Battery ....RIP,......... Death By Polar Vortex??

-
Funny, my 2013 battery is just fine here in Pennsylvania with negative 7 degree weather... but it blew the front crank seal from the oil being too thick... just replaced the oil pump 2 months ago... not a drop of oil... then gush on the way to work... I'll take a dead battery instead

If you're replacing a Ram battery you better have a battery cable strap to remove it. I didn't and struggled with the weight of it to remove it. Needless to say I definitely have one now. Limited space and no way to grab the sides to remove it.

I see I am not the only one to get long battery life. The Battery in my 05 Silverado went 13 years before it died. I have bought replacement batteries at Wal-Mart and tend to get an average of 10 years from those.

I saw a yellow top Optima at a pick-a-part but I was on the way out and didnt think of buying it. I saw 2 more Optimas on the battery return pallet at auto-zone. I understand you need to charge them in series with a standard battery so the smart charger doesnt sense a ~13V and give it a short charge and turn itself off?

Wind chill does not affect the battery. Just an FYI... only the skin.
I have a NAPA Legends battery in my DD 4cylinder and it started just fine in -24 weather on Wed.

The battery in my driver is six years old and have thought of replacing it just because. But I'm retired and have a great deal of time on my hands.

The battery in my driver is six years old and have thought of replacing it just because. But I'm retired and have a great deal of time on my hands.
As long as it won't be inconvenient if it poops out, keep it clean and serviced and it might last for 6 more.

I had a bad streak with lousy and/or leaking batteries and noted that the last couple caravans' OEM batteries seem to last ~7years or so. I bought my last two from the Dodge dealer because the cost was well inline with a "good"/name-brand replacement e.g. NOT duralast.

I just started the Barracuda started for the first time since late Oct (?). ( i know i didn't move it since the cold snap in early Nov.) so it sat a solid 3 months on the only battery its ever had in it since i bought it in 2008. That battery had enough to turn dead cold engine long enough to prime the bowl and start up an engine (several times) without a choke hooked up. On whim i found the stack of receipts that came with the car and found the sealed interstate battery was bought 12/30/2003 for $89.99 less a $20 coupon. That battery has never been on a tender nor have i ever treated it well, but its never failed either. I have no idea why its lasted so long other than i don't use it much?

I got 8 years out my original 03 Jeep battery.
Replaced it with an interstate, it only lasted 2 years.

The battery that came with my Duster 8 years ago is a wal-mart cheap one and it is still going.

I got 8 years out my original 03 Jeep battery.
Replaced it with an interstate, it only lasted 2 years.

The battery that came with my Duster 8 years ago is a wal-mart cheap one and it is still going.
Doesn't make much sense does it. We got 8 years out of our original Buick battery. The Interstate lasted 5. Still not too bad but what is in the OEM batteries that aren't in the replacements? My original PT Cruiser battery only lasted 3 years but the car got stored and the battery discharged totally a few times. The Diehard replacement lasted 7 years but I pit the maintainer charger on it while it sat in the winter. That seems to make a difference. It seems that once the battery goes completely dead it shortens the life.

-
Back