Apples to apples?..

-
there is no pro stock any more , its chevy pro , all bought and paid for by G M chevrolet division !!
Well there are a couple of Fords running now and even they have bbc architecture under the hood.

But BUT BUT!!!!
Do you remember when chry came Back to Pro Stock! and they wouldn't let them use the proposed block because it's "ARCHITECTURE" was chev based...............
Does any on else remember that..........
They did NOT want chry back in the game for any reason!!!!!

Is apples to apples even possible in a perfect world?..
We know that not one of us is running the same exact identical combination. Some of us are running the same heads or the same carburetor or the same cam. But generally other things will be different. Let alone the car that it's in the traction that it's getting through its particular set up whether it be SS Springs caltracs ladder bars etc. Let alone transmission kind and internal setup...
Let alone the conditions of the day...
And let's not forget goals.. Street? Strip? Street/strip? Strip only?...
And another thing was your apples to apples tested on a dyno? And absolutely everything else the same? Was it seat of the pants?...
This is why I've always been interested in NHRA Stock Eliminator. When you run XX.XX @ ***.XX, you can compare to anyone else running the same rules as you. Yes, it's evolved (devolved?) over the years, but there are thousands of runs by all sorts of combos to compare with.
As much as I love NHRA Stock, I admit most of my racing has been brackets; it's easier.

I don't understand building anything with the cheapest components available when you know the quality is crap.

I don't understand "racing" against a time clock and "losing" when you go too fast.

The factories built the ultimate apples to apples engines but, like in nature, some just wind up sweeter than the one right next to it.

I don't understand building anything with the cheapest components available when you know the quality is crap.

I don't understand "racing" against a time clock and "losing" when you go too fast.

The factories built the ultimate apples to apples engines but, like in nature, some just wind up sweeter than the one right next to it.

And what class is this and do you race it Next question is how many times a year

Not quite sure what you mean...

Well if you don’t like classes that run against a time and running under there aren’t many classes left. Heads up and being competitive in it takes money, lots of it. And usually a good crew. If it’s a volunteer crew it better be convenient for them. Stock, super stock, brackets, index classes, super classes, and many others race the clock.

Well if you don’t like classes that run against a time and running under there aren’t many classes left. Heads up and being competitive in it takes money, lots of it. And usually a good crew. If it’s a volunteer crew it better be convenient for them. Stock, super stock, brackets, index classes, super classes, and many others race the clock.
Im talking about running solo without any winner... I always liked grudge racing against my buddies. I class raced 50 years ago and that was fun too. But you have to have a winner or it isnt any fun.

Im talking about running solo without any winner... I always liked grudge racing against my buddies. I class raced 50 years ago and that was fun too. But you have to have a winner or it isnt any fun.

Class Racing is high cost bracket racing with a number on the window just like the lowly bracket racer. Difference is I, the lowly bracket racer races for more money and lower entry fees. Grudge racing is all about the hype. Give me this and give me that type of guys. I want the hit, I want the leave, I’m fast but give me three lengths. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Class Racing is high cost bracket racing with a number on the window just like the lowly bracket racer. Difference is I, the lowly bracket racer races for more money and lower entry fees. Grudge racing is all about the hype. Give me this and give me that type of guys. I want the hit, I want the leave, I’m fast but give me three lengths. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.
I say line em up and let the chips fall where they may. My motor too big? Race someone else... My engine too small? Lets runnthem and see.

Class racers are a unique group, for sure. The do have expensive cars, and they do mostly bracket race. Just to add to what you said, when they are paired against a car in the same class, it's heads up. Also, at some National events, they have class runoffs, where all individual classes are competed on a heads up basis. But yes, they mostly bracket race.
One class racer commented on another site that his machinist said he doesn't understand why he spends so much to go so slow. lol
I've always liked the concept, that of getting the most you can out of existing parts, but it has devolved for lots of reasons, a big one being how hard it is to get and afford the parts for a 60's or 70's car. Rules have changed too, they ain't as stock as they used to be. Later cars are run too, but they're not as popular for the most part. Exceptions would be later model Z28's Mustangs, etc. But they cost a bunch, too.

Class racers are a unique group, for sure. The do have expensive cars, and they do mostly bracket race. Just to add to what you said, when they are paired against a car in the same class, it's heads up. Also, at some National events, they have class runoffs, where all individual classes are competed on a heads up basis. But yes, they mostly bracket race.
One class racer commented on another site that his machinist said he doesn't understand why he spends so much to go so slow. lol
I've always liked the concept, that of getting the most you can out of existing parts, but it has devolved for lots of reasons, a big one being how hard it is to get and afford the parts for a 60's or 70's car. Rules have changed too, they ain't as stock as they used to be. Later cars are run too, but they're not as popular for the most part. Exceptions would be later model Z28's Mustangs, etc. But they cost a bunch, too.

Have you checked entry fees and payouts lately. Add to that they are a fill in at National events. Take off work and come in early and we will run you when we get a chance. Go enough rounds you can be a fill in into the weekend. Sponsors used to pay nice 1st and 2nd place money but that has an is disappear too. Now even top running Michael Beard (Mopar) not only races big money bracket races but puts on several races a year.

Have you checked entry fees and payouts lately. Add to that they are a fill in at National events. Take off work and come in early and we will run you when we get a chance. Go enough rounds you can be a fill in into the weekend. Sponsors used to pay nice 1st and 2nd place money but that has an is disappear too. Now even top running Michael Beard (Mopar) not only races big money bracket races but puts on several races a year.
Yep. A friend and I ran a D/SA Road Runner in the mid 90's. Payouts were still decent then, but the National event schedules were nuts. Show up Thursday, maybe get one run, maybe one Friday, possibly Saturday. First round Saturday afternoon or evening (try dialing after that schedule!), finish up Sunday. Or maybe two runs Friday, go into elims Staurday. LOTS of waiting around. And yes, all fill in. The divisionals weren't as bad, but still a long weekend, especially if you went out 1st round after all of that. You could win 15K for a national, and I think about 3K for a divisional (with the right decals) back then, so it was a gamble. I was able to break that habit, but I know of plenty of guys that have been doing it since the 70's! And as you said, it's even more $ to get in, and lower payouts. Not to mention motels and meals. We enjoyed going to local Stock/Super Stock combo races a lot more. Get there in the late morning, and be home at dinner time. What a concept!

D98D2DC7-FA0F-4999-BBB9-02C08A76C0B2.jpeg
Hey J Par I saw this today and cracked up laughing. It made me think of you instantly. Lol.

-
Back