Anyone Running A 400 In Your A Body

-

whitedawg

Reaction score
Inquiring minds want to know.....If you are what difficulties did you have installaing, ie motor mounts, headers, starter etc Are you satified with the results and anyother input
Thanx

Was very easy. 512 with Indy sr heads

512s.JPG

Are you curious about an actual 400 inch B engine and it's performance or just how the block fit in?

I myself want to do this as well. I'd love to stroke it, but that is an added expense I yet can not afford. A rebuild is one thing and alot cheaper.

Are you curious about an actual 400 inch B engine and it's performance or just how the block fit in?

I myself want to do this as well. I'd love to stroke it, but that is an added expense I yet can not afford. A rebuild is one thing and alot cheaper.

Rumble, i've done a few of the A body BB swaps over the years., its relatively easy, but i will say, if you just drop in a run of the mill rebuilt BB with a stock bottom end, you won't be that happy with it, there basically plagued with the same issues the SBs have, lack of compression/cam/exhaust ect., so if you decide on just a rebuilt BB, change the pistons, & don't skimped to much on a cam, BBs love bigger cams.

I am also interested in the fitment issue. I am putting a 500cu in BB (400 block) in my 72 Dart when it gets back from machine shop.

Im in the process of buying a 73 Duster with a tired 318 and want to look at all options. Have read a few articles that there is good potential in the 400. Carolina Machine Equipment is offering a 400ci/400 hp engine at I what I think is a very reasonable price. I just dont want to do major surgery to install the engine and accessories
Thanx

Hey fellers,
I just got done doing a 400 in a 69 Valiant. We did Schumacher mounts and headers. Everything fit real nice, a couple of minor fitment issues but nothing that wasn't easily solved. For a stock 400 with a Purple Shaft Hemi Grind .484/.284 cam shaft, Street Dominator intake and a 750 D/Pumper with a 373:1 gear I think it runs real good!!

You can check out the build thread here, http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,42356.0.html

Good Luck With Your Builds!!!

Hey fellers,
I just got done doing a 400 in a 6 Valiant. We did Schumacher mounts and headers. Everything fit real nice, a couple of minor fitment issues but nothing that wasn't easily solved. For a stock 400 with a Purple Shaft Hemi Grind .484/.284 cam shaft, Street Dominator intake and a 750 D/Pumper with a 373:1 gear I think it runs real good!!

You can check out the build thread here, http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,42356.0.html

I'm going to say it will fit!

duster,hemi.jpg

Hey fellers,
I just got done doing a 400 in a 6 Valiant. We did Schumacher mounts and headers. Everything fit real nice, a couple of minor fitment issues but nothing that wasn't easily solved. For a stock 400 with a Purple Shaft Hemi Grind .484/.284 cam shaft, Street Dominator intake and a 750 D/Pumper with a 373:1 gear I think it runs real good!!

Nice Valiant, I have been following the build on BBD. I bought a set of Stainless steel block hugger shorty headers that are center dump that I am going to try for my BB transformation.

1970 383/727 with power steering and manual brakes, schmacher headers and mounts, mini starter. There are a few spark plugs that I had to "modify" a couple box end wrenches to get at them but otherwise no problems. It's getting a stroked 400 at some point in time, gotto convince the misses it ain't fast enough yet.:snakeman:

8.jpg

I just put a 383 in the 71 dart last night with the transdapt mounts and it slid right in. Wont be doing headers for a month or two but so far so good.

I just put a 383 in the 71 dart last night with the transdapt mounts and it slid right in. Wont be doing headers for a month or two but so far so good.

Did you use the part number 4697? It was only $72, did it come complete and quality?

So guys, hows the clearance between the oil pump and motor mount tower?

We made motor brackets that bolt to a sb k member, we had to narrow the left mount tower and box it in so the oil pump didn't hit.

This is my plan,and so far towards that goal I have a 78 400/727,shumacker mounts and a fibreglass front end. The inner fenders will go,but the shock mounts will stay. A tube frame arrangement will replace the inner fenders.Should help make way for bigger headers.

I've been looking at a front mount rack and pinion arrangement to further clear the route for headers.Seems to me the biggest barrier to making big power in a big block A is the headers. Good headers are either too much $$$$ or too small a primary in order to make them fit easier.

Gosh, this thread is making me druel.
Yea, no doubt.

Did you use the part number 4697? It was only $72, did it come complete and quality?
No spool mounts and to what year can it be done in? Until the spool mounts?

Hey fellers,
I just got done doing a 400 in a 69 Valiant. We did Schumacher mounts and headers. Everything fit real nice, a couple of minor fitment issues but nothing that wasn't easily solved. For a stock 400 with a Purple Shaft Hemi Grind .484/.284 cam shaft, Street Dominator intake and a 750 D/Pumper with a 373:1 gear I think it runs real good!!

Big Slim, good lookin out with da link. Theres a good board as well.

Im in the process of buying a 73 Duster with a tired 318 and want to look at all options. Have read a few articles that there is good potential in the 400. Carolina Machine Equipment is offering a 400ci/400 hp engine at I what I think is a very reasonable price. I just dont want to do major surgery to install the engine and accessories
Thanx
Ask the Carolina shop what cam there useing and how the 400 is made with what parts. Worst case, you swap out cams and such. But then again, what's new with hot rodding cars.

Rumble, i've done a few of the A body BB swaps over the years., its relatively easy, but i will say, if you just drop in a run of the mill rebuilt BB with a stock bottom end, you won't be that happy with it, there basically plagued with the same issues the SBs have, lack of compression/cam/exhaust ect., so if you decide on just a rebuilt BB, change the pistons, & don't skimped to much on a cam, BBs love bigger cams.
I think I'd agree without ever being a "Been there done that" Guy. I'm NOT happy with te '78 - 400 in the Magnum.

I was day dreaming of a zero deck 400. Maybe something else slug wise, who knows? I never did the math to it yet on a slug for a ratio. 10-1 max.
The cost of headers is scary.

Quote " So guys, hows the clearance between the oil pump and motor mount tower?

With a /6 K member ya gotto grind a little bit off the corner of the drivers side tower to miss the oil pump bolt, about 3/4" square.

Quote " So guys, hows the clearance between the oil pump and motor mount tower?
With a /6 K member ya gotto grind a little bit off the corner of the drivers side tower to miss the oil pump bolt, about 3/4" square.

thats right...and the 6 k member is the same on the drivers side, it's the pass side mount they change for the 6.

6 & v8 K's use the same driver side motor mount tower.

I beleive the v8 tower needs to be notched as per the instructions in the shumacher kit in order to clear the oil pump.

Yea, no doubt.

No spool mounts and to what year can it be done in? Until the spool mounts?

Big Slim, good lookin out with da link. Theres a good board as well.

Ask the Carolina shop what cam there useing and how the 400 is made with what parts. Worst case, you swap out cams and such. But then again, what's new with hot rodding cars.

I think I'd agree without ever being a "Been there done that" Guy. I'm NOT happy with te '78 - 400 in the Magnum.

I was day dreaming of a zero deck 400. Maybe something else slug wise, who knows? I never did the math to it yet on a slug for a ratio. 10-1 max.
The cost of headers is scary.

I've always run hooker FWs, IMO, they make great power, aren't all that exspensive, & make changing plugs/starter a breeze, & all you need is a set of 90* wires & you'll never have a burnt one, the shumauchers are just too restrictive if you want HP.

You can take a 400 block if you find/have one, then stuff in a 440 steel crank, have the counterweights turned down, 440 rods, & some KBs or forged FTs, with 906s or 452s (un-cut) & a .039" gasket, you should be around 9.7.1 with the piston around .009" in the hole, i ran the Ross pistons, this was just a basic build, didn't break the bank with iron heads, ran a windage tray & 7 qt. pan, small hyd. XE284H & an M1 single, 750dp., ran high 10s shifting at 5600, i spent alittle extra on Z-Gap rings, & Wave-lock rod bolts.

I beleive the v8 tower needs to be notched as per the instructions in the shumacher kit in order to clear the oil pump.

This is true. You need to hack them off (DS) & drill new holes in a lower position, but i've found that there template is not that accurate, if memory serves me, the holes need to be a tad bit lower.

Thanks Joe, I think, unless lots-o-money comes pouring in from somewhere, I'll simply stick with the 400, as is.
Replacement slugs and con rods with quality bolts will be about it to start.

I think the quality of the kit was fine. I used the one for a /6 to B/RB- not sure of the PN off hand. It came with all hardware I needed. I did have to trim the drivers side mount for the oil pump clearance and I think the Schumackers come with that already done. Very little clearance needed on the drivers side perch to clear the oil pump

-
Back