Anyone using a P4452782AE on 340/360?

-
Those are a little heavier than the cam really needs. The cam only needs about 100-110 on seat. Pinch that 1.80 height down to a 1.65 and the seat load moves up from that 120 number.

TF 16901-16 are a better alternative for the cam. Same as the 901-16 from comp, just a bit less $ from summit, etc.

Just going off the published specs for the cam @RustyRatRod

268 208 Int
274 214 Exh
Lift 429-444
LSA 114
ICL 112

Dinky cam IMO. Same as any 69-73 340 camshaft

Last edited:
Those are a little heavier than the cam really needs. The cam only needs about 100-110 on seat.

Just going off the published specs for the cam @RustyRatRod

268 208 Int
274 214 Exh
Lift 429-444
LSA 114
ICL 112

Dinky cam IMO. Same as any 69-73 340 camshaft

I wasn't aware Mopar ever published .050 numbers. I thought they just "said" they used .850 insteaf of the norm .750 to figure it. But I never got that to work either, because I think they simply "didn't want you to know". lol I've gotten weir numbers on every Mopar cam I've ever degreed anyway, so who da heck knows?

Yes, that's the only place I've ever seen it published, but did that info come from Chrysler? I've never seen Chrysler's published .050" numbers.......I guess that might be them. but I don't know. Sure is a hell of a difference from advertised.

The Victory site has the duration at 050 numbers because he did the work.

Well...He did not do a very good job....cause he says the MP590 is 265 @.050....everyone that I have degreed in is 271 degrees....and same thing with the MP557 cam...he says 252 @.050....just did one a month ago..and it was 257 @.050...,,,,

check the old article...Mopar Performance Purple Shaft Camshaft - Mopar Muscle Magazine.

That's what I was gettin at. I've read a lot of places the numbers on the Victory site weren't "that good". I've measured ot n the degree wheel and came up different. Different than Victory and different using the .850 figure that Chrysler gives. So who knows what they really are? Did Chrysler ever really know? lol

I think that's what Chrysler wanted. They did have a formula for it, they didn't want "us" to know. I firmly believe that's what it is.

Those numbers I posted were really close to the 210-212 intake I got on a 340 cam. The 528 I did was close to the VL site as well, within 2* IIRC.

The cam is small and not as big as the XE or voodoo cams at .050, along with a lot less lift too. Mild cam and stock parts are fine.

Quality control has NEVER been a strong suit for MP parts. LOL

Those numbers I posted were really close to the 210-212 intake I got on a 340 cam. The 528 I did was close to the VL site as well, within 2* IIRC.

The cam is small and not as big as the XE or voodoo cams at .050, along with a lot less lift too. Mild cam and stock parts are fine.

Quality control has NEVER been a strong suit for MP parts. LOL

Yeah you can say that again.

and I agree the 340 cam is a small one.........but eve you gotta agree..........it was really good in the stock 340 "back then", right? Better than a Chevy 350.

That .850 x advertised is a joke for the factory cams. Summit used to list the stock 340 cam with 228 at .050 intake which is off by about 18*. The number for stock cams is .777 which is closer.

smaller at .050 but ,much longer seat to seat duration which is what counts
.050 is only useful as a rough gauge and setting the cam timing
engine does not start to make compression till the intake is fully closed which is what counts
many aftermarket camgrinders list the mopar specs but others use SAE and publish .050
others advertised "blueprinted" etc and then you see teh same profile for both big block and small block!
does look like a stock 340
BVVC of some hot rod cam grinders that advertise "our version of"
no idea what they are

Last edited:
RRR alluded to a magic formula
here it is
take an engineering drawing or design data and determine the timing points where the opening/closing ramps meet the acceleration ramps
add 4 degrees to each (camshaft degrees not crank degrees)
these are the timing numbers shown in shop manuals
having a lower or taller ramp does not change the timing
having a longer or shorter ramp does not change the timing
how useful?

Well, opted for this cam with the 901-16 springs. Installed everything a few days ago and should be breaking it in next week. Thanks for all the insight on both cam and springs.

Jake

Regardless of what’s printed in the mp catalog for duration numbers, that’s just a stock replacement 340 cam.

I ran that exact MP cam in a 360 with 3.23's, automatic. 100% street form and over 3200 lbs without driver. It ran 13.30's all day long, I liked that cam.

Run that cam in the ground all you want, but it's hard to find one that does what it does as well as it does. Idle like a kitten. Pull past 6K. That's an engineering feat if you ask me.

Not according to Wyrm.... LOL
Run that cam in the ground all you want, but it's hard to find one that does what it does as well as it does. Idle like a kitten. Pull past 6K. That's an engineering feat if you ask me.

Well, opted for this cam with the 901-16 springs. Installed everything a few days ago and should be breaking it in next week. Thanks for all the insight on both cam and springs.

Jake
Good luck Jake! i just broke in mine on Sunday. I love the sound at idle sounds nice.

Not according to Wyrm.... LOL

TO me, when you run down the 340 cam.....you're runnin down Mopar. I'd love to see some stats on how many street races were won with box stock 340s. Probably the best ever engine package. Ever.

engine does not start to make compression till the intake is fully closed which is what counts

The engine will start to build compression before the intake valve is closed. Have a valve hang .002 off the seat and run a compression test. It WILL NOT read zero!

Maximum compression building efficiency is when the valve is closed completely/sealed.

-
Back