when the front tires turns it was a little under 1" closer to front lower fender lip. So I could have just trimmed 1". But I felt I was too close allready. So I went to a 2" fold. Looking back I probably could have got away with 1.25" to 1.5"

Looking from down low right from the side, the 2" fold I made looks pretty aggressive. But on a Cuda the fender rolls in so much that when you stand 10 feet away you don't notice it as much. The closer you get at standing eye level, the less you notice it.

When you run a 17x9 and 5.6 backspacing, you run into the same situation. Read here: http://www.moparfins.com/CLAIRDAVIS/Cobra_Wheel.htm Clair is only running a 17x8. With a 17x9 and 275/40/17 tire the outside edge will be further out. So

Cool! thanks... But according to the pics that Clair posted it looks like I'll have plenty of clearance on my Duster in the front. But I guess the mock-up will tell. I may have found some 18x9 cobra wheels... So I'll see if I can get my hands on them.

How about Mustang 18x9 inch rims? Here on a Mopar front suspension with late model FMJ spindles, Charger 14 inch brake rotors and Viper calipers.
5666673-18inch.jpg

What did you use for hubs and caliper brackets? Also what are the rotors specifically from? Also please post pictures once you get some rubber on it. Looks impressive!!

That brake kit is from DoctorDiff. Viper calipers, new Charger rotors, custom hub, custom caliper bracket. DoctorDiff has some cool parts and his kits are well designed. The hoses are included and fit nicely and all the hardware is supplied.

That brake kit is from DoctorDiff. Viper calipers, new Charger rotors, custom hub, custom caliper bracket. DoctorDiff has some cool parts and his kits are well designed. The hoses are included and fit nicely and all the hardware is supplied.

Thanks for the information

Here is the Bullitt rims on my B body car with Baer brakes.
5729217-Bullitt.jpg

Careful, Andy,
Looks like that might be bolted on for keeps - if you're not careful, your hotrod might end up back together if you keep that up!

As usual, great looking setup!

Clair

5666673-18inch.jpg

Gonna be tough to bleed that caliper. :-D

Yep, caliper is mounted upside down in that picture. I didn't want to go to the work of changing knuckles just to check the fit of the parts. Once I knew the parts would fit I went ahead and swapped knuckles.

-
Back