Basic 318 Mods

-
I'm going to look over it the best I can, no one is going to let someone disassemble their car to check it out. Furthermore I don't believe that the owner would even let a perfessionl take his car off his property for a full inspection. Carry on
have you never heard of a PPI?

if you're dropping 20K it behooves you greatly to have "professionals" check it out. yeah, if you're buying some project or like a 6K roller or whatever, sure take your car buddy that always keeps a gun in his boot with you for another set of eyes and to BS with the owner while you writhe around under the car with a flash light.

but any more than that? i'm coming with a fine toothed comb.

have you never heard of a PPI?

if you're dropping 20K it behooves you greatly to have "professionals" check it out. yeah, if you're buying some project or like a 6K roller or whatever, sure take your car buddy that always keeps a gun in his boot with you for another set of eyes and to BS with the owner while you writhe around under the car with a flash light.

but any more than that? i'm coming with a fine toothed comb.
I've never heard of PPI

Read, read read. Take a car a to a reputable shop. That is not disassembly to put on rack and inspect. Having a car inspected by a shop of qualified mechanics is not disassembly.
Shows what you know right there to state it is. Don't be silly, and make more excuses.
Done Dan since your not getting a car anyway.
Talked to a guy who had a car that I was interested in and he wouldn't let the car leave his property for any form of inspection without a non refundable deposit and I'm not going to do that. You have no idea when I'm going to get me a car but you'll be the first to know how's that

Talked to a guy who had a car that I was interested in and he wouldn't let the car leave his property for any form of inspection without a non refundable deposit and I'm not going to do that. You have no idea when I'm going to get me a car but you'll be the first to know how's that
Red flag right there, if someone won't allow you to inspect their car before dropping a non refundable deposit, run.

I'm glad I don't deal in high end cars.... lol. If I sell, the buyer will look at the car right here. I have a set of ramps and a rug he can lay on if he wants to go a creepin' with a buddy and feels he can't see enough from his hands and knees. Test drive will occur if the buyer is serious, and I'll go with if I think it's necessary. My car, I set the rules :)

Red flag right there, if someone won't allow you to inspect their car before dropping a non refundable deposit, run.
I could've inspected it, it's that he wouldn't let the car go to a shop without a non refundable deposit and like you said I ran.

I could've inspected it, it's that he wouldn't let the car go to a shop without a non refundable deposit and like you said I ran.
I don’t blame the guy for not letting it go to some unknown shop. Or one he isn’t comfortable taking the car to himself when the need arises.

I had a ‘79 Cordoba years back that at the time was an 11 year old cream puff. Everything worked as it should. It was up for sale for 2K. A prospective buyer wanted a guy to look at it. I said sure and I dropped it off.

He called back a day later saying no thanks you better talk to the mechanic!

I get to the shop and the mechanic there say’s I have something to show you. The first item was a leaking main seal that never left a drop behind. No big deal IMO.

However the next item was a rotted passenger rear K frame mount that the ISO suspension was known for. THAT scared the guy away.

The fix? A whopping $2, .060 metal plate cut to size and welded on both sides after rust removal. It just to a minute to loosen the K frame bolts to drop the K frame.

Job done before lunch. The mechanic said he do the job for a $100. (IIRC) This was 1989/90. The rear main he wouldn’t touch.

The thing here is the prospective buyer got scared over spending $2, loosening & then later tightening up 4 K frame bolts, scrubbing dust and welding sheet metal.

Or he has zero for skills……..

I don’t blame the guy for not letting it go to some unknown shop. Or one he isn’t comfortable taking the car to himself when the need arises.

I had a ‘79 Cordoba years back that at the time was an 11 year old cream puff. Everything worked as it should. It was up for sale for 2K. A prospective buyer wanted a guy to look at it. I said sure and I dropped it off.

He called back a day later saying no thanks you better talk to the mechanic!

I get to the shop and the mechanic there say’s I have something to show you. The first item was a leaking main seal that never left a drop behind. No big deal IMO.

However the next item was a rotted passenger rear K frame mount that the ISO suspension was known for. THAT scared the guy away.

The fix? A whopping $2, .060 metal plate cut to size and welded on both sides after rust removal. It just to a minute to loosen the K frame bolts to drop the K frame.

Job done before lunch. The mechanic said he do the job for a $100. (IIRC) This was 1989/90. The rear main he wouldn’t touch.

The thing here is the prospective buyer got scared over spending $2, loosening & then later tightening up 4 K frame bolts, scrubbing dust and welding sheet metal.

Or he has zero for skills……..
I don't blame the guy either for not wanting his car to be out of his sight, I'm glad that you agreed we what I was talking about. I wouldn't want my car to leave my sight either

I don't blame the guy either for not wanting his car to be out of his sight, I'm glad that you agreed we what I was talking about. I wouldn't want my car to leave my sight either

Well, for me, it was a catch 22 since the mechanic found the rotted O frame area which is invisible to see and impossible to catch unless you do the work to find it specifically. This was something I didn’t know about.

I don’t know what he said to the perspective buyer but the buyer ran like hell on a simple rust repair fix. When I said the mechanic did t want to touch the rear main seal, I should have been more upfront and spelled it out because he would have done the job, but I wasn’t paying the insane price of the $800 asking price to do the job.

Seriously…. $800 bucks? (1996) Ahhhhh, NO!

I figured the guy didn’t know how to work in a car and/or weld and the mechanic did t want to work on the car on the prices he was asking.

As far as I’m concerned, the mechanic screwed me out of the sale & himself out of an easy job.

Again, the rear main never dripped on the floor. And IMO - I call BS.

Well, for me, it was a catch 22 since the mechanic found the rotted O frame area which is invisible to see and impossible to catch unless you do the work to find it specifically. This was something I didn’t know about.

I don’t know what he said to the perspective buyer but the buyer ran like hell on a simple rust repair fix. When I said the mechanic did t want to touch the rear main seal, I should have been more upfront and spelled it out because he would have done the job, but I wasn’t paying the insane price of the $800 asking price to do the job.

Seriously…. $800 bucks? (1996) Ahhhhh, NO!

I figured the guy didn’t know how to work in a car and/or weld and the mechanic did t want to work on the car on the prices he was asking.

As far as I’m concerned, the mechanic screwed me out of the sale & himself out of an easy job.

Again, the rear main never dripped on the floor. And IMO - I call BS.
I think that the mechanic cost you the sale of the car. I can't weld but my son in law and a good friend of mine can

I think that the mechanic cost you the sale of the car. I can't weld but my son in law and a good friend of mine can
I said that and that’s my point Dan. While I see both sides of this, I’m more on the side of the car owner. Not your side so much, though I understand. To be honest, the way you are approaching this, I think there isn’t a car out there for you because you expect everything for nothing and cheap as **** kind of attitude.

I said that and that’s my point Dan. While I see both sides of this, I’m more on the side of the car owner. Not your side so much, though I understand. To be honest, the way you are approaching this, I think there isn’t a car out there for you because you expect everything for nothing and cheap as **** kind of attitude.
I don't expect anything for nothing and I don't think that $22,000 - $25,000 is a cheap as **** attitude, but you might.

As far as the owner of the car goes, I may not have made myself clear on this one but I too agree with the car owner. I was simply trying to tell a couple of guys on here that having a car inspected isn't as simple as they might think

I don't expect anything for nothing and I don't think that $22,000 - $25,000 is a cheap as **** attitude, but you might.
It’s the way you come off Dan, not what your actually spending, not what I think about the amount, just the attitude.

Dan, just like wine, a burger, fish or veggie, if they don’t like it they can kiss your ***.

That’s my attitude and that’s where I stand. If I’m not someone’s cuppa tea then that’s just the way it is. I’m not changing my flavor. There’s another flavor on the shelf, move along, move along…..

Been kinda quiet on here, guess the guys are having dinner or going to bed. Me, I'll be up for a spell yet.

-
Back