anybody smallblocked a d50? how about turbo'd one?

-

540demon

Reaction score
well..it took a couple years to recover from my colt build...and i finally got my nerve back to try another project. almost got one of the demons drug out of the woods...when this thing got in the way. same thing happened last time i went to get out a demon...except it was a stinkin colt in the way.
well..i came across a good deal on a fuelie 5.2 magnum/od trans + all the wiring harnesses + a few other odds and ends. this woulda been great in a demon body...but then i got to thinkin---fuelie huh? sure would be a good time to learn about turbos---geez..that would really rock a D50 wouldnt it! so here i am.....again!
after a few trial fit then hack then beat and bang sessions ive come to realize turbos would never fit in that engine bay. heck..im gonna be lucky to get a radiator in there!
so i decided that after everything is in there wired up and capable of driving itself onto and off the trailer...i'll fit it for remote turbos (or turbo). they'll live under the bed behind the cab.
shoot-my dad and i put a 440 in one of these back in the mid 90's (drag truck in the pic) so the smallblock street sleeper oughta be a piece a cake (yeah right).
this one gets NO paint-NO shiny wheels-NO traction-NO second looks! plain jane. it will get a cheapo black plastic toolbox in the bed (gotta put the air filters somewhere)!
stay tuned and see if i am able to do this-if i do pull it off-that should qualify me for an engineering degree shouldnt it?
comments?
suggestions?
input and guidance is always greatly apreciated

Attachments

• 3-18-2012.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 554
  • 2011-05-11.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 558
  • 2011-05-10.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 550
  • 2011-05-6.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 548
  • 2011-04-27.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 572
  • 2011-04-26.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 535
  • 2011-04-25.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 554
  • d50-1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 561
  • 2011-04-20.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 554
i'll get back to you in 1 week i have a website that has COMPLETE swapping information....they even tested their 360 setup the results were astonishing!

I did one a couple years ago, (I traded it off, so I no longer have it.) I lowered the engine crossmember to get the engine down in the chassis more. & I mounter a big GM style crossflow radiator INSIDE the core support so I didn't have to cut it. & just ran a remote fill cap on the upper hose. I set the engine back far enough so there was plenty of room for a mechanical fan, but ended up using an electric for better cooling. For such a mild 318 it sure would lay a patch!!! The video was done by a friend of mine ENJOY!

[ame="http://youtu.be/OPDYpGCxZBg"]http://youtu.be/OPDYpGCxZBg[/ame]

That white one in the video is exactly what I'm after....sleepy lil truck with some guts about it! I notched my crossmember for oilpan clearance. Drag link on the steering is keeping me from going any lower. Engine is as far back as it can go because of starter / steering box clearance issues.
85% sure I wont be able to fit a regular fan. It appears that I may have to rely on an electric pusher...which I haven't had good luck with in the past.
Wonder if the 93 alternator shaft is the same size as a 70's alt? Gotta lose the serpentine and go back to vbelt setup...serpentine wont clear the Hood...alt sits way too high.
Wonder if these fuel injected motors run hotter than the ol LA's? I'm fitting up a 318 a-body radiator (cause that's what I came outta the junk pile with).
Wonder if an old powersteering pump would return oil from the Turbo(s) to the oilpan?
Any ideas guys?

When it gets time to tune the Magnum motor with boost, search Duner on www.theturboforums.com

He has a pretty good fuel side recipe, that keeps fuel "right" and inline with the increased air flow.

keep in mind, stock stuff is speed density, it does not see improvements in air flow via mass air flow sensor like other OEM systems. Comparatively, it's dumb. If I recall, Duner used a inline booster pump in addition to stock intake pump (working on a Dakota), and ran an FMU with a certain plate, so the fuel rose appropriately to the air flow increase, that the OEM computer cannot see.

It might take some fabbing with tubing, but you could always run a large radiator on it's side in/under the bed with some fans. Seen that done before. Or thinking out of the box... two smaller ones on each side of the water pump...

When it gets time to tune the Magnum motor with boost, search Duner on www.theturboforums.com

He has a pretty good fuel side recipe, that keeps fuel "right" and inline with the increased air flow.

keep in mind, stock stuff is speed density, it does not see improvements in air flow via mass air flow sensor like other OEM systems. Comparatively, it's dumb. If I recall, Duner used a inline booster pump in addition to stock intake pump (working on a Dakota), and ran an FMU with a certain plate, so the fuel rose appropriately to the air flow increase, that the OEM computer cannot see.
I found duner's name a couple weeks ago while I was dreaming this whole Turbo idea up. That gentleman is one sharp dude when it comes to Turbo magnums. This Guy really has it together! By the way ....you ever do anything with your colt?

I had a 93 Dakota with the 318 mag and it never ran any hotter than any other engine I've had.
That's good to hear....my a-body radiator should be sufficient then....probably cut some holes in the top of the firewall so some of the engine bay's heat can escape through the cowl vents. Thanks for the info

It might take some fabbing with tubing, but you could always run a large radiator on it's side in/under the bed with some fans. Seen that done before. Or thinking out of the box... two smaller ones on each side of the water pump...
Good thought....the Turbo intercooler will likely reside under the bed somewhere.

Cool! I have a soft spot in my heart for D50s.....I had one back in 91......cool little truck.

Cant wait to see how this turns out!

A few decades ago my boss had a Ford Courier (?) that he had put the drive train out of a 68 Cougar in. Rear end dropped right in but the 302 was a pain. Do you remember the D50 converts? Cool pick up with a canvas top and a pop off hard top.

A few decades ago my boss had a Ford Courier (?) that he had put the drive train out of a 68 Cougar in. Rear end dropped right in but the 302 was a pain. Do you remember the D50 converts? Cool pick up with a canvas top and a pop off hard top.
I remember those...back in the late 80's when I was a kid my cousin was into the minitruckin scene. He did that on a Mazda pickup.

I found duner's name a couple weeks ago while I was dreaming this whole Turbo idea up. That gentleman is one sharp dude when it comes to Turbo magnums. This Guy really has it together! By the way ....you ever do anything with your colt?

Slowly.
I have decided to go straight up 70's Pro Stock vibe. I have Cragar Super Tricks, single 4 barrel tunnel ram, and going to track down a hilborn style scoop, anodized valve covers, etc.
Need to get started on the frame.

Slowly.
I have decided to go straight up 70's Pro Stock vibe. I have Cragar Super Tricks, single 4 barrel tunnel ram, and going to track down a hilborn style scoop, anodized valve covers, etc.
Need to get started on the frame.
Bitchin! Can't wait to see the lil colt finished up! Mine has been mothballed since about 2 months after I finished it. I pull it out every spring and fall and run it up and down the road a few times to loosen it up....but its mostly garage art anymore!

Marvin1.jpg

Marvin Hughes (The Hemi Man) had a D50 with (guess what?) a 66 Hemi in it.
The whole front end was tube framed and even with the firewall cut out and the engine set back it was still a tight fit.
It was also somewhat traction challenged.

I did one a couple years ago, (I traded it off, so I no longer have it.) I lowered the engine crossmember to get the engine down in the chassis more. & I mounter a big GM style crossflow radiator INSIDE the core support so I didn't have to cut it. & just ran a remote fill cap on the upper hose. I set the engine back far enough so there was plenty of room for a mechanical fan, but ended up using an electric for better cooling. For such a mild 318 it sure would lay a patch!!! The video was done by a friend of mine ENJOY!

http://youtu.be/OPDYpGCxZBg

Holy crap! Hypermite, my buddy down here in Woodburn Oregon had that very truck! I though that it was very cool and looked sSoooooo stock. unforntunately he keeps cars like (some- had to put that in- no offense CudaChick!) women change shoes and he only had it for maybe 8 months. I think he traded a 72 Bahama yellow Twister for it.
VERY COOL TRUCK!

Holy crap! Hypermite, my buddy down here in Woodburn Oregon had that very truck! I though that it was very cool and looked sSoooooo stock. unforntunately he keeps cars like (some- had to put that in- no offense CudaChick!) women change shoes and he only had it for maybe 8 months. I think he traded a 72 Bahama yellow Twister for it.
VERY COOL TRUCK!
I traded his 74 318 duster for it, man that car had a LOT of wierd/dangerous stuff done to it. anyway all that stuff is corrected & it's got a built 440 in it now.

I found duner's name a couple weeks ago while I was dreaming this whole Turbo idea up. That gentleman is one sharp dude when it comes to Turbo magnums. This Guy really has it together!

I know Duner had a turbo'd 4.7 in a Dakota, has he done a Magnum as well?

not a D50 but my son has an 87 dakota sweeeeeeeeet little thing.

Attachments

• Picture 083.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 393
I traded his 74 318 duster for it, man that car had a LOT of wierd/dangerous stuff done to it. anyway all that stuff is corrected & it's got a built 440 in it now.

Again Holy crap!- that yellow Duster was mine... I traded a 68 barracuda for it ,the was it sat. I had the Duster for 1 month and traded it for a 67 Dart GT with a 440 tunnelram etc that ran 11.8's. That guy kept the Duster for a short time and sold it to Frank (the guy you got it from). I'm surprised to hear about dangerous/weird stuff to the car being that I got it from a aircraft mechanic. He was very anal about the car and every thing looked new or rebuilt on it..... VERY SORRY TO RABBIT TRAIL THIS THREAD!!

-
Back