B Jackson 68 Barracuda 383-S

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
This topic amazes me in that it really generates some strong opinions on how other people spend their money! I own and personally work an aircraft restoration shop where we do the same kind of work to antique airplanes as what was done to the typical rotis restored Barret Jackson car. I can personally say that most of those purchasers have great passion for the vehicles they are buying but don't have the mechanical skills to do it themselves but certanly appreciate what it takes to do it right. And , or they have done the math as was demonstrated by someone else and know that it's cheaper to buy it done than to do it themselves and thankfully they do the math and determin that a particular vehicle is worth spending their money on or I wouldn't have a business. their is a huge difference between a nice car and a show car. I personally am glad to see the values come up as it does a couple things, yea the parts prices come up some but atleast now parts become available as it is worth making parts that I couldn't even dream of getting not so long ago, and it makes saving that rust bucket that would have ended up in the scraper, which in itself has brought prices up. At least now it makes investing in our toys a little easier. Carry on, build what you want the way you want it and let the investors help you along the way!

You make some good points!
I wish we lived closer...I could probably be of some help to ya if we did. I really like resto projects and getting paid for doing some real classy work is always nice. Most commercial or government jobs are not really too worried about perfection as much as function....I like both.
I have been working on anything mechanical ever since I could dismantle my Dad's mower and power tools...I did get them back together...usually! LOL
I have been working on aircraft since 1985 when I went in the Marines. I started out working as a flight line mech on CH-46's and then crewing and doing SAR. Since then I have mainly done major structures work on DC-9/MD-80's, DC-10/MD-11's, DC-8's, 707's, 727's, 737's, 747's, 757's, 767's, 777's, L-1011's, F-5's, F-14's, F/A-18's, King Air C-12's, C-130's, H-60's, and even worked on the major mod crew that built the S.O.F.I.A. B747SP for NASA. I currently build the wing tip pods for the new E/A-18G Growler.
EA-18G-1.jpg

Here's my 340 4speed Dart Swinger with our other two Mopar drivers:
3.jpg

P.S. Most people never even heard about the SOFIA program so here's a bit of info about it. We took a B747 Super Performance model (shorter fuselage with high power engines) and did a massive amount of mods to incorporate a huge door that opens on the aft upper side of the aircraft.. There are two sliding doors....one goes up and the other goes down. The doors open in flight to allow a massive telescope a view looking out into space, whatever direction they point it. Take a look at the website if you wanna read more about it. It is a giant flying infrared telescope. http://www.sofia.usra.edu/Science/schedule/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back