Back to the drawing board... stock low dollar 360

-
Using a DP on the street is a step backward from an AVS and a giant step back from a TQ
different learning curves on all three- run what you know best or figure the time to learn

The specific carb is a step backwards. I'm a firm believer that EFI has it's place, but it's not on old cars. That's just me because I consider the smells, the tuning and retuning, and the maintenance as all plusses to owning an old car.
But in this case - a DP of any size will require some very specific tuning to get as responsive and "right" as a vacuum secondary on this application. This is a mild engine. The extra squirter and power valve is overkill for what he has, and the low stall and low rpm use that it predominantly gets will be negatively affected too. So it's a lose-lose. I'll go out on a limb and say it will "feel faster", but the track times will show otherwise.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts. The only reason I'm giving the DP a whirl is from past experience. I've never had a vacuum secondary out perform a DP at the track on mild street cars. None so mild as this, though. I expect the DP to be a slight improvement, even on this "virtually" stone-stock 360 and 2.45's. Of course, the car will not always like what I try and rebel against some of my ideas …. LOL

If weather permits, we might find out next Saturday :)

Are you gonna do a cam change? I got a really nasty little NOS old school flat hydraulic Crane grind I'll probably never use.

Are you gonna do a cam change? I got a really nasty little NOS old school flat hydraulic Crane grind I'll probably never use.
have the specs? my cam is .427, 204* @50 on intake, and .454, 216* on exhaust, 112 centerline.
Key here is having a cam that works with the low compression, factory manifolds and converter, and the 2.45's

have the specs? my cam is .427, 204* @50 on intake, and .454, 216* on exhaust, 112 centerline.
Key here is having a cam that works with the low compression, factory manifolds and converter, and the 2.45's

Forget it. lol It will need headers and will be a dog with the 2.45.

What Rusty said
427/454 260/272@.004 204/216 112 LCA Crane 693901 1,500-4,500 H-260-2 aka HMV-260-2-NC oldie but goodie (similar to 256 @.006comp)
the long exhaust will extend rpm range and can do without headers- that's why the long exhaust (single pattern cam is deadly with stock heads and no headers)
but headers always really help SBM but keep them small and long or tri Y in this case
I think the single pattern Cam Dynamics my be the same or very similar intake lobe but is single pattern
.427 260 204 110LCA 260H10 Cam dynamics 15003 Ed Hamburger also sold this one headers would be mandatory to get any benefit- like the single pattern Edelbrock cam

It's on.... I did a little testing out of town.... :) … I firmly believe the E.T. has just been shaved !

DSCN1207.JPG

DSCN1208.JPG

From experience, if the DP is faster in a milder combo, the VS was not totally set up. Just my experience of course...

From experience, if the DP is faster in a milder combo, the VS was not totally set up. Just my experience of course...
Keep in mind, the same person tuned both VS and DP carbs (and the 600 eddy), me. Also, if the VS proves to be faster I'll bolt it back on in 2 minutes. It makes no difference to me other than I want to keep tuning the car faster.

Last edited:
Are you going to tell the Duster before or after you run it, that it is supposed to be slower.
Who does that car think it is, running in the hi 13s with a 2.45 gear?

I think you're smoking dope if you're going to get that car into the twelves by changing the carburetor.

Are you going to tell the Duster before or after you run it, that it is supposed to be slower.
Who does that car think it is, running in the hi 13s with a 2.45 gear?
LOL... your post reminded me of this.....

I think you're smoking dope if you're going to get that car into the twelves by changing the carburetor.
LOL.... Never said this carb was putting me in the 12's. :D Read post 4 , middle line.....
As fast as I can ... :D
I would like to go 12's .... that is my next goal looking into next year.
I will have to get there a tenth or two at a time. So far I've been lucky, the car has liked everything I've done to it so far. Eventually, it will rebel against an idea or two ... LOL :D

So far by changing the carburetor it looks like you're on the right track.. bahahaha...
Not nice you laugh'n… you see, my mule don't like people laugh'n. Get's the crazy idea they're laugh'n at him...… Now if you'll apologize … :D

I mean let's face it really how much horsepower do you think you're going to squeak out of that motor and transmission slip? I mean really give yourself an extra 20 horsepower of top of what you think and do the calculation of the math in the weight and you'll get????
At some point that car is going to have to stick and move.

I'm going to say this is quietly as I can imagine just a whisper of a sound----------355 sure grip----sshhhhhh.....

I mean let's face it really how much horsepower do you think you're going to squeak out of that motor and transmission slip? I mean really give yourself an extra 20 horsepower of top of what you think and do the calculation of the math in the weight and you'll get????
At some point that car is going to have to stick and move.
I am going to go to 2.94's because I like them better on our single highways than the 2.45's. especially with the 15" tires. right now I'm not sure at speeds below 55 if i'm engaging the converter.....

That's one like And1 disagree on the gears. That may change...
The 410's I have along with the stroker is stupid for the street. I'm going the other way I think I can get 355's on this spool.
3k @55 should go down to 2500 @55.

Anyways with these lofty goals you have to have some weight losses in mind and I mean some major ones?

-
Back