Anybody running 17" Cobra Bullit rims on a Duster

-
I'm going to 18x9's to avoid the OTR end and sway bar hitting the wheel, like my 17x9's do now. Haven't done it yet, so I'm not saying it'll work!! I'll report back shortly once the money tree has been shaken completely! :toothy10:

Planning for:

mustangtuning_2099_837343633

http://www.americanmuscle.com/blackchrome-saleen-18x9-9404.html

So they hit the OTR also? It looked close but I thought they would clear it.

Did you talk to Dave at Hellwig about your situation at Spring Fling?

Hey Steve, no I didn't...I wasn't there that long...I got there Saturday about 8 am and only stayed until 2. I got really sick all of a sudden so I just had to go back home...I didn't even get to look at everything, I missed a lot. Better luck next year I guess. I'll have to call Dave, or talk to him on here...In fact, I'll send him a PM right now...

I just talked to Dave over the phone, and what he said to do was install it back onto the car, and mark where I have interference problems, (which in this case is at full lock each side), and they will be able to re-bend the sway bar according to my measurements. So I'll give that a try, sounds better to try that than replace my whole k frame and LCA's.

So this is the one that I have, and the one below it is a Hotchkis, and If I copy the bends from the Hotchkis bar I think it'll give me the clearance I need...

2exrjv5.jpg

23upuly.jpg

...I want to get a set of cobra R wheels for my daily driver 73 Valiant just want to make sure there are no major issues. 5.94 backspacing...

On my 73-suspended 69 Valiant, I've got about 1/8" to the OTRE with 5.7" BS Cobra wheels. Going with 18's might fix that, if the wheel hoop is contoured right. Some are, some aren't. Heim joints for OTRE's might fix the situation, too, but might not be the hot ticket for DD use. The more my Valiant becomes a toy, the more I think Heims are a good deal. Gotta use up my new tires first, though.

Clair

I am able to borrow some 17x9 bullets. I will pick them up this week and check the fit to the OTR. I am also waiting on a call from Dick at firm feel hopefully he can have my swaybar modified or make me one that will work.Thanks guys for all the info.

Nate

Talked to Dick at firm feel he is going to make me a new bar based on my specs. The guys at Firm Feel are awsome to deal with. Picked up the bullets today and the bore is deeper than what it is on the FR500.

Well, I installed my Hellwig sway bar again, and here are some pics that shows where I'm having interference problems. It seems to me that the bar is a little too long, and it also interferes with the lower control arms...

These two pics show where the sway bar end links interfere with the strut rod...which I don't know why they do..
2visb34.jpg

2lkemok.jpg

Here at full lock, tire comes in contact with the middl3e of sway bar. I put a piece of tape where I think it should have a bend.

11lhpw0.jpg

21ninfb.jpg

same for the other side

2j4yjxg.jpg

and here is another shot where the end links hit the strut rods...

9a22k9.jpg

iy0o7k.jpg

I think I might cut a little corner off the lower control arm so the end of the sway bar doesn't hit it...

9izu5s.jpg

21czi4z.jpg

I don't know why I'm having all these damn problems...Any ideas? I think I might just be forced to run the '73 style k member, and the LCA's with sway bar tabs mounted in the middle...the sway bar is narrower and would mount inside the strut rods, instead of outside of them...But hell I don't know...I'm thinking who the heck needs a stupid sway bar...loosing alot of interest in this car...anyone wanna buy it?

that just may be the worst fitting sway bar ive ever seen. my addco didnt have any ofd theat.

can you post some pics of the front mounts? i have a theory....

ditch the sway bar and drive it before you really lose intrest. can hellwig confirm the 73 bar will clear? i cant believe i just about took a set of bullets and slapped them on my mostly stock duster, and you hit speedbumps one after another. boy did i get lucky. i would have been pissed after buying a new set of tires and rims to have all those problems. i only did a few upgrades still have the mushy original rubber up front and the car is fun to drive with the big t bars, heavy springs and 17"s all around. dont lose hope.

Well, I installed my Hellwig sway bar again, and here are some pics that shows where I'm having interference problems. It seems to me that the bar is a little too long, and it also interferes with the lower control arms...

These two pics show where the sway bar end links interfere with the strut rod...which I don't know why they do..
2visb34.jpg

2lkemok.jpg

Here at full lock, tire comes in contact with the middl3e of sway bar. I put a piece of tape where I think it should have a bend.

11lhpw0.jpg

21ninfb.jpg

same for the other side

2j4yjxg.jpg

and here is another shot where the end links hit the strut rods...

9a22k9.jpg

iy0o7k.jpg

I think I might cut a little corner off the lower control arm so the end of the sway bar doesn't hit it...

9izu5s.jpg

21czi4z.jpg

I don't know why I'm having all these damn problems...Any ideas? I think I might just be forced to run the '73 style k member, and the LCA's with sway bar tabs mounted in the middle...the sway bar is narrower and would mount inside the strut rods, instead of outside of them...But hell I don't know...I'm thinking who the heck needs a stupid sway bar...loosing alot of interest in this car...anyone wanna buy it?

call dick at Firm Feel and get the good stuff!!

flip your upper sway bar mounts, and shorten the end link spacer until the sway bar is level with the ground again. youll need a shorter bolt. should fix the problems.

Don't see that it will make any difference, but isn't the bend in the middle of the 72 down sway bar supposed to go over the bracket in the middle of the k-frame that goes to the core support, not under it? Just looks upside down to me. Can't say that it would change anything, but thought I would ask.

flip your upper sway bar mounts, and shorten the end link spacer until the sway bar is level with the ground again. youll need a shorter bolt. should fix the problems.

I tried this and still doesn't work...

Don't see that it will make any difference, but isn't the bend in the middle of the 72 down sway bar supposed to go over the bracket in the middle of the k-frame that goes to the core support, not under it? Just looks upside down to me. Can't say that it would change anything, but thought I would ask.

And I had the bar installed both ways, it makes no difference...SO, I'm sending the sway bar back to Hellwig, and they are going to make me a custom one..Free of charge...just have to wait a couple weeks....

my addco is shaped much differently. i like your mounts better though. i had figured that your mounts were similar. if you mess wth their mounts a little, it works a lot better.

mopardude is your sway bar solid or tubular? Was it the bar number 55906

It was p/n 55906. We usually don't have installation problems with this sway bar. However, we are dealing with a few extremes on this installation as far as ride height and wheel backspacing. We are working with Mopardude318 to come up with a solution that we can incorporate into future shipments of this p/n to avoid this problem. We are doing this free of charge since it is a fitment issue.

Dave on your site I noticed that you have both tubular and solid sway bars, is there any major difference in the solid bar and the tubular bar. Is the solid bar just overkill on a regular street car?

Mine is a tubular sway bar. I think the newer styles are all tubular, because it is lighter...

Dave, I got the call tag, and I'm sending it your way very soon.

Dude,

When you step up to wide tires and big anti-sway bars you start to get outside the realm of what the aftermarket is currently producing. Here is a custom setup I had built for my car. Notice the kink in the anti-sway bar to clear wide tires with lots of backspacing. Also notice that we hooked the anti-sway bar directly to the strut bar. That requires a custom built strut bar but it takes a bunch of compliance out of the system.

By the way, you have some nice pictures there of your car. I'm currently writing a book on Mopar suspension upgrades and I might be interested in some of those pictures for the book. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
5639945-Baer.jpg

dave can you confirm weather or not the 73+ br would clear? maybe while the bar is there being tweaked you can compare them? i have a 74 and am wondering what the fit will be like with my bullit rims

dave can you confirm weather or not the 73+ br would clear? maybe while the bar is there being tweaked you can compare them? i have a 74 and am wondering what the fit will be like with my bullit rims

Hey jamesdart, do you have the 73-up style k-member where the sway bar passes through the k-member and mounts in the middle of the lower control arms? I ask because I am almost certain this setup would work on my car...That's why, I'm contemplating swapping k-members, it's a lot of work but I'm willing to do it. First, of course, I'm gonna work with Dave and see what he can come up with as far as a sway bar.

AndyF, your setup looks interesting, I've seen that picture before, but not of the whole strut rod and sway bar setup...I'll send you a PM...

yeah 'dude its a 74 duster factory bbp discs, but no factory sway bar tabs. has the spool mount k frame. thats why i say i practically slapped the bullits on and was on my way, at least compared to all the speedbumps you hit. not all that bad to swap out a K tho.

-
Back