barbell lifters

-

aaronk785

Reaction score
Anyone here use the barbell type solid lifters with the huge oil band in a 340? I can get a set really cheap.

Nope. If you have much over .500 lift it will uncover the gallery. Start getting up around .575 lift and the band will be damn near the top of the lifter bore.

My next question. I have some solid lifters that are one chunk of machined metal they weight 122 grams.are these to heavy to turn 7000 rpm? I weighed some old comps cam solids and they only weighed 96 grams.

My next question. I have some solid lifters that are one chunk of machined metal they weight 122 grams.are these to heavy to turn 7000 rpm? I weighed some old comps cam solids and they only weighed 96 grams.

Mine weight about 110. Can you weigh one of your barbell lifters? Now that I said 110 I'm questioning myself.

Seems to me that the lifters I'm running now are 5-6 grams lighter than the barbells.

I worry way more about valve weight than lifter weight.

These have no oil band just solid the whole body length. I'm sure the barbells are much lighter. I don't have the barbells but can buy them cheap. But sounds like they wont work with my .555 lift cam.

Weigh the barbells. IIRC they're not as light as the look for some reason.

I will admit I weighed them in 2013ish and my memory ain't what it should be.

D/Darts used the barbell lifters and they spun them up to 6900-7000 range. They also had lifts in the .500" area. With that in mind, the previous owner of my first D/Dart had to change 4 of the barbells due to breakage. Those 4 were replaced with solid ones, so the engine had 12 barbells and 4 solids in it.

I do not have the barbell lifters. What I do have is 16 lifters with no oil band. I weighed one and it was 122 grams. So I just weighed the rest. Guess what. 12 weigh 88 grams and 4 weigh 122 grams. I'm going to buy 4 comp lifters that weight 96 grams and the same plunger depth. So I take it 12 are hollow like james said. Just don't like the 122 grams.

I know a guy who builds some pretty decent Mopar dirt track engines and he always uses the barbell lifters. Never mentioned any problems with exposing the oil band but I'll toss this at him and see what he sez.

He likes the barbells for the lighter weight, too. I guess I never weighed any of the lifters I've used....

With valves being roughly at the 100 gram range, and moving 1.5 times faster, the valves are going need over 2x the energy to move at a given speed than 100 gram lifters. It all adds up, but changes in lifter (or pushrod) weight are going to change the max RPM a lot less than the same weight on the valve side.

I know a guy who builds some pretty decent Mopar dirt track engines and he always uses the barbell lifters. Never mentioned any problems with exposing the oil band but I'll toss this at him and see what he sez.

He likes the barbells for the lighter weight, too. I guess I never weighed any of the lifters I've used....

They don't weigh less and if you run a cam with any lift, you will uncover the band.

if you look at a 273 block, vs a 340/360 block. the window in bores is larger in the 340/360. the 273 window is shorter. just food for though, been there , tried it.

Nope. If you have much over .500 lift it will uncover the gallery. Start getting up around .575 lift and the band will be damn near the top of the lifter bore.

How bout with .435 lift in a 331 Hemi?

IDK rusty I've never checked an early hemi. They may be fine. Pefacar may have a better idea.

I know the early Hemi blocks are VERY close in size and shape as the LA engines. They a few of the same pieces.

I'm pretty sure I run Barrel lifters and I know I'm a little over 600 lift.

They don't weigh less and if you run a cam with any lift, you will uncover the band.
On a Mopar cam, aren't the lobe lifts pretty much capped by the bearing bores? Its the base circle that drops, so the lift on a .600 bar-bell is going to look like the lift on a .455 stocker at the lifters topmost travel. Your not going to expose the band on the top/lift cycle, it will be the bottom/closed cycle. You can't get that tall a lobe past the bearing journal to expose the band out the top.

On a Mopar cam, aren't the lobe lifts pretty much capped by the bearing bores? Its the base circle that drops, so the lift on a .600 bar-bell is going to look like the lift on a .455 stocker at the lifters topmost travel. Your not going to expose the band on the top/lift cycle, it will be the bottom/closed cycle. You can't get that tall a lobe past the bearing journal to expose the band out the top.

I got to say all I know about it is that it's called a barrel lifter and that's where my knowledge completely ends, but what you're saying makes complete sense. I had my 488 purple performance cam ground into a 575 lift which increased to a like 603 lift with the 1.6 to 1 rockers. Something else that wouldn't be affected by the lifters.

-
Back