Aren't A-Body 8 3/4" axles supposed to be in demand?

-
I have been buying Ford 8.8 rears and you really have to jump on them because they disappear fast.

I think many have the same idea. I can't even remember the last time I looked at an 8.75.

Why, when I can get 3.73 limited slip for 150. Bucks and burn two black marks to the end of the block.
Iv gotten 2 8.8 explorer rears with 3.73 31 spline axles and disk brakes for $100 each. I'm using the one for parts (short side axle,backing plates and ebrake cables) and using the other one in my dart. I'm gonna keep the parts one just in case I ever need to build a 2nd one I will have an extra housing and carrier. All for 200 bucks that's hard to bet imo!

Maybe because they are overpriced. If they would come down a little in price, people would consider them a little more. I have one to sell as well, and as usual am negotiable when it comes to the price. The center sections are still up there, and that doesn’t help sell an entire unit.

What do you know? I've got one in Grandpa's old Ranger 4X4 and didn't even know it!

_wP9HnNjyLjP_cQMBDStkS3cUKvxQG6hIdoPWi9uIQKkKAu5GHednmLA21uOfCbGNxTUePZ0O6CreD9kkU=w1222-h916-no.jpg

Like said, Texas is a chevy world. If I was building a street rod, who cares. But for my Mopars, I rather drive 6 hours and give $250 for a 65-70 B body 8 3/4 than a Ford 8.8 Just me.

I lucked out and bought a 3:23 Sure grip from a friend. $100. Threw in a pinion seal and stuffed her in. Done!

They aren't that cheap near me, did some looking on the junkyard site, high $300's and drive two hours was the cheapest. I got my second 8 3/4 for $500 with new SS springs, I'm happy with that. Now I have a spare, that'll probably never get used.

I think price has something to do with it. At least for complete A-body 8-3/4 rear ends.

What you could buy for $400-$600 bucks just a couple years ago, now people want $1200-$1500 for.

Just my 2cents.

The last one I sold was complete, drum to drum 3.23 - I had it listed locally for months for $450.00 - no sale.

I took it to Spring Carlisle & it finally sold, late the 2nd day.

The high asking prices on several of the ones I seen are way out of line.

I looked in the classifieds here and see three for sale with Sure Grip chunks in them (Mine included in that three) and they don't seem to be getting much attention.
I know they are not cheap but I thought that Summer would be a great time to sell stuff since almost all the shows and swaps are in the Spring, Summer and early Fall.
What the heck ??

i didn't see the ones for sale here but usually they are way over priced. lots of people want them still but don't want to pay 800-1200 dollars for them..

its cheaper for me to get a c-body one and have it narrowed and perches moved. i have a friend that will do it for me for about 150 bucks...

as far as the 8.8 goes.. is the explorer one a better one to have because it has 31 spline axles?

as far as the 8.8 goes.. is the explorer one a better one to have because it has 31 spline axles?

And the fact that it has Disk Brakes already...all Rangers are 28 Spline and have Drums until 2010 after 2010 they went Disk but were still 28 spline. They only put the 8.8 in the Rangers with a V-6 IIRC.

I do remember reading about those.
Don't those have to be modified by shortening one side ?
You can if you want, some people dont bother, and it fits fine with modern offset rims like mustang GT rims.

Plus you get 1/2" RH lug studs, 5 bolt 4.5" circle lug pattern, and rear discs. Use a Dana Spicer 457 U joint that's specced for a 91-92 Dakota rear driveshaft, and the ford yoke will couple to the mopar driveshaft. Everything on it is SAE thread except for the bolts holding the rear calipers on. The vent tube hole is the same thread as a mopar vent tube, and close to the same location, so you can use your brake line tee, and vent tube bolt.

I detailed how I shortened the one for my sons 69 notch in the driveline section. It's pretty straightforward though you need a good welder. Easiest way to know how much to remove is measure both tubes from flange to flange subtract the 2 numbers and that's what you remove, also you can stand up both axles on your workbenches and measure the height difference between the 2 at the spline end. Once shortened, its approx 1/16" wider than a stock A body width rear. That's not much of a difference.

The rear disc brake parts are dirt cheap. Got my bendix rotors from rock auto for $15 each. A new bearing and seal kit from ebay with timkin bearings on sale was $60. New Yukon gear clutches, cross pin bolt, S spring and friction modifier $80. Plus other goodies to rebuild it. Once ready to install fully rebuilt with all new brakes, and custom made E brake cables plus purchase price I will have $450 in it.

The bonus is if you get an xploder rear that's already had a full on brake job to save you some coin.

NOTE: the rear brake calipers changed to a different design sometime in 1999, so if your rear is out of a 99 explorer, write down the build date off the door jamb sticker so you can figure out which type yours it.

What I get with the shortened 8.8 rear is mopar A body ready, BBP, rear discs, 31 spline axles, 3.73 gears, and limited slip for $450.

I built an 8.75 for my 67 notch. Had to piece it all together. Sure its fully rebuilt. Has 3.73s, a new Sure Grip in a 742 case, BBP, new bearings, fully rebuilt finned 10x2.5" drums.
However I have $1600 in it !!!

That's a difference of $1,150 and you get disc brakes with it. Had I known about the xploder 8.8 dealio years ago, I woulda went that route on my 67 too. But I am into my 8.75, in dollars, and the time hunting for parts, and I'm gonna keep it now.

The stock clutch and S spring setup is ok, and you can shim it to make it tighter, Stang bangers do just fine with 28 spline axles, and stock limited slip setups, and their cars weigh in close to an A body. However you can get a better limited slip center if your power levels go higher than what it's designed for.

As far as a pinion snubber goes, you got 2 choices and that's lookin like either Caltracs, or old timey yellow Lakewood slapper bars. Gonna make our own slapper bars and paint em black.

Last edited:
its cheaper for me to get a c-body one and have it narrowed and perches moved. i have a friend that will do it for me for about 150 bucks...

The one that I have for sale IS a C body axle. It cost $350 to have the housing narrowed and the axle shafts cut and resplined.

thats cheap compared to what guys are asking for original housings.. i can get my housings done for 100-150 then buying axles.. i prefer the 8 3/4 over a 8.8 but understand why guys go that direction.

I have a 67 C body housing learning up against the wall of my shop as well. Bought whole thing rum to drum for $100 got the 742 open chunk with freeway 2.94 gears out of it. It had tapered axles otherwise I woulda gotten those shortened and resplined. Lucked onto a truck 8.75 that was narrowed to an A body width. $150 and no perches on it.

The xploder rear made the most sense for my kids car from an economics standpoint especially since it's going BBP, and what's under the back is a SBP 7.25 pegleg rear. Now theoretically I have $1100 to spend elsewhere. Quite honestly at a local cruise or car show, nobody is gonna look under it and say, hey that's a ford rear end.

Last edited:
Uhhh....I would! I look under many cars. I like to see torsion bar sizes, the routing of the exhaust, rear sway bar designs, axle types...
I'm not a purist on transmissions or axles but I am on the engines! Not a fan of other engines in Mopars!

Maybe because they are overpriced. If they would come down a little in price, people would consider them a little more. I have one to sell as well, and as usual am negotiable when it comes to the price. The center sections are still up there, and that doesn’t help sell an entire unit.
Have to agree with Geof and others here...ones I've seen are overpriced due to demand and in some cases, people paying it.

I have been buying Ford 8.8 rears and you really have to jump on them because they disappear fast.

I think many have the same idea. I can't even remember the last time I looked at an 8.75.

Why, when I can get 3.73 limited slip for 150. Bucks and burn two black marks to the end of the block.
Jeepers buy em for jeep based articulated rock crawlers.

I see a lot of prices that from dreamers. Yes price will vary in different parts of the country, I admit... I have a goat price at $145,998 BUT so far all I get is laugh at!!!!
Some seller know the market, some don't, some are opportunists, some are crooks ( sell you a bent housing?), some just want to turn a POS into a big or small pile of cash to support their car build?? Good used parts seller are a must in our hobby, we just have to deal with all kinds.??
mopar2000 has good info n how to do things, he has done them!

-
Back