Anyone Been to PikesPeak as a Tourist

-
Well, we’ll play it by year. I’m thinking of staying in Colorado Springs for a couple of days.

We'll also be there the second week in October and are planning on going to the Summit. We plan on hiking part of the Barr trail too, but we'll see how the altitude change works out for us first.

red rocks park
old manitou
Olympic training center
cheyenne mountain drive
Lots to do in Colo Springs.
Cripple creek is relatively close if your into gold rush towns and gambling.
Denver museum of nature and science is amazing! But it's in Denver.
I 25 sucks! Try to not be on the I during rush hour times.

Pikes peak will be cold. Bring cloths. Leave early so you have time to kick around the mountain. When you get above timberline, stop at the big fields of rocks and dirt, you can find great quartz crystals just laying around. Sometimes you can find amazonite and a few other minerals but a lot of quartz crystals.
The many marmots you will see above treeline are edible and taste great. They were a delicacy of the mountain men as I am to understand. 2 week season on them during October.
If yal find problems in Colorado, I'm about 2 hours away from Colo springs. My family lives down there in the springs. Pm me if you have any questions about the state or have trouble while here.

I climbed that thing when I was a young man, 18. It totally kicked my ***. Experienced all four seasons on the way up. Watch for overheating brakes on the way down!

I climbed that thing when I was a young man, 18. It totally kicked my ***. Experienced all four seasons on the way up. Watch for overheating brakes on the way down!
You don't have to worry about your brakes ! There are a couple Park Rangers half way down conveniently located at the tourist trap shop that check your brakes for you and make you pull in to spend some money in the sovereign shop !!

I went when I was a kid and loved it. I also was in Colorado the second week of October last year and we had about 8” of snow. Not sure if they close the road during bad weather but keep that in mind.

A buddy of mine got 3rd place in the hill climb this year in his Audi also.

A6855174-D8ED-48A4-8076-F2514A0329E1.jpeg

You don't have to worry about your brakes ! There are a couple Park Rangers half way down conveniently located at the tourist trap shop that check your brakes for you and make you pull in to spend some money in the sovereign shop !!

When I was a teenager I drove a chevy van, with cool opera windows. Anyway, I went up pikes peak many times in that van. One time on the way down, the attendant checked my brakes and said they were just fine. About a half mile past that my brakes went totally soft. Had to go around each turn, ride up on the berm and push the e brake to get any kind of traction. Had to use the hill berms for some 15 or 20 corners until the pitch on the road was less drastic and the motor/transmission could brake it the rest of the way down.
Don't always trust the attendant, but do go buy some stuff.

-
Back