Average age of Mopar Maniacs.

How old / young are you?

• Total voters
-
I'm 50, soon to be 51 in April. The first car I ever drove was my stepdad's 65 Dart 270 4 dr /6 hand me down. In high school it wasn't too cool of a car given it's rusted out condition, and all the Chevelles, 442's, and Trans Am's that were out there. Four months after I had that car I upgraded to a 72 Chevelle like all the other kids with the cooler cars at that time. However, 34 years later I now own a 66 Dart 270 4 dr /6 that I bought two years ago. I think it's very cool and wouldn't trade it for anything else. It's funny how time and age can change your perspective on things sometimes.

I am in my mid fifties now and I got my first car from my grandfather when he past [70 Fury]. After that it was all mopar. I bought my 62 Fury be for I got married and knew that if I sold it I would not have another car again, while raising a family. So there were some lean years when the car was put aside so my children had the things they needed. But I have managed to hold on to it for over 30+ years and what a ride it has been.

17 Here, so still a young blood. Got my first Mopar in February. A 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger. Gettin' her done this summer, got almost everything I need. I'll be sure to post pictures of the work and the finished product. Gonna be a great way to start senior year.

im 20 have a 340 swinger been a mopar nut since the age of three thanks to my dad

42 brought home from hospital in a 70 RR First Car 74 Duster I bought when I was 14 Lot of busing tables in Sumer and shoveling snow in winter to get the coin. Hard to believe that was 28 years ago.

I personally have been a mopar maniac my entire life since conception in the back of my dads 63 Plymouth until today and many mopars in between born sept 23, 1964. My father is 75 and still a total Mopar maniac! He has over 15 Mopars in his stable and 6 of them are factory Hemi cars, 2 are factory 426 max wedge cars one 4spd, 4 of them are 440's 2 have 4 spd dana , 2 383 cars 1 is 4spd and one 340+6 4spd dana T/A challenger which is his only E body car. A few of his cars are the original race cars from Grand Spaulding Dodge where he raced from 1964 to around 1972. To me he is the ultimate Mopar maniac and still races his cars in the Nastalgia races.

i'm 39 for the 21st time today.......been a mopar head ever since high school when the drummer in my band used to get to drive around his mom's grocery getter, a 383 68 charger......he used to spank a lot of iron around the high school with it, then take it back to mom..........heh.......
higgs

My first car was a 52 Chevrolet that my uncle gave me. I think I was 15. I inherited a 61 4-dr Biscayne when my brother went to college. I blew up that turd brown piece of crap real fast. Then got a blue 67 Barracuda coupe. Man, I was somebody then! Kept it about two years then a tree jumped out into the road in front of me. I patched it back together until I found a green 340 Cuda. Nice! Sold it for $1600 cause gas went to 55 cents a gallon.

Then 64 Galaxy, 5 MG's, Ford pickup, BMW, Buick Regal, another Ford truck, 70 Corvette, 91 Firebird, 81 Corvette, 67 Corvette, another Ford truck, Explorer, Mountaineer, Sebring, another Ford truck and back to a 68 Barracuda coupe!

Out of all of those, I think the second gen. Barracudas are the coolest! I turned 61 in June.

My Dad got me started. He had a 59 imperiel, 66 imperiel, several 65 satelites, 4 68 300's, 65 Newport, 69 300 convertible and the 69 cuda convertible I re acquired and and presently restoring. I've owned 68 fury wagon, 65 new Yorker, 68 charger 70 charger, 69 dart back in the day. Now have a 69 dart conv (see avatar) and the 69 cuda conv. Why didn't I buy mopar stock? Sneakin up on 60.

40-60 seems the be the prime age group. Not unexpected.
I'll be 65 in a couple of months, and I remember well when MoPar REALLY meant something.

Well lets see, 1st car in late '70's when i was in high school was a 70 charger and car in the early 80's out of high school was a '71 charger.it's now 2014 so do the math LOL.

Yup,i fit somewhere in the 50-60 group...................

Also in the 51-60 group, but not by far O:)

First car,at 16 years old, was a 74 Duster bought at the original Manheim Auction. A family friend had a used car business and took my father and me. My dad let me walk around and pick it out. Paid $400 for it. 318 automatic...but it had a great paint job!

I was driving it in the mountains of PA when the temp gauge started rising, I headed home about 10 miles away. When I got home and turned off the key, the motor kept running! My dad stuck a broom handle into the fan to stop it. SOOOOOOO, the next day I found a rusted freeze plug...replaced it with one of those nifty rubber ones, filled it with water, and it started right up!!!!!! Drove it for a few years after.

My dad owned ONLY MOPARS. I took my driver's license test in my dad's Plymouth Sapporo!! The first car I remember was his '66 Barracuda and the reason I have two of them now. He owned a '74 or '75 Valiant Brougham that was built like a tank...he loved it. Also a Volare', New Yorker, Horizon, Scamp, and more!

WTF I'll get in on this.
I'm 73 now. Sure is neat to see the young guns here that still know a well engineered and in most cases "advanced engineered" ride.
Lets do it this way, in order of cars owned and why.
1. '49 chevy coupe that chucked a rod thru the block. (would never buy another one)
2. '50 Dodge coupe that I ran just as hard and sold two years later for the same money I paid for it. (sold me along with the fact my grandfather drove a '60 Polara with a cross ram 383, you know, a four barrel on each side of the engine on top of the exhaust manifold.)
3. '62 Dodge Lancer 225 3peed stick. new(could beat 283 chevy's constantly)
4. '64 Dart GT 225 4speed stick new(yes a 4 speed stick in a 6 cylinder, Google it)
5. '56 Dodge Royal Custom (bought it used for work so the new wife could drive the '64)
6. '69 Dart GT 318 4 speed new
7. '72 Charger 400 auto new
8. '71 Dodge Coronet Wagon used (work car that I played with, headers, hemi grind purple shaft, Holley on an Offenhauser)
9. '77 Ramcharger 440 auto new(got this one at "Dealer cost" thru a friend's brother that was manager of the tuck plant down in Detroit.)
10. '79 Horizon new
11. '79 TC3 new (traded the Ramcharger even up cause the dealer need 4X4s on the lot)
12. '70 HemiCuda used (Restoration Project in 1980) (Car in a barn, engine in a chicken coup and the carbs and intake in an outhouse)
13. '83 Lebaron 2.2L auto new
14. '86 Omni GLH Turbo 5 speed new
15. '87 Conquest 2.6L Turbo Intercooled Demo (Dealers wife's car for a year)
16. '89 Plymouth Voyager new (wifes car)
17. '93 Lebaron Convertible used
18. '97 Chrysler Sebring LSi Demo
19. '99 Dodge Dakota SLT 318 2 wheel drive used
20. '06 Mercury Montery mini van (How did that get in here?)(oh yea, it was a repo at 1/3 the sticker price with 2400 miles on it, couldn't resist)
21. '06 Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7L 2 wheel drive used
20. '09 Chrysler 300 Heritage used
21. '99 Dodge Dakota R/T used (Love them '99 Daks)
As long as I am boring you guys I would like to comment on something.
You have us old guys in a file called the "Elite".
I really do appreciate the respect, it is something not seen too often anymore.
Actually, there is nothing elite about us (or maybe I should just say me, but I doubt it), we are just a bunch of working class guys that found out early about the great products that became available to us at a lucky age. No different than the guys that have followed us by restoring and using those products. It is great fun for all of us and in choosing Chrysler products of interest that makes everyone of you guys "Elite" because you are a little bit smarter, more ambitious, and willing to spend a few more bucks on very fine cars, not those cars that are "like assh___s because everyone has one", you know what I am talking about,,,,,,,chevy,,,purposely spelled with a small "c".
Thanks for reading

61 years old here.... My uncle James taught me how to drive in a '60 Lancer with automatic when it was still less than 2 years old; I was 8 years old at the time. My dad would let me steer the car for long drives (100 miles or more) on his '64 Dodge 880 wagon and then a '66 Charger (boy, was that great for a 12 year old!). My mom spent hours with me honing my skills on her '69 Dart with my learner's permit, and I drove my dad's '67 Polara wagon to central WV that year too. Those were followed by '72 and '73 3-speed /6 Demons, and then a '76 Dart Lite that I took to around 250k miles.

Now that I have a '62 Dart, it is staying the original plain-jane 4dr, /6, 3-on-the-tree, so my son (now 31) can experience this great car as it was. He really likes it that way; we have raced together in rallies a lot so he has his speed fix in other ways; he appreciates the car as it was, not as a hot-rod.

-
Back