Backfire turned bad day

-
My point was exactly the opposite.

It was that no one, no matter their lever of expertise or experience can possibly know what's wrong with a car over the internet. It's impossible. If I, you or anyone else "gets it right" it's merely a lucky guess.

Sorry you see everything so negatively that you're ready to try to start a fight with insults.

His shot isn't all torn to hell, but wasn't the original question why it wasn't starting and just popping through exhaust? Pretty easy to suggest a compression test. Bout the first thing ANYONE would do! Still dont explain why it doesn't start though does it? All these engines you build and all the stuff you do, how do you have time to be on here running your mouth about how stupid every one else is on EVERY SINGLE thread and how no one else's stuff is worth a shot and you know EVERYTHING? Seems pretty childish and arrogant to a bunch of guys just looking to share ideas and info!

Well golly jeepers Beave, whaddya know?

One of these days, all you guys who argue with me about simple diagnosis will learn that is the right way to do it. This guy listened and how bout that? His **** isn't torn all to hell either. I didn't spend 40 plus years in the field to be somebody's forum *****.

What are you yammering about.....???

Wasn't meant to be an insult, just an observed fact. Not starting a fight with insults. Tired of trying to gather info from other people's experiences,good and bad, or offer ideas when I can. Not tell everybody they built EVERYTHING wrong, they don't know anything about cars, they can't tune or diagnose anything. Don't need to come off so arrogant like you've got the answer to every problem to every thread all day every day

Wasn't meant to be an insult, just an observed fact. Not starting a fight with insults. Tired of trying to gather info from other people's experiences,good and bad, or offer ideas when I can. Not tell everybody they built EVERYTHING wrong, they don't know anything about cars, they can't tune or diagnose anything. Don't need to come off so arrogant like you've got the answer to every problem to every thread all day every day

That's hardly true. But obviously you think differently.

I'm very interested to know what happened with this engine.

I didn't spend forty years working on cars, I spent thirty years as a tin knocker that specialized in welding. I spent most of my money on **** that goes fast. The last fast ride I had was on two wheels, 340rwhp / 550lbs.. Hayabusa. A lot of expensive go fast ****... Including the trick **** I built for it..

I love it!

I suspect the problem won't be found for a little while yet.

Let us know brother.

Last edited:
lifters not pumped up when compression test was done on Thursday . disconnect rev limiter, is distrib. clamp tight? how are oil pump/distrib gears?

Well one entire side is down 10%. Was it put together that way?
I mean I've never played with N2O; is it possible to burn 4 valves on one side only, in such a short period of time?I mean less than 8 seconds or so? Maybe less that 2.
I can imagine even just one intake lifter pumping up and fire backing up into the plenum.I might as well imagine 4 doing it.
Besides it's just a guess, and I said so.
Popping in the exhaust, I have seen before. Once with a jumped timing chain, and many times with flooded engines. And once on an engine that someone had purposefully tried to grenade, by propping the gas pedal to the floor.After it wouldn't blow, some brave sole jumped in and shut it off. When I got it, popping is all I got. With the heads off, the witness marks were on every piston crown. I bolted on a spare set of heads and away she went. Later, I took the heads apart and every intake was bent.
So...........I would be doing an LD test to prove the valves are leaking, probably followed by pulling at least one head, and then,if the valves are bent. I would be trying to figure out how and why,such a thing could happen.It's been my limited experience that intakes get bent first, but popping in the exhaust seems to indicate the exhausts are not closing.
And again, this is all pure conjecture.

Last edited:
Oh how I miss these posts!
(Sarcasm!!!!! )

Dang, just wrote the same post twice!

Look, we are not not these dang cars! Some more than others and some tremors greasy than others.
Bottom line, were all tryouts my to help.
If ya missed it, no worries, there's loads of issues to help out on. Just move along. Just move along.

Look, we are not not these dang cars! Some more than others and some tremors greasy than others.
Uh, what? :poke:

My buddy just bought an old Mustang. I went over to see it and it wouldn't start. It was running great many times before I came over. He was ready to tear it apart looking for a failed part. The gas gauge was showing half a tank. Not sure if it was accurate or not, we first put some gas in it and it started. I was trying to make a point of keeping it down to the basics because we often overlook them, but really I was just trying to be funny. Sorry.

Last edited:
I just find it funny that whenever I make the recommendation to someone that they work on their diagnostic skills I am called arrogant.

It's not funny.......it's down right hilarious. People don't give a **** about learning anything. They want the answer handed to them on a silver platter. It took me years to learn proper diagnostic skills. There is a procedure for everything.

But rather than LEARN something that they can use the REST of their lives, people just want the answer RIGHT NOW and don't care one iota how that answer was formulated.

It's like the age old saying you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day or teach him to fish and he can feed himself the rest of his life.

Some people cannot see past their own noses.

Yes on the learning part. But not everyone wants to and one can fuss all day long, and it won't change a thing; people will only learn when they are ready to. It does better just to say "OBTW, have you thought of this?"

Oh how I miss these posts!
(Sarcasm!!!!! )

Dang, just wrote the same post twice!

If ya missed it, no worries, there's loads of issues to help out on. Just move along. Just move along.

Too much SouthernComfort?
OBTW;The night is for sleeping.
LOL

Yes on the learning part. But not everyone wants to and one can fuss all day long, and it won't change a thing; people will only learn when they are ready to. It does better just to say "OBTW, have you thought of this?"

I agree, but then, when someone buys a fifty year old car, they should be willing to learn to work on it.

blown head gasket is what I'm thinking.

battery going weak can cause a change in compression test. Cranking speed alone can result in the changes noted. I would have skipped right past the compression tester and grabbed the leak down tester. Often if compression in a cylinder is lost for a mechanical reason, and is significant, you can actually hear it in the cranking speed of the engine. That said, I totally agree that we've witnessed a premature tear down.

De-sided to pull the block and put new rings and bearings and get the heads checked I have been racing it for 2 years anyway

personally I would also check the connecting rods for straightness also .

-
Back