Battery/Alternator Kill Switch location

-

68 Notch Back

Reaction score
I have a 68 Barracuda that I am building for a mild bracket drag car. I am looking for a decent place to mount the require kill switch. I thought about running the wires through the sheet metal between the trunk lid and bumper, and building a bracket to mount on the bumper but that would be a little tight. I also was looking at drilling a hole the rear portion of the drivers side quarter panel and just have it on the side of the car.

I would appreciate any suggestions and pics would be great.

Thanks in advance.

As I recall, it has to be on the rear.

I mounted an optima in the trunk, on the passenger side,just aft of the wheelhouse. Right behind it I mounted the kill switch with a remote link-rod, that passes through the rear sheet metal, just below the taillight, and is sealed with a grommet. IMHO, this is about as slick as it gets.On raceday, hang a flag off it. My switch has been on there since about 2004, and still works like new.
You need a 2 circuit switch. The primary, high-current sw kills everything except the alternator. The secondary switch kills that. If you are stuck with a single circuit switch, you can still kill the alternator , but with a hi-current NO-relay, signaled off any battery fed circuit.

We run a 1967 Notch back Drag car.
I have a push-pull link rod to the kill switch in the trunk area.
It comes out between the bumper & trunk lid.
Looks pretty clean, with a label made to say "PUSH OFF", just above it on the trunk.

I have a bracket welded to the roll cage to mount the switch on.
You could make a bracket to bolt to the trunk floor to mount the switch.
JEGS sells a remote kit.

Attachments

• 11140348_10205199360049207_2687116677103680913_n.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 343
Put it in the tail light lens. You can always replace it if you go back stock.

Nhra states rear of the vehicle. Most guys drill a hole in the tail light housing as their battery is in the trunk. Also must be in a "push off" lever. Or a clearly labeled rotary dial. I utilized a bumper bolt hole that I think originally held on a bumper-ette. And have an arm running to the kill switch, which is next to my battery in the trunk.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/1037...rrjH8TFHeZ6iqh7En4YE3Q5iNDHgiTc6KsBoC3l3w_wcB

Do NOT make it "pull off" must push.

I will take a look at the tail light tomorrow. I have a rotary switch now but I may have to get a push-pull link rod$

I have a friend that does some bracket racing in his 73 cuda. He removed the right tail light housing and made a metal cover to replace it. Then put his push kill rod going thru that metal plate. When hes done racing he just takes the plate off and puts the lens back in. Very quick change over. I hope to do something similar on my 66 dart.
Rod

Have you tried replacing a 68 Barracuda tailite? Through the lens!... I think not.
Or maybe the repops are cheap and easy...............

No I have not. But I sure would like to have a 68 Barracuda. I guess a tail light is higher than a tail panel.

On my Duster, I put it in trunk lock hole, and have a hood latch cable running up next to the driver seat to open the trunk.

I have a friend that does some bracket racing in his 73 cuda. He removed the right tail light housing and made a metal cover to replace it. Then put his push kill rod going thru that metal plate. When hes done racing he just takes the plate off and puts the lens back in. Very quick change over. I hope to do something similar on my 66 dart.
Rod

This ^^^ if you're not driving it on the street that's the perfect solution.

I drilled a hole behind the bumper on driver side and mounted a rotary switch on the fastback.

Fishmen67- do you have any pictures? Did you run the cables under the car andbehind the bumper?

sorry no pics , all wiring is mounted in the trunk, just the nose of the switch on the outside.

Here is the push pull switch on my Dart. It is a standard battery off switch an old hoppers gun cleaning handle attached.

This is with the truck closed. It comes out right below the trunk between the bumper.

^^Is that street driven?^^ With a tiny bit more work you can turn that into an additional "anti theft" feature. Cut the pushrod, and "rig" some tubing on the forward section so the rear rod slides into the rod. Put a simple stop collar on the rear rod. Now you can "push" it off, and it cannot be turned back on without unlocking the trunk.

That is on a race car. The rod unscrews easily and can be used for anti theft device.

Here's mine.

It's a Flaming River switch.

Attachments

• 20150430_150936.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 178
Thanks for the information and pictures. Here is what I ended up doing. Not as nice as some of your, but it will do for now.

Attachments

• KillSwitchOutside.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 135
  • KillSwitchInside.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 139
-
Back