Anyone know how to do a bitchin burn out, lol !

-
My understanding, if I wanted to move forward while continuing to burnout. I would need to very lightly let off the brake

****. once ya get that tire spinning real nicely shift into second gear. then i just let off the brake all togteher. if you have the power it will spin for a damn good distance. be prepared though. with all the wheel speed it can get loose.. :)

no need for line lock, bleach or any other chemicals... only car in these videos with line lock is the black valiant..

Last edited:
Two small puddles of bleach under your rear tires if you like white billowing clouds of smoke. Use to do it in High school. I always wanted to install a washer bottle in trunk and squirters in the wheelwells.lol

If you start in first then shift into second according to what everybody says here. TorqueFlite Burnouts
You can do a manual low or manual valve body burnout in 1st if you like. Nobody does. If your racing a low gear burnout will just clean your tires so to speak. It takes tire speed to heat them up. Second or even 3rd does that.

We’re not talking about racing or about a manual valve body tranny. The second gear burnout came along with the rmvb as they didn’t have low band apply and nothing to keep the spread from free wheeling. None of that pertains to the op question. And as I stated the problem is when the tranny shifts back to first on its own. Kim

Two small puddles of bleach under your rear tires if you like white billowing clouds of smoke. Use to do it in High school. I always wanted to install a washer bottle in trunk and squirters in the wheelwells.lol

Did that exact thing back in the day. Had a gallon of bleach and a windshield washer pump with copper tubing squirting into the wheel wells. Had a button on the dashboard. Worked great till the bleach ate the pump.

The next revision was a big plastic pipe with a screw on cap. Filled it with bleach. Put a tire valve on it so it could be aired up with compressor. Hooked up a 12v solenoid in the line to the wheel wells. That design worked great.

We were going to use gas and a spark plug to ignite it to leave flaming tire tracks but we chickened out. That was early 70s. Then Back to the future stole our idea, Ha!

We’re not talking about racing or about a manual valve body tranny. The second gear burnout came along with the rmvb as they didn’t have low band apply and nothing to keep the spread from free wheeling. None of that pertains to the op question. And as I stated the problem is when the tranny shifts back to first on its own. Kim
My understanding is. You never do a burn out in 2nd or 3rd because with an automatic it will upshift. That’s not what you want. In low, an automatic will not upshift or downshift on its own. That’s why you use low.

They say the same about bleach. I don’t care about smoke. I want to move forward, while continuing to spin. Maybe, I don’t have enough power. What is a line lock ?

This was with a line lock and it shifts to second after about 3-4 tire rotations.
Once it shifts into second I pay attention to not over rev it.
When I’m ready to roll out I let go of the line lock button and the car starts rolling out.
This trans is a ktted 42RH overdrive with the low gear set in first and 3.55 rear gears.
Once I roll out with the tires spinning the car is moving too fast to shift back to first on its own.
No line lock is needed true, but it does make things simpler.
It also lets you load the drivetrain before your burnout so it’s not such a shock on parts.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=au4adi8lt8g

OP; in your case you want to disable the rear brakes, so you can modulate the rate of forward motion with the brake-pedal operating only the front brakes. Just back off the rear brake adjusters so they cannot apply the rear brakes.
But if you said, mid-70s A-body with a 318, you better not have a sure-grip, cuz if spins them both at all, it won't for very far. But if you peg-leg that 7.25, you better put some fresh, high quality gearoil in it, and overfill it, to get some cooling power in there, else the crosspin will try to seize up the spiders ,usually with disastrous results.
If you do overfill it, then service your vent and install a 2 to 3 ft hose on it, and anchor the free end up on the shock crossmember. Leave some slack for suspension travel, but not enough to allow puddling in the hose. This is to allow the hot oily vapors out, and to allow the oil to run back into the tube, instead of onto the road.

****. once ya get that tire spinning real nicely shift into second gear. then i just let off the brake all togteher. if you have the power it will spin for a damn good distance. be prepared though. with all the wheel speed it can get loose.. :)

no need for line lock, bleach or any other chemicals... only car in these videos with line lock is the black valiant..

That's right. You got it. And no matter how much you preach it, there's always somebody that'll argue. The biggest thing is keep the tires spinning THROUGH the second gear shift. If you allow the tires to hook on the shift, that's when bad things can happen.

Also, if you have to employ the rear brakes during a burnout, you're doing something WRONG. You can use the brakes, but you only use them to flash the converter up, then you release the brakes before the power over comes the brakes ability to hold. If you allow the tires to spin while the brakes are depressed, that's complete abuse and can result in damage to the brake system. Burnouts are abuse enough as it is, but there are ways to minimize that abuse.

Last edited:
OP: I'm hearing a lot of advice here. But if you want to learn from a true professional, go to U-Tube and type in 'the best burnout ever !!!!'. Watch and learn.

Nothing beats a thread with burnout videos. Thanks guys!
I put a 400 into a 59 regent more door, figured i would give it a little test. Barely need to use brake at all. Guess trying to get all that weight moving was what made it easier. That was fun. (Don’t tell the owner!).
Had to give it a workout, stress test is mandatory.

Yes, I researched what you said. My understanding is. Don’t let off the gas in 1st gear. So, I up shifted. Before, I left off gas. To avoid breaking anything. I’m not going to push my luck very much. I just wanted to learn how to best do it or see if I could improve. My dad use to drag race when I was young at a sponsored track. But, he passed away just as I was about to turn 16. Before, I got a chance to learn from him. I don’t recall anyone wetting tires when I watched back then.
This was my old man at the track. I was around 12 when this picture was taken. He was about 32-33 . I missed out on a lot over the years, resulting in him passing very young. He always owned a bad *** car back then. It’s been nearly 30 years and people still bring up how he always had the nicest cars. Very big car guy. Where I wasn’t for a long time because I missed out on sharing those things with him to a large degree. I’ve grown into that stuff in the past few years. It connects me to him, because I miss him.

View attachment 1715596623

Uniontown, PA.
Ever go to the flashlight drags in Waynesburg ?

-
Back