Anyone tired of their 4 speed and went to auto?

-
I once had to drive my 4speed Road Runner about 25 miles through Atlanta's infamous stop and go traffic with the most severe case of sciatica I have ever experienced. That was the day I stopped saying never to an automatic.

P.S. It's still a 4speed though! ;-)

I have had 4 speeds for most of my life. My knees are shot, so it is reverse manual valve bodies for me now. I have had one in the Demon for 3 years and after getting used to it, I wouldn't go back to a 4 speed even if I could. The 727 is quicker and it is one less thing to think about.

Jack

Is your Cuda a factory 4 speed?Or did you add it?This would be my decision maker,but to each his own I guess.

Haven't driven many 4 speeds but they are without a doubt more fun.I drive mine in the city mostly.Had my 727 rebuilt and a shift kit put in.Now I shift gears anyhow,but it's nice and easy to just bump the stick forward.B+M shifter.8)

Pressing that clutch pedal and shifting becomes too much work about the same time that it's too much effort to stand up to pee.

Every time I drive my barracuda....I wish it was a 4 speed....I want one more than words can explain....

I drive mine like a total reject and broke it repeatedly until a vibration got the best of me, too many rebuilds on the engine and not enough sense to use offset dowels on the bellhousing. I put in a 904 with a T/A valve body and good internals and have never looked back. I love it

When I was at the track this Sunday I had a few folk's say you have three on the tree :shock:
Wow!! you did not mis a step going down the track 8)
I guess they think it's a hand full. NOT!! I have driven three on the tree many year's and would love to go to the floor with a 4 or five speed.
I would do another build if I wanted a automatic, They sure can build the 904 fast these day's. When I had my 73 340 4 speed Challenger it was fun to drive and plenty fast, But there was no where to set my morning coffee.:-D

If your car is a 4spd leave it that way and start another project.........I DID!

70 Dart Swinger 410 4spd
67 Dart GT 402 904 Auto/Console.

Plus if your a real 4-speed guy, you don't use the clutch for anything but taking off in first gear

I'm fairly new to a 4-speed so I can ask dumb questions about it. How and why would you not use the clutch? Save time?

What the heck is double clutching?

Haven't driven many 4 speeds but they are without a doubt more fun.I drive mine in the city mostly.Had my 727 rebuilt and a shift kit put in.Now I shift gears anyhow,but it's nice and easy to just bump the stick forward.B+M shifter.8)

That sounds a lot like me when I had my 68 Charger with a built up shift kitted 727 with B&M Quicksilver shifter using a built 383. Except it would shift harder and quicker just by keeping my foot in it and let it shift on its own. The trans man said to stand on it and let it go..... go it would! It had 2800 Mopar Performance stall converter with 4:10 sure grip! I miss that sooooo much!

I have seen vids with racers tearing up the dragstrip using a 4-speed and using the clutch.... they have to be tired at the end of the day.

I swapped mine from an auto to a 4 speed then back to an auto 13.03-108 mph with stick 12.80-105 mph wih auto still have 4 speed stuff in case i get the urge to use three pedels again

I will always remember a few years back when I asked our nanny, who was from Italy, if she could drive a stick if she had to. She said of course, in Europe only handicapped people drive automatics.

I will always remember a few years back when I asked our nanny, who was from Italy, if she could drive a stick if she had to. She said of course, in Europe only handicapped people drive automatics.

It's the same way here, just most people don't apply for the plates.

I find Auto's more costly too. ( a built auto) You may pay more money up front for a 4 spd car, but you will spend more money in the end replacing trannies, and building up trannies over and over again.

I know someone is going to point out that I mentioned I was going to switch my demon to auto because it is cheaper...I have all the parts allready, so the price of a clutch and shifter rods and shifter exeeds the cost of my Auto set up I allready have.

If I was going to keep the car, it would be 4 spd.

I knew I was gonna get flamed LM<AO>!

I'd like to do the slick shift mods to the 4 speed and I have alot of fun with it.

Just dealing with some contamination and probably ruined my disk because it shatters, slips under load and won't light the tires up, but everything after first gear is fine.

Looks like I gotta rear main leaking and the trans pretty much leaks at every orifice.

Gonna pull it and fix it all, but was thinking that an auto would not be as picky nor would it slip from a pesky oil leak.

i love 4 speeds, out of my 10 muscle cars 2 are autos. nick name in school was 4 speed ron. i had a tattoo in my right hand of a 4 speed pattern in mirror image so it lined up on shifter knob

everyone says stall conv. my clutch pedal down makes a stall speed of whenever i choose.

i also dont live in a city.

auto in new trucks and beater cars is fine to just run around in.

nothing like shifting through the gears at 7000 rpm

oh man, i had a oil leak in rear main in stroked small block in my vega and sucked with the clutch, i know the slipping chattering you have.

Crossram likes to stir his own soup ! Hell I'll even stir Ten gears if thats what it takes ! Here's a picture of my Pistol-Grip 10 speed Dodge Dump ....one of none !!!

019 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

016 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

Cudaspaz,
Keep the 4 speed and ditch the small block. Your car would be AWESOME as a big block 4 speed car!!!! :cheers:

-
Back