Barn find 72 340 duster

-
Its a great article except for the black and white photos, all color would have been ideal. Its been a key resource for my resto, and helps in locating inspection marks.

Dave, I'd give you mine but I sleep with it under my pillow every night! LOL

Wow, it has been awhile since I have made a post. Doing some thing but not worthy of photo documentation. House payment, work, overtime, all play into this long process. i have been working on the repair of my sharktooth grille over the last couple of months and I have made some progress that can be shared for other member to try if they are in need of grille repairs. I can't and won't take credit for this process. I read about it somewhere on Moparts and thought i would try it and see how it worked. if anyone reading this thread knows the person who posted this process on moparts, please give him all the credit. In the following pictures you will see how I did this. Took an old mason jar and filled it half way with acetone. took shaving from an old parts grille and put into the jar. the acetone melted the pieces to form a thick glue made of the same type of plastic that the grilles are made of. it took about three days to get the consistency I was looking for. A thick paste that you could work and would allow two or three minutes to work with it before it set up.

Attachments

• sharktooth grille repair 029.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 679
  • sharktooth grille repair 030.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 695
  • sharktooth grille repair 032.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 689
  • sharktooth grille repair 034.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 674
  • sharktooth grille repair 036.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 667
  • sharktooth grille repair 046.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 676
  • sharktooth grille repair 048.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 696
  • sharktooth grille repair 049.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 657
  • sharktooth grille repair 051.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 684
the repaired area looks rough and is but it is super strong and firm as the grille itself. It will take hours of sanding from here to smooth the visible areas before primer. the tabs are always the broken areas of these grilles and the most difficult area to repair. The only thing going for me is the hours of sanding will be a little easier because the chrome trim will cover part of the repair. The repair is very strong and the results are very good. also use a Popsicle stick to fill and strengthen all the hairline cracks on the face of the grille.

If you are in need of a passenger side inner fender with the indent (72+) I have an NOS inner fender I'd be willing to trade for a new AMD one since my 70 swinger doesn't have the indent and I want the proper one. I have pics of it on my resto thread.

Nice car BTW! Lookin good so far!

Wow, that is an outstanding way to repair the grille. Hmm...I wonder if a little fiber glass sprinkles mixed in would help with the strength even though it looks as strong as new.

Wow, it has been awhile since I have made a post. Doing some thing but not worthy of photo documentation. House payment, work, overtime, all play into this long process. i have been working on the repair of my sharktooth grille over the last couple of months and I have made some progress that can be shared for other member to try if they are in need of grille repairs. I can't and won't take credit for this process. I read about it somewhere on Moparts and thought i would try it and see how it worked. if anyone reading this thread knows the person who posted this process on moparts, please give him all the credit. In the following pictures you will see how I did this. Took an old mason jar and filled it half way with acetone. took shaving from an old parts grille and put into the jar. the acetone melted the pieces to form a thick glue made of the same type of plastic that the grilles are made of. it took about three days to get the consistency I was looking for. A thick paste that you could work and would allow two or three minutes to work with it before it set up.

Nice post.! Thank you

Wow, that is an outstanding way to repair the grille. Hmm...I wonder if a little fiber glass sprinkles mixed in would help with the strength even though it looks as strong as new.

I was glad to see that after about twenty minutes you could bend the repaired tab and the grille would flex a few inches down from the repair. very strong. I think you could use some fiberglass, but this way after you sand and prime the repair will be invisable

I've read this entire post, impressive and as a new member I would like to say the input from you and the other members have made this more enjoyable then any book I've read, all i can say is :wav:

I've read this entire post, impressive and as a new member I would like to say the input from you and the other members have made this more enjoyable then any book I've read, all i can say is :wav:
Kind words. I have been doing this for thirty five years and not a day goes by that someone on this forum shows me a better way to do somthing. I sure hope that I might do the same for members also...

Kind words. I have been doing this for thirty five years and not a day goes by that someone on this forum shows me a better way to do somthing. I sure hope that I might do the same for members also...

You sure has Tim! It's inspiring to see other working on their cars. Gives you new ideas of ways or new plans. I really enjoy your thread.:happy1:

Really enjoy the progress reports,
keep up the good work!

Tim! That is a world wide problem........ I wonder what the solution is?

It's like the old saying " if I have to explain why we do it,you wouldn't understand" We do car restorations for lots of reasons, to make money is very far down on the list for most of us.

Anyone that thinks they car restore car correctly and sell it at a profit is either very mistaken or going to cut every corner they can and not do it correctly. Project cars are selling for way to much now a days and parts are just as bad. Do it for your love of cars not for the love on profit.

Either that or open a resto shop and charge people to do their cars.

-
Back