backup light switch.

-

1970Dart340Swinger

Reaction score
Backup light switch and operating lever are missing. I found a switch online for $120 but doesn't make sense to buy it without the operating lever. Can't find a lever anywhere. Even if I found a lever, I wonder if it will install?(65 Dart)
Since it is an auto trans I don't see how I can install a switch anywhere else.
Any thoughts?

Do you have a column shift or floor shift? Makes all the difference of what switch you’re looking for.

Yup, column shift switch is mounted under the dash on top of steering column tube. The floor shift switch is under the consolette and mounted on a floor/shifter bracket. The column switch lever is a common part to break and hard to find separately. It usually breaks when the switch jams, either from lack of lube or a mechanical failure.

Yup, column shift switch is mounted under the dash on top of steering column tube. The floor shift switch is under the consolette and mounted on a floor/shifter bracket. The column switch lever is a common part to break and hard to find separately. It usually breaks when the switch jams, either from lack of lube or a mechanical failure.
Column shift-- light needed to pass inspection. Any ideas on how/where to install a universal switch?

Column shift-- Light needed to pass inspection. Any ideas on how/where to install a universal switch? Inspection won't accept a manual switch.

There are lots of ways to go about that, depending on "how good" a parts guy you have. One switch that comes to mind is the old Mopar clutch switch, although I don't remember it may work the wrong way...in other words it may be normally closed (when at rest) and you'd need "normally open." In the world there are literally thousands of various types of spring return switches, Microswitch is a brand name that make many. You could build a bracket that allows a switch to be activated off the linkage there on the engine bay side of the firewall.

Ever screwed with magnetic reed switches? Fasten a magnet to the linkage, built a bracket for a reed switch

Another approach you might use---you sure at this car's age that "inspection" might not have a few exceptions for old cars? After all you cannot exactly get parts at the dealer.............

Last it is just not that difficult to remove the column from the vehicle. Maybe you can rework "what's there"

Interesting. Not all '65 Darts had backup lights. I wonder what they would do with someone with a 170 that never had them.

i did safety inspections for SC back when this state had them. The law reads, Any light installed has to work. That includes a high mount brake lamp you added yourself. Only way around this law is remove the reverse lamps.
The plastic pin sticking out of the shift tube has been replaced with a bolt in other threads here. I think the column will have to come out to do it. The rare earth magnetic things were glued onto the shift collar in a thread here also. I think that was a much later model but same concept and solution. He did reverse lamp circuit and neutral safety circuit with them.

I'm new to your forum. Can you help me find the thread where someone talked about using a magnetic switch. That makes sense to me and I'm sure I could design one, but I don't see a logical place to mount it with the column shift automatic.
I really appreciate everyone's comments

Interesting. Not all '65 Darts had backup lights. I wonder what they would do with someone with a 170 that never had them.
Yep, a option back then on the cheap models.

To the OP - i believe I have a B/U switch for a 65; i will look today

Hey Guys-

Beau here from Australia - our Australia produced 1964 Valiant used the same switch and "operating lever" it has been a common problem to get your hands on a lever so we have have them re-made by hand down here in OZ!
View attachment 1715730150
I work for Hemi Performance, the link for the item is here:

Backup / Reverse Lamp Switch Actuator Clip Lever : Suit 1967 1968 1969 1970 A - B and C Body Chrysler Dodge Plymouth : Automotive Transmission and Column Shift

Our website will calculate the postage for you.

Cheers
Welcome to FABO. You can't sell parts and products in general forums. You will need to start a sale thread to do it properly.

I'm new to your forum. Can you help me find the thread where someone talked about using a magnetic switch. That makes sense to me and I'm sure I could design one, but I don't see a logical place to mount it with the column shift automatic.
I really appreciate everyone's comments

Your car's switch might be more like the ones ysed up 'til March '68.
You can see in this snip from the service manual how a screw can work as a subsitute.
upload_2019-5-11_10-58-26-png.png

The pin (aka operating lever) is made of two parts. @Dana67Dart discovered the prongs are expanded by pushing the smaller rod down once the pin is in position.
upload_2021-4-28_19-11-31.png

-
Back