Anyone local to me capable of correcting errors on a 904 race build

-
He did. Big Dad believes he knew better. I can't say I blame him but there's lots going on here. Johns reply was a good one yet everyone wants John to come here and join the **** show then cut the guy a check when he already offered to fix it.
You really think he accepted resposibility? Give me a break. Whoever put that transmission together had no business touching one in the first place. There's no way I'd send it back to a shop who had proven themselves to be so incompetent. A fair resolution to me would be a refund for the labor portion of the "build" (hesitant to even use that word), as well as a refund for any parts that were damaged as as result of the incompetence. I would bet a large sum of money that CRT loses MUCH more cash as a result of this thread than if he just manned up, apologized and offered at least a partial refund in the first place.

You really think he accepted resposibility? Give me a break. Whoever put that transmission together had no business touching one in the first place. There's no way I'd send it back to a shop who had proven themselves to be so incompetent. A fair resolution to me would be a refund for the labor portion of the "build" (hesitant to even use that word), as well as a refund for any parts that were damaged as as result of the incompetence. I would bet a large sum of money that CRT loses MUCH more cash as a result of this thread than if he just manned up, apologized and offered at least a partial refund in the first place.
This thing has calmed down in the last week and he gets on here today to post about stripped threads. He can't help but keep the drama rolling with this. John has publicly talked about this but the only song you guys wanna hear is poor little Big Dad's. It's really easy to paint whatever picture one wants his audience to see here.

Really? You believe every word that comes out of big dad's mouth don't you? This thing has calmed down in the last week and he gets on here today to post about stripped threads. He can't help but keep the drama rolling with this. John has publicly talked about this but the only song you guys wanna hear is poor little Big Dad's. It's really easy to paint whatever picture one wants his audience to see here.
So, big dad's a liar now? Please... Obviously there's three side to every story, but at the end of the day, a little customer service goes a long way. And we all know that's one skill that CRT tends to lack.

So, big dad's a liar now? Please... Obviously there's three side to every story, but at the end of the day, a little customer service goes a long way. And we all know that's one skill that CRT tends to lack.
The guy has been good to me so I don't know what to say to that. He took 10% off an almost $4000 order that I placed the week before he started a 10% off sale when I called with a question. Maybe my good experiences and the communication I've had with Cope are preventing me from letting this go. I don't know. Not that it matters but I did edit my post before your response.

I don't agree with some of the comparisons or whatever they make here but the situation is talked about. I'm realizing it's one of those deals that if a few of us were sitting around shooting the bull we'd probably find resolve or come to an agreement.

John Cope , CRT transmission charged me for a race 904 that is 100% A pos and I am just relaying what all was wrong , he he has accepted zero responsibly for a $5000 PLUS mistake , its a online scam and , he needs to refund me my money or attempt to make things right

I thought you all would enjoy this gem too ..

The tail shaft bolts leaked. tried to tighten them , they were stripped out .. his cure , goop them up with silcone and basically glue them in place , he is a hack
You better make sure those tailshaft bolts are not stripped. We are dealing with aluminum here, which is soft. Many rebuilders hit those bolts with a impact gun, but
I am pretty sure those bolts in the shop manual are very low torque. Like 15ft lbs.
The entire weight of your motor and trans is pulling on those bolts. That’s why low torque. If you think about where your tranny mount is, if those bolts pull right out, that would be a disaster. Those bolts cannot leak
If the gasket is good, and the bolts are not stripped and are snug. What can leak is the
Shift lever pins that the tailhousing covers over. The gasket does not cover one shaft.
The seals need to be changed on a rebuild, but many including myself don’t always change them. If there is any doubt on the condition of the housing tailshaft threads, get them helicoiled, and I use longer than stock length
Bolts there to get maximum engagement and strength. Imho.

I thought you all would enjoy this gem too ..

The tail shaft bolts leaked. tried to tighten them , they were stripped out .. his cure , goop them up with silcone and basically glue them in place , he is a hack
Did you tell Cope the bolts were stripped, or did you just tell him they are leaking.
I have hopped up a leak from the lever pin
That had bad seals in it to get buy, but stripped bolts is very different.

How do we know that it wasn’t his new local builder who stripped the threads. Maybe he had his 200ft lb impact on tighten instead of loosen. Too many hands in there now to keep blaming Cope. The new builder also rebuilt it after all and it still has issues.
He says the pressures are not right. What is the pressure. This is a transbrake tranny.
Probably at least 170 or more. Not specific
Enough.

John Cope , CRT transmission charged me for a race 904 that is 100% A pos and I am just relaying what all was wrong , he he has accepted zero responsibly for a $5000 PLUS mistake , its a online scam and , he needs to refund me my money or attempt to make things right
I’ve watched the video and I’ve tried to help and advise you. I feel very bad for your terrible experience. Apparently John does too. But I personally think some of this is on you. Your local rebuilder does not manufacture valve bodies. He does not convert lockup trannies to non lockup.
I said earlier that only Cope knew what was suppose to be in that tranny, because it is his design. Mistakes in the build were made, no doubt, but you did not give him a chance to fix it. You made the situation worse by bringing in another builder. Earlier your rebuilder said the sprag was put in backwards. According to Cope the only thing that was wrong with that trans was a wrong torque converter, and a small drilled passage was not drilled in the valve body. Imho no way Copes owes you $5,000. Cope offered to do what any good business person should do with an unhappy customer which is to fix what was wrong. He offered to do that and you declined because you think he was not polite enough to you. I feel bad for you.

How do we know that it wasn’t his new local builder who stripped the threads. Maybe he had his 200ft lb impact on tighten instead of loosen. Too many hands in there now to keep blaming Cope. The new builder also rebuilt it after all and it still has issues.
He says the pressures are not right. What is the pressure. This is a transbrake tranny.
Probably at least 170 or more. Not specific
Enough.

I can see your a big fan of John Copes ..

I know enough to tell you this , the transmission was a complete pile of junk , it now is fixed and we will test it when I can find a spot to drive it safe enough to see how it works

Without the local builders help it would still be in a ground of pile of junk , he was extremely Helpful and accommodating.

Much different than the original builder was / is ..No way I would send it back to that butcher

I have a witness, on this board that posts here to tell you about John Copes work but, I won't name him so he might want to stay out of the limelight

tailshft bolts on leaking transmission are now heilcoiled

Last edited:
he will receive a notice soon and we will see where this goes

Home
I can appreciate that your local guy was courteous to you. But he had to contact John himself because he could not fix it either.
So in a way John still helped fix your trans.
I work for a major auto manufacturer building oem engines. You think we never make a bad one. It happens. And when the customer
Is rightfully pissed off that his brand new $100,000 sports car threw a rod, the customer comes back to the oem for repairs, he doesn’t go to one of the other manufacturers who never designed the thing for repairs. This is not about being a Cope fan, it is about even the most talented people make mistakes on a bad day. In my line of work we have a saying. Building one good car is easy, building 10,000 good ones is much more difficult. The valve body that Cope makes is probably done on a cnc machine. The drill bit could have broke and they did not see it. Whose fault is that. It’s a process failure. **** happens. I do machining tools for a living. It happens. Cope may have made 25 valve bodies with that defect before they caught it. Your converter was ordered wrong somehow. That could have been a typo in the part number. I get that you are upset for this terrible experience. Cope messed up. I get that too. But you brought in the additional labour costs and $500.00 for fresh fluid etc. Like I said I feel bad for you. I got divorced years ago. It cost me a fortune. Chalk it up to life experience and move on all the wiser. But continually bashing Cope for tailshaft stripped threads after the trans has had another set of hands on it, is not based in facts.

How do we know that it wasn’t his new local builder who stripped the threads.
It could've been. Like I said, there's 3 sides to every story. Either way, Cope's customer service skills still suck. If he's spread so thin that it makes him an asshole on the phone, then he shouldn't answer the phone. I've had the 'pleasure' of calling him during a bad time. Reading of similar experiences from others are just the nail in the coffin for me, as is this thread. I just wish the OP can get his little wagon on the track soon. I can't wait for that video!

simple solution , don't open the thread if you don't like what you read

I'll continue to work at getting a refund , unless you would like to pay my bills ?

Now, tell me why .. any reasonable reason accepted , that someone that is fixing the transmission would cause an issue, fix the problem, then tell me about the issue after its fixed so he can throw shade at the original builder ?

Now, tell me why .. any reasonable reason accepted , that someone that is fixing the transmission would cause an issue, fix the problem, then tell me about the issue after its fixed so he can throw shade at the original builder ?
Did your local builder call cope to tell him that his valve body was missing a drilled passage. I doubt it. He probably called Cope to tell him that the pressure were way over the top and did not know why. I sure Cope trusted your local builder to trust that he knew how to read a pressure gauge and through the conversation Cope asked him to check a few things and between the two of them Cope realized that a pressure bleed off hole was missing and that was causing the high pressures. Earlier I heard it mentioned of no forward gears at all. Over the top pressures would blow the seals out of the forward clutch causing no drive, no nothing.
So as I said Cope still assisted in fixing your trans. But how is your local builder supposed to know that passage was missing. He did not design it. But he was unable to completely fix it either.

Last edited:
I don’t believe anyone meant to strip those threads. As I said earlier many builders probably assume yea a 3/8-7/16 bolt ok to torque to standard 45-50 ft lbs. but not in this location.

If your local builder caught those stripped threads, regardless of who or how it happened, and didn’t bother to fix it, and while you and your kids are in the car and the motor and trans fell out from the car and caused an accident, who would you sue, John Cope? Your local builder was the last person to work on the car. He would be liable for knowingly letting that go without
Repairing it. We don’t even know that Cope built that tranny, he only admitted to building the valve body and said that some of his staff at that time couldn’t build anything. We only know the trans came out of Copes shop. We don’t know certain facts so how can you blame everything on Cope.

It could've been. Like I said, there's 3 sides to every story. Either way, Cope's customer service skills still suck. If he's spread so thin that it makes him an asshole on the phone, then he shouldn't answer the phone. I've had the 'pleasure' of calling him during a bad time. Reading of similar experiences from others are just the nail in the coffin for me, as is this thread. I just wish the OP can get his little wagon on the track soon. I can't wait for that video!
The problem with these kind of threads is they don’t mention how many satisfied customers there are. We only hear about the few who had a problem and decide to go on the internet and trash the business and not always tell all the facts. Cope has publicly told his side of the story and even admitted
To maybe not handling the situation very well. But he claims to have offered to pickup the trans and fully fix for no charge. But because he was grouchy, he was not given the chance, and according to the op, because Cope was not cordial on the phone, entitles him to a several thousand dollar refund. I doubt that will fly in court, and people are not always very cordial to each other in court either.

all the answers have been posted on here, go back read from the beginning.

The Indiana states attorney encouraged me to file a case against him , so I did ..

guess we will find out

He can easy put the matter to rest refund a fair amount for all the problems and what it cost me to
correct the issues

I hardly think I'm out of line , it was poorly built , with wrong parts, installed incorrectly.

It would also be nice to receive an apology.

The Indiana states attorney encouraged me to file a case against him , so I did ..

guess we will find out

He can easy put the matter to rest refund a fair amount for all the problems and what it cost me to
correct the issues

I hardly think I'm out of line , it was poorly built , with wrong parts, installed incorrectly.

No disputes there. I think your problem will be that he offered to fix for free. If he can prove that, I think you’re outta luck.
If you gave the trans back to him to fix and he messed up a 2nd time, then I think it would be justified to go to another builder.
But I think any reasonable judge would allow a mistake with an offer to fix for free and cover all transportation costs as reasonable.
Again if Cope can prove that. And like I said, even though you went to another builder, Cope still assisted in the diagnosis of the problem. There are laws against slander too.
The only thing that I think you should be entitled too is the cost to have someone remove and reinstall the trans.

guess we will find out

correct the issues

What parts were installed incorrectly.
Cope says you got a wrong converter and a missing machined passage in the valve body.
I think more or less Cope apologized to you in the video. He said he feels bad about the whole thing. Says he understands how you feel. I have followed this thread from the beginning. All the answers are not there.
Some answers are only what your local builder told you. Several members told you that we did not buy the sprag was in backwards. I advised you that only Cope knew how that trans was built.
You started off saying the wrong input shaft was in there. I advised you that according to the build sheet that it is supposed to use a lockup input shaft. Then it was said the wrong pump gears were in there. Nothing was clear in this thread. Facts are not clear.

-
Back