Broadband in America from an insider.

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Allow me to set the record straight here. I have worked in both cable and telephony and I may be able to shed some light on the hurdles both have to face.
Cable modems are great. They are super fast and are pretty reliable but they cost $$ and the service is SHARED between your neighbors and whomever else is on the same node that you are one. A node is a fiber optic fed device that mults the service off fiber to coaxial cable that feeds the homes. This has a fixed bandwidth so if 70 people are on the node, they are all dipping into the same pie that the fiber provides. Imagine the water tower analogy, very good description. Huge amount of broadband in the tank but 70 feeder pipes all sucking from it at once kills the throughput for everyone on that node. Cable also is an active amplification plant. It has trunk amps and repeaters in series from the node all the way to your house. each one of these is powered off the center conductor so there are no additional power lines feeding these amps (silver boxes up on strand with heatsink fins on them) if one 20A fuse pops, the entire line downstream of that amp is down and must be re-fused for the downleg amps to operate again. The cable plant is also made up of F-fittings on your cable system in your house. If any of these fail (suck out, corrosion, etc) they will cause degradation of signal. a TV is a good indicator of the cable signal quality. Used to be analog channel 2 was the hardest to transport as it had the lowest frequency and low frequencies are the hardest to send. If you had horizontal lines on 2, you had a bad fitting. upper channels were usually not affected. Nowadays the entire cable package is digital so there is no analog clogging up the frequency map as you can fit 7 or more digital channels in the same space as 1 analog channel. We ran our cable modems at -10dB not highter and our analog channels were 0 or better up to +10. Digital is now probably closer to -10 for the whole spectrum. Distance is usually not a huge concern for cable as it can be regenerated.
DSL is a completely different beast. You cannot regenerate a DSL signal. Load taps will kill DSL and your installer knows that. distance will kill DSL and the plant engineers take that into consideration when they prequalify your address for service. 18000 feet is the theoretical limit for DSL on good 24g cable but that depends on if there are bridge taps or buried cable in the system. Both will degrade signel. Line pressure? C'mon.....Telephony uses nitrogen to pressurize paper cable in the transport runs but turning up the pressure has no bearing on your line quality. We usually run the bottles at 10 psi and the compressors at 10 and we see down to 4psi on the field cable due to leaks and just plain amount of cable. It is used for moisture control: Nitrogen is a dry gas and will remove moisture as well as keep water out of submerged cable (flooded vaults, manholes, etc) if you turn up the pressure to blow out a cable, your cracking a 3500 psi bottle with no regulator or the cable is taped somewhere. Doesnt happen. Techs will make up anything to tell a sub how he fixed a line when he shows up and finds nothing is wrong. DSL speeds were from 128K up to 15M depending on your distance and truthfully, I think 7-15M is all that 99% of residential users need for streaming up to 3 seperate channels in 1080p. 4K streaming is ridiculous. its 4X the bandwidth of a hi-def feed and if your not using 45 or larger screen 3 feet away your probably not even seeing the improvement. video fans will disagree but 4K and 8K is gonna make the countries internet supply even worse. Bonded DSL (using 2 pairs) is fairly new and is gonna get up to 90M out to subs closer than 4500 feet, and we usually see about 18M to people out to about 9000 feet from the central office. INstaller needs to be very careful on the pairs he uses and usually needs to condition the pairs prior to putting the service on them for bridges and "hot drops" (bridge that goes to another address. Both DSL technologies require the home network to have filtered phone jacks and usually a good cat3 or better feed to the modem when using bonded speeds. Home wireless is usually good enough for under 100M but 53M is about where the older wireless routers max at with the newer routers using dual band and MIMO (multiple channels at once) can do up to 800MB, but does anyone really need that speed? I say not.
Fiber is the best bar none. If you can get it and afford it, GET IT! Its very robust, requires very little maintenance as its not based on corrosive copper lines and most of the stuff is under 10 years old. Speeds up to 1G, no problem but fiber is also a shared network. Too many people on a hub will affect performance but were talking only what a meter can see. Most all fiber problems are installers "stealing" ports in the hubs for new installs as the records are not 100% accurate and there is no way to determine if a fiber port is in use as they all have visible light. ANd there are hardware problems with Fiber in the ONTs overheating or the battery backup or a kinked fiber line or bad port int he tap. We see all the problems so we are aware what can go bad, subscribers only see their problem and many never have any. There you go, Broadband in America via private companies that all have a bottom line and executives to pay when the outside plant is falling apart and there is no money for proper repairs. Half our copper plant needs to be replaced in my opinion as its upwards to 70 years old in places...and people who have fiber on the pole still wont move over to it! WTH? One day we will stop offering copper service to Fiber addresses when the PUC will allow it. We still need to support it for competing LEC's as part of the money used to build out the copper plant was tax payer funded. Monopolies on the lines are a fact of capitalism. THEY OPERATE AND MAINTAIN THE LINES so we are not going to give it up to a competitor unless they buy the subscriber as a resale. Same with the cable company. ITS A CLOSED SYSTEM. They are not going to open their hard work for the competition. Imagine a pipeline (or your car!) , allowing anyone else to use it for free while still having to maintaining it? No thanks.

You are spot on.
The only thing I see different on the east coast here in the mid-Atlantic area, is we are refusing copper installs and repairs in targeted areas. If fiber has been placed and turned up as an overlay to the copper, a copper trouble will be deemed "fiber is the only fix". Copper installs in a fiber area? Not a chance. We have several Wire Centers where we have turned off the copper switch (in theory) and the remaining copper customers either make the switch or go elsewhere. By the time it gets to that point for them, they have been contacted several times over a 4-6 month period telling them to migrate or die with the copper.

The only thing preventing a forced migration to or install of fiber is if the customer's service is buried to a building that is in a concrete/blacktop island and has functioning copper. We don't provide a buried path under their parking lots - that is their responsibility. And even at that, we have equipment in the CO that is fiber based and interfaces the copper cable there, so the copper switch itself can still be killed - the customer''s end is still copper.

That's the basics of it, but yeah, we are refusing copper fixes and installations in certain areas.

Thats awesome! We got different PUC/FCC rules out here in Commiefornia as we cannot cut a copper drop off a fiber house as CLEC's wont be able to sell their copper based resell service to that house, seen as 'slamming' a customer to force our fiber service onto them. Our newest memo is if we are selling 9M or better internet with line share (landline phone) we must use VOIP off the modem for their phone service, not TDM. We have a few properties that are fiber only but we still have a 5-25 pair into them for their elevator and 2 fire panel lines that cannot be on fiber.

Thats awesome! We got different PUC/FCC rules out here in Commiefornia as we cannot cut a copper drop off a fiber house as CLEC's wont be able to sell their copper based resell service to that house, seen as 'slamming' a customer to force our fiber service onto them. Our newest memo is if we are selling 9M or better internet with line share (landline phone) we must use VOIP off the modem for their phone service, not TDM. We have a few properties that are fiber only but we still have a 5-25 pair into them for their elevator and 2 fire panel lines that cannot be on fiber.
****, we barely have decent pavement to drive on and ZERO sidewalks or curbs except the brand new sub divisions and right down town where the stores and tourists go.
Fiber available to the general public? Pshaw.:D

We started a few years ago of not placing any new copper to greenfileds. New Mdu/mtu house services such as alarms and elevators are on fiber as well. We just have to supply the initial battery at install. We have been doing CLECs on our fiber for several years.
As for SFU greenfields, if the developer doesn't want us to place fiber for some reason, we simply don't go in.

****, we barely have decent pavement to drive on and ZERO sidewalks or curbs except the brand new sub divisions and right down town where the stores and tourists go.
Fiber available to the general public? Pshaw.:D
In Lake Havasu we are still using spark transmitters similar to the one that went down on the Titanic. Out local high speed internet never even approaches the speed I pay extra for and if you call them on it they tell you they don’t really have to provide it for you if it’s not convenient. It’s so bad our local city government and the local paper have been calling them out publicly. Our sufficiently advanced technology is definitely distinguishable from magic.

we don't have cable here, shut it off years ago, so can't comment on that. Since the dawn of the internet age we consistently had the cheapest - slowest internet option that ATT offered, I believe it was DSL.
Last year ATT made us an offer, a 50% reduction in the internet price for a year, after that it goes to the lowest fiber optic price available locally if we allow them to run fiber optic from the box in our neighbors yard to our house and we then switch us over to high speed fiber optic internet. I had them put it in writing that ATT would cover all expenses for the change over outside and inside the house. Along with the new fiber optic that was buried in the yard they had to run a new wire in the house that ran all the way to the modem. That all happened last spring, no issues. Fiber optic was installed - buried in this neighborhood three years ago and guessing that we were the last ones on DSL in this area and they wanted to do away with that system.

I just retired after 41 years as a Facility Tech with Southwestern Bell, South Central Bell and then At&T, everything pishta said is spot on.

Between pishta, mark2205 and myself, I believe we've got a tad over 100 years with Ma Bell and her babies.

I just retired after 41 years as a Facility Tech with Southwestern Bell, South Central Bell and then At&T, everything pishta said is spot on.

Hey Mark, must be nice! Still at it. Craig

LOL If you guys know so much why can't you fix it and I'M KIDDING

Whatever was here before Time/Slimer now Spit-wreck-trum, they showed up one afternoon to look at visual interference on my two TV's and the ONLY thing in their service van? A portable TV which had been ROLLING AROUND in the van, and BROKE THE F CONNECTOR off so it didn't work either.

We are lucky where we are. At least 4 fiber service providers to our house.

My buddy did the math and I can retire in 4 years....yeah right!! :rofl:
Ill tell my Mortgage lender that. I can fix about anything in the plant, but I need authorization to buy the replacement housing or take the time to rehab the splice...and I rarely get it. Kinda sucks sometimes telling the sub that the copper is as good as its gonna get with 1 Gig fiber riding right next to it.

I think there may be well over a century of telephony & cable experience on this site. I retired from SWBT after 22 years & then went out as a contractor. I sold my business to a friend who was also a competitor & went to work in the cell industry. I got an offer from a small mom & pop clec to head their newly formed construction division. I left them after having a heart attack. I took 2 years off to get myself back in shape & then went into structured cable in school districts. At 66, I decidied I'd had enough & retired. Between my 22 years with SWBT & the other ventures, I have almost 50 years in the industry. I've seen the communications industry grow by leaps & bounds in that time & I find it amazing that technology has gone as far as it has, & it's still growing.

we don't have cable here, shut it off years ago, so can't comment on that. Since the dawn of the internet age we consistently had the cheapest - slowest internet option that ATT offered, I believe it was DSL.
Last year ATT made us an offer, a 50% reduction in the internet price for a year, after that it goes to the lowest fiber optic price available locally if we allow them to run fiber optic from the box in our neighbors yard to our house and we then switch us over to high speed fiber optic internet. I had them put it in writing that ATT would cover all expenses for the change over outside and inside the house. Along with the new fiber optic that was buried in the yard they had to run a new wire in the house that ran all the way to the modem. That all happened last spring, no issues. Fiber optic was installed - buried in this neighborhood three years ago and guessing that we were the last ones on DSL in this area and they wanted to do away with that system.
I`m still on it , copper running up the creek , in the air , 3 megabites per second .---------att. neanderthol internet .

Agree 100%, 20 years at Cincinnati Bell as Provision Copper /Fiber repair tech. We tried bonded pairs years ago and it flopped due to pair usage and not getting enough bandwidth to justify the cost. We were the 1st telco in the US to use ADSl, so we were told. Now we are installing fiber 95% of the time. Most telco's are trying to install more fiber so they can move from being a regulated Utility. Thats why the cable company can say "we will see you in two weeks".

We have a Mediacom monopoly. They started with the service and own the infrastructure. The line supplying our house is probably 50 years old and they really don't care about updating or upgrading. They're the only game in town unless you want a dish or phone lines. Both are slow. When we have an issue they send out a tech a few days to a week later and often the issue has fixed it self. (usually rain related) The tech's will tell you up front that the infrastructure is crap and all they are allowed to do is attempt a repair and fill out a report. The City is looking into a fiber utility but it costs a lot ot outfit the whole city. It would be the best thing though.

reading all these old posts brings a little warmth to a cold industry. Just got cross trained in Fiber, 2 day OJT was pulling fiber drops through 1" telephone line conduit using the copper drop as the pull string. Laguna Beach, CA. Hills, rich A-holes and a F'n **** show for records on where this conduit actually goes! We fed a 300 foot fiberglass fishtape into a conduit and we hit 290 feet when we were supposed to be right across the street at about 50 feet. We finally hit something and we kept hitting it with me walking around listening for any noises. We finally found it on the NEXT STREET down the hill, hitting the plastic EDISON vault cover! Yeah, another day in Laguna....We finally closed the tap on copper installs here, not happening here if fiber is on the pole. Now our Union is holding up a sweet contract because they want the entire fiber roll-out to be in house. Hello: we dont have 300 boring rigs or the additional vehicles needed for heavy gang work that will only be a 2 year buildout. They are mandating all this stuff be in house but we can barely fill the operating field positions. Oi veh....

I am on the other side-

Routers, switches and servers.

I am in year 27.

I stared with 48K then 56, 128, and T1.

That's what connected all of our outlying campuses/sites back to our data canter and then to "the cloud".

I got to help troubleshoot the connections with the ISP, be it the phone company or a cable company, etc.

I wish I had bought stock in Vermeer, after I first saw them directional boring for retrofit fiber.

In the past year, there has been a flurry of new activity.
Some is new housing activity, some is filling in areas that got passed over the first few times.

Last edited:
@ragtopfury & @pishta Do any telephone guys still use the old hand sets that installers used 40 years ago? The ones that you used in a pedestal or overhead box to figure out which wires to hook a new land line to? The reason I ask is because I saw one of the bums at an intersection the other day with one of those things. He had the top off of an AT&T pedestal and had that old set hooked up in the pedestal and was sitting on the ground talking to someone! The top is still off the pedestal, so I will watch to see if I see him doing it again and get a pic. He had an "Anything helps" sign, so I guess someone gifted him a free phone with no phone bill ! :realcrazy:

Yeah, we still have butt-sets. We need to verify the phone numbers and make test calls. If the guy was just sitting there, just the set and no other visible signs of being a real employee, and left the pedestal open, chances are he's not.

Part of my mini museum haging in my garage...
20221004_211857.jpg

It looked like the one farthest away in your pic, because I saw the pushbuttons. He is most definitely one of the regular panhandlers that bums at the intersection near I-40. I think I will stop and put the pedestal top back on, just to see if he takes it back off to use his newly found toy. If he stays brave enough using it, there's an AT&T office a mile away. The guys that work out of there use that traffic light all the time and will eventually catch him.

-
Back