Anyone shop timing chains lately?

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
Request best bang for your buck input.

I have seen single rollers for $70

Am not sure what I am looking at, looking at the chain to recognize double roller

Most float around $100, I need to save a few $ on a double roller

Request best bang for your buck input.

I have seen single rollers for $70

Am not sure what I am looking at, looking at the chain to recognize double roller

Most float around $100, I need to save a few $ on a double roller
Look at a stock 340 double roller,spend the extra duckers,not a Chev..
Yeah,they have gotten pricey, most are crap.. The best luck,I've had: Early /older *** Edelbrock chains/anything German/Rolon .. The high end Cloyes: fair for quality ,overpriced.. ( the higher end stuff only, being Mopars small block dimensions,are harder on timing chain sets. I highly recommend the 3.9 Dakota v6 timing chain tensioner setup.)

Double roller means that it has 2 rows of 'rollers' , one on each side of the chain and that roll over the 2 rows of sprocket teeth. This is as opposed to the older production chains, that had sprocket teeth that were solid teeth across the sprockets, and with solid matching chain teeth.

We settled on this double roller from Mancini for $63 that has some cam timing adjustability in the crank sprocket. And they have double roller without the adjustability for $42. But I can't tell you anything about the quality, durability, etc.

http://www.manciniracing.com/man318340360.html

If you want low price and availability, Advance quite often has one in stock!
Just ask them to look one up for a 340, bought one for my 360 a few months back.

You have to be careful with what auto parts stores have in stock.

Don't be a blind dumbass and just buy anything. There's a reason I always recommend that true roller from Cloyes. The rollers on the chain are not split and just curled around the pins. They are seamless and one piece and will not distort causing even more chain stretch.

Get what the auto parts store has just layin around if you want to. But it will be a really stupid mistake.

Yup, Cloyes True Roller is the ONLY way to go.

Cloyes original tru roller 9-3103. If you can't part with the money for that good of a chain go with the Cloyes street tru roller 9-1103

My cloyes billet roller timing chain...i got the two piece option....

never again....5 bent valves and pushrods while it was just idling...

Attachments

• Picture 721.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 344
  • Picture 720.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 351
^^^ Ouch... I have not had a master link chain... that I installed... in well over 30 years. (I assume that is what this is...)

Whichever one you get, make sure the rollers are one piece.

I know what not to buy is Comp cams, I sent the last new one back because it was really loose, like 50k miles loose.
Put in a old MP never used one and it was so tight, I had a hard time getting it on.

I have had good luck with Cloyes, I have a older used billet roller on the shelf, but Tony your post has me wondering.

Why double roller? Rocks got an OEM silent type for 6.95. With the change you got left over, you can buy a Mopar chain tensioner and forget-about-it. They sell 2 double rollers, one with a 1/4 pitch and one with a 3/8 pitch, so you need the correct cogs with the correct chain. All chains stretch, gears wear over time. Without a tensioner youll be back in there in 50,000 miles to see any chain flacid again unless you get one with a hardened gear set $$$

I used a timing set from Engine Pro as recommended from Brian at IMM. The chain is pre-stretched, so a tesioner is not needed. I've use a couple of them now, and they are stout. Seems like every Cloyes set I've ever used end up stretching after a short while.

I used a timing set from Engine Pro as recommended from Brian at IMM. The chain is pre-stretched, so a tesioner is not needed. I've use a couple of them now, and they are stout. Seems like every Cloyes set I've ever used end up stretching after a short while.

How bout a link?

-
Back