Anyone into old minibikes?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Picked up a 72 Powell Challenger rolling frame from a customer, all I need is a 5HP B&S and a throttle....and 2 new tires...and a seat...and? Check out the expanding band rear brake (other side of wheel hub) and integrated rear tire sprocket. Even has a swing arm rear and telescoping front forks! The motor rocked in the frame to alter the slippage of the belt to regulate the torque and speed to rear tire, no clutch! The spring on the top tube was the stay for the lever that pushed the motor forward to engage the drive belt.
Resized_20230525_145550(1).jpeg

My goal......
5f018920.jpg

Maybe use a chrome 440 oil pan for the chain guard.....? And a horizontal stroke HF Predator/Honda GX200 6.5HP Motor if it fits. But an old B&S 5HP vertical would be cool as shown. This model is a break down, the seat comes off the rail with that spinner and the forks come off too with the other spinner so you can fit in car trunk (if you want the smell of gasoline in your car!)

Yea, when I came back from overseas in 1969 I wanted a go kart like no ones business.
My neighbor said, no Mini Bikes are where it's at now.
So I got a 3.5 Sears POS!
The start of my life long messing with engines and bikes.
Real simple, friction rear brake.

Here’s Old Blue, my mini bike I’ve had since I was a kid. Lots of folks have tried to buy it over the years, and it has been ridden by just about every kid who wanted to ride it. It’s currently on loan to one of the neighbor kids, who wanted to learn to ride so I loaned it to him.

3BBC378E-A2AA-42B4-B298-C62DFED3F16A.jpeg

3211C2B9-DE33-4DFF-8520-4FE10333B248.jpeg

I just picked up a Coleman CT200U. Not antique, 2017, but great shape, cheap like dirt and runs like gold. I have been looking for an antique, but haven't seen one like yours yet. That is damn cool.

D7DFC4F6-D9A2-4203-8FE0-E2D6A9E95A5E.jpeg

There's some fun stuff out there. Harbor Freight not long ago was selling a 206cc equivalent to one of B&S race kart motors for peanuts. About 11 horse I think. Comet Kart Sales has all things go kart or mini bike.

IMAG0198maxnkart.jpg
HF Greyhound 200cc that had no trouble with the B&S hot rod World Formula.

Last edited:
I've got an old mini bike roller that I 'think' is a Lil Indian. I've got a 5 HP B&S to put on it, but the motor was on a wood splitter. I have to figure out how to make the throttle work with a twist throttle instead of the "Off - Idle - WFO lever like it had on the splitter. I will get some stuff I need for it from the above link that I saved to favorites. Thanks @Unconventional

I've owned this Scat Cat almost 50 years now. It's made it's rounds through friends and neighbors, but is now back in my garage. I plan on restoring it someday!

scatcat3.JPG

Here is a 70-71 Speedway, Tecumseh engine long gone. The HF engine bolted up nicely, installed a better aircleaner and a header pipe. Most of the smalls I purchased off of eBay. Here is a minibike link, got alot of info from this place.

OldMiniBikes.com

IMG_4016.JPG

I have a 1969 Bonham Tote Goat I just put back together

If anyone needs parts for thiese things, call these guys. Known Jim since I was a kid.

-
Back