Back to the drawing board... stock low dollar 360

-
What I wanted was 16* advancement with the plate, and I used one light/one medium spring looking to have full advancement at 2400 rpm's. I'll have to take it apart and see what went wrong....
For bouncing timing: Check the vacuum advance plate, that's what anchors the advance plate at zero. Stretched timing chain and worn gears. You may also have a worn intermediate shaft gear and or bushing. I've also found the slot in the intermediate to wide, you can pean the end of the distributor shaft to widen it for a snug fit. Last thing is distributor shaft bushings worn. You can blue print the reluctor by filing them to have the same gap on all eight. Rotor phasing is also important. You can make an extended rotor tip with brass stock from Ace hardware also. Use a quality brass cap and ditch the old one if it's aluminum. An MSD box does not cause fluctuating timing.

For bouncing timing: Check the vacuum advance plate, that's what anchors the advance plate at zero. Stretched timing chain and worn gears. You may also have a worn intermediate shaft gear and or bushing. I've also found the slot in the intermediate to wide, you can pean the end of the distributor shaft to widen it for a snug fit. Last thing is distributor shaft bushings worn. You can blue print the reluctor by filing them to have the same gap on all eight. Rotor phasing is also important. You can make an extended rotor tip with brass stock from Ace hardware also. Use a quality brass cap and ditch the old one if it's aluminum. An MSD box does not cause fluctuating timing.
vacuum advance plate could be suspect. Timing works perfect with the other distributor. swapped to this one, and it acted up. swapped back, and perfect again. definitely the problem is in the dizzy I put the plate/springs in.

vacuum advance plate could be suspect. Timing works perfect with the other distributor. swapped to this one, and it acted up. swapped back, and perfect again. definitely the problem is in the dizzy I put the plate/springs in.
Updates?
Or are you just enjoying the cold and snow?

What I wanted was 16* advancement with the plate, and I used one light/one medium spring looking to have full advancement at 2400 rpm's. I'll have to take it apart and see what went wrong....
My 360 is set up exactly 16*in the plate 20* initial. I got greedy with the springs. It ran ok with the medium blue springs. I then did a light gray spring 1 blue spring it ran a lot better. Then I went with both light springs and I think I lost some of the seat of the pants pull. Probably go back to 1 medium and one light. No vacuum advance...total 36*. I tried the vacuum advance, I’m not good enough at tuning to have it function properly so I run without it.

Updates?
Loving the cold and snow.... :D ..... going to get snow tonight. BUT...… staying out of the cold doesn't mean I haven't been busy. Still working through the planning, still undecided. So, to be honest, let's just say I have some car stuff in my house that I've been working on. Hope to give some updates as things unfold.

Updates?
Now that the snow and cold are gone (my cold is still in my head, though.. :D ), Looks like this Duster's plan will be altered a little because of the race with Jaba. I was going to tweak it to 12's, staying away from headers and any more gear than 2.94's. Well, I bought Doug headers, and the gears I have are 3.23's. It's still going to go 12's, it will just get there a little quicker and not quite as much thinking. Still, it will be a nice cruiser :)

45 is short sleeve weather in the spring. the low angle of the sun makes you feel nice and toasty.
I'm starting my tan. lol

Now that the snow and cold are gone (my cold is still in my head, though.. :D ), Looks like this Duster's plan will be altered a little because of the race with Jaba. I was going to tweak it to 12's, staying away from headers and any more gear than 2.94's. Well, I bought Doug headers, and the gears I have are 3.23's. It's still going to go 12's, it will just get there a little quicker and not quite as much thinking. Still, it will be a nice cruiser :)
Standard low comp La 360 ? nice ! a low buck 12 sec street car. I'm sure next winter you will be planning to dip into the 11's. don't laugh or deny, I know what your thinking before you think it. lol

Standard low comp La 360 ? nice ! a low buck 12 sec street car. I'm sure next winter you will be planning to dip into the 11's. don't laugh or deny, I know what your thinking before you think it. lol
yeah, has the dished pistons and all.... LOL. I will tweak with it as long as I own it, and if that puts it in the 10's, so be it! :D I just don't want to give up the street ability I enjoy now.

Of course I have to watch this topic. I am getting ready for a low buck 360 build. Definitely interested in the parts list as I am going to need a few.

Of course I have to watch this topic. I am getting ready for a low buck 360 build. Definitely interested in the parts list as I am going to need a few.

Hopefully, you can watch it "up close and personal" ….. meaning meet me/us at Cordova
:thumbsup:

I'll get my cheapo 360 build to the track soon. It will on my be 1/8 mile til near the end of summer. I'm thinking mid to low 14s.

that's keeping the expectations low.... your guaranteed to not be disappointed :)

Not sure where Cordova is, But if possible, would love to watch... Better yet, participate. But that's a whole different story. The more I dig, the more I am finding wrong at the moment.... I will get her done, just gotta keep digging, and keep scratching.

-
Back