Anyone familiar with water meters ? UPDATE

-
They have done that .
Again ... 1 visit the meter was running at a rate of .5 gals/min
2nd visit by 1 plumber and 2 city guys shows no leak . ( 3 days later )
But my Dec bill was 3x normal and the Jan bill is 2x normal .

Neighbor says her bill is around $80 winter $105 July August . Ours was 175 in Jan and 225 in Dec . Waiting for the city to call me back now .
Don’t take it the wrong way, but I find it amusing that you complain about a possible water bill over charge, while you have a known ongoing toilet / water leak.
( mentioned in post #32) Repair that and do a very close inspection of all the other water use sites in your home. If one is leaking there may be others. Fix what you find then see what your water bill does.

Our December waterbill was 3x normal so we asked the city to do a leak check. A guy came out and said our meter was showing .5 gals/min with our house main off . So I crawled under the house and found no leaks between the valve and the foundation where the main enters . Then I dug up the sprinkler valves and backflow ... no leak there. So we called a plumber to check for a leak between the house and street ....he opened the meter and had us shut the main off in the house again . Meter was not moving ! No leak ! Open the main and verify all faucets were off ... no movement on the meter ! The city swears the meter cannot be defective... We just got our new bill and its 2x normal !

Note : TDS Fiber has been laying lines right where our meter is and the cut our neighbors main which prompted the city to come out to repair the line .
They also replaced our meter just before the bill spiked.

Can meters give eronious eeadings ?

Before bed check mtr reading and note position of large red arm and little spinning triangle take a picture dont consume any water throughout the night check it out in the morning if its moved water is going somewhere !!!!
We offer leak detection services to our residential and commercial accounts many people have bad internals in commode small leaks add up over a month.

Last edited:
Don’t take it the wrong way, but I find it amusing that you complain about a possible water bill over charge, while you have a known ongoing toilet / water leak.
( mentioned in post #32) Repair that and do a very close inspection of all the other water use sites in your home. If one is leaking there may be others. Fix what you find then see what your water bill does.

Yes i have been aware of the toilet cycling for some time but it has been doing that for a while . And yes I will replace it . It might cycle for a few seconds every few hours. Certainly not enough to impact the bill much .
And its not really the cost as much as needing to know what is really going on . If the meter is faulty I want it replaced ... but if it is a leak somewhere I would rather not have a sinkhole form in my front yard .
The increase in usage seems to ebb and flow ( no pun intended) which I think is odd if its actually a leak .

Yes i have been aware of the toilet cycling for some time but it has been doing that for a while . And yes I will replace it . It might cycle for a few seconds every few hours. Certainly not enough to impact the bill much .
And its not really the cost as much as needing to know what is really going on . If the meter is faulty I want it replaced ... but if it is a leak somewhere I would rather not have a sinkhole form in my front yard .
The increase in usage seems to ebb and flow ( no pun intended) which I think is odd if its actually a leak .
If u have county sewer then its costing u double and leak no matter how small u think it is cost alot over a month
Fix the leaks then this problem most likely want exist

Every municipality is different but we dont get a seperate sewer charge. Only the incoming water is metered.
If u have county sewer then its costing u double and leak no matter how small u think it is cost alot over a month

Our December waterbill was 3x normal so we asked the city to do a leak check. A guy came out and said our meter was showing .5 gals/min with our house main off . So I crawled under the house and found no leaks between the valve and the foundation where the main enters . Then I dug up the sprinkler valves and backflow ... no leak there. So we called a plumber to check for a leak between the house and street ....he opened the meter and had us shut the main off in the house again . Meter was not moving ! No leak ! Open the main and verify all faucets were off ... no movement on the meter ! The city swears the meter cannot be defective... We just got our new bill and its 2x normal !

Note : TDS Fiber has been laying lines right where our meter is and the cut our neighbors main which prompted the city to come out to repair the line .
They also replaced our meter just before the bill spiked.

Can meters give eronious eeadings ?

You are correct on that. Our city calculates sewage charge off water consumption. And I will be replacing the whole fixture this week . I replaced the downstairs one last year .
But I can assure you its not the cause ... its my master bath toilet and I can hear the pressurised valve when cycles while I am in bed . Doesnt happen but every few hours... same way since we moved in 6/7 yrs ago.
And we have compared the usage chart back to 2013 and our usage was consistant until Nov.

So the city left me a message yeaterday saying they had some more information but I didnt see the message until after hours .

I did however do some research and in July we used 29,000 gals with a bill of 104.00
December we supposedly used 24,000 gallons and billed 225.00 ... the math doesnt work ? And summer usage is billed at a higher rate due to demand .
Our normal December usage is around 3000 gallons. Hmmm.

Yeah, something ain't right....if you did have a leak @ 0.5gpm that = an additional 22320 gallons based on a 31 day month. Would you mind posting a pic of your bill? Cover up the personal info, or pm me Mike. Maybe a bill from this past December and prev December.
So the city left me a message yeaterday saying they had some more information but I didnt see the message until after hours .

I did however do some research and in July we used 29,000 gals with a bill of 104.00
December we supposedly used 24,000 gallons and billed 225.00 ... the math doesnt work ? And summer usage is billed at a higher rate due to demand .
Our normal December usage is around 3000 gallons. Hmmm.

Yeah, something ain't right....if you did have a leak @ 0.5gpm that = an additional 22320 gallons based on a 31 day month. Would you mind posting a pic of your bill? Cover up the personal info, or pm me Mike. Maybe a bill from this past December and prev December.

Sorry ... I was out playing pond hockey all day . Will do tomorrow

The city had a guy come out and read our meter again this week and we are back to normal consumtion ...lol

But they still insist nothing could go wrong with the meter . Hmmm

Just so you know, in Idaho when fuel goes up so does the price of water. lol
He probably just readjusted your meter.

I still want to know what happened .
If the meter works fine where did 40,000 gallons of water go in a 30 ft stretch ?

30,000 gallons a month? JHC. How many pools you filling? We have 1.6 gallon per flush toilets and I bet we don't flush them more than 20 times a day. 4 10 minute showers with mandated 1.75 gpm shower fixtures....maybe a load of laundry every other day and a dishwasher load every 3. We drink 10 gallons of bottled water every 4-5 days and no lawn watering...no running toilets. I'm still way under 1000 gallons a day! Hope you get your meter issue fixed.

30,000 gallons a month? JHC. How many pools you filling? We have 1.6 gallon per flush toilets and I bet we don't flush them more than 20 times a day. 4 10 minute showers with mandated 1.75 gpm shower fixtures....maybe a load of laundry every other day and a dishwasher load every 3. We drink 10 gallons of bottled water every 4-5 days and no lawn watering...no running toilets. I'm still way under 1000 gallons a day! Hope you get your meter issue fixed.

We Avg 3000/mo except during watering months .

Wife and 2 boys 15 and 7....and the 21 college dorm guy when he needs to do laundry!

-
Back