Basic ignition

-

Retroboy

Reaction score
Howdy. I have a SBM on methanol. It's a mild mechanical injection and Vertex mag engine. It's a pig to start. I figure the mag isn't making a whole lot of spark on cranking so figure I'm going to try a conventional ignition. I'm not interested in trick of the week stuff rather simple easy old fashioned stuff. I have a MSD6a box and a mate with an early 1970's dist. Assuming the distributor is sound will this be OK with the MSD unit? What do you gap plugs at for an MSD on methanol?
Cheers

For the msd you might want a non points distributor. Early 70's sounds like it would be electronic which is what you need.Plug gap,no clue...stock mopar ignition and or davis unified ignition would be my choices.

plug gap will depend on you compression ration. the higher it is the tighter the gap. stock to .040" should get you started. remember that with methanol you DO NOT read the plugs like gasoline. NGK in a bps9 should be a good plug for you. look up mike canter's " reading plugs in an alcohol motor".

Thanks blokes. It's a magnetic dist so will be OK with the MSD - great. Do these use a Bosch transformer type coil or an old fashioned oil filled coil? Sorry for such basic questions but I'll still in the learning stages with Chrysler and there is lots different to Henry Ford and the guys around at the Generals Store.
Tell ya another thing for free .. I haven't been near a dist or carb for years and I'm glad I went to mechanical injection and Mag (well if it would start better) for pure simplicity sake.
Cheers

Just saying to someone the older I get the grumpier I seem to be becoming. But really it's not me it's that things aren't how they're described.
Cheers

Last edited:
Just saying to someone the older I get the grumpier I seem to be becoming. But really it's not me it's that things aren't how they're described.
Cheers
And often not nearly the quality you are actually paying for. I see the main problem started as offshoring of manufacturing. An investor created problem. Your still paying more than a given item is worth,and not getting the durability that North American manufacturing tended to give things.I mean really,building something under the same trademark name but under far inferior conditions is quite fraudulent behaviour. I become very angry with the cheapness of any given items quality these days,and it's the main reason why when our house furnace finally gave out after 60 years of service that I insisted on a made in America Armstrong furnace. Yes I paid lots,but it's at least one thing I dont have to worry about replacing yet again in the next few years. So this is how I shop these days. I tend to take it to extreme measures and will even take a well used North American item over a brand new made in China one.

Lol,sorry.Rant over.

ya might need to put a priming system on the motor so it starts right away.
gas to start it. try it by just dumping a little down the carb. you ignition with light it. When you have proved it fixed you hard start.
Then as bOb said, build a priming system for cold starting.

I know nothing about alcohol engines, except that they need a lot more compression than gas engines, and they need plenty of amps to run the ignition.
This is where I think the CDI might fail you. The multi-spark feature drops out around 3000 rpm,and then you will be running same as or similar to, any other kettering ignition.
Ima thinking your mag needs checking out, and if fully functioning,you might try a new starting technique, as mentioned above. I see guys squirting fuel down the carb all the time.

-
Back