BB into a 66 barracuda

-

Car Freak

Reaction score
Ok, I need ya'lls help. I have the chance to put a 383 BB into my 66 barracuda. I know its not going to be easy or cheap but I need as much input as I can get on how to do this. I know I need a newer front end with disc brakes so I've been told a 72+ a body will work. I have several options on the rearend but I'm not sure of the best one. I want it disc brake as well so I'm guessing a later model from a newer car. I was going to go with a 360 but found the 383 and really want a ground pounder. I'm thinking a basic rebuild on the motor with a bigger cam ect. I dont want to go crazy but I want it to move! I need positive input so if all you have is negative plz dont dicourage me. This is what I have to work with and I'm determined to make it work. Old timer advice is what I need. Hopefully one of you has done something like this and can help me. Thank you very much in advance for any advice you have to give.

Chris

Not planning on this happening overnight so I can save for the more expensive things. Why are the headers so expensive? Maybe I can find some in the classified on here..

I think there are some HP manifolds that'll fit if you don't get too radical with the build to actually need headers. I mean.....it WILL be a big block in an early A. How much power do you really need there? lol

I think there are some HP manifolds that'll fit if you don't get too radical with the build to actually need headers. I mean.....it WILL be a big block in an early A. How much power do you really need there? lol

word...Hi-po manifolds and 2.5 pipes will be fine with a warm 383, just move the steering over a bit. I slotted the steering box holes and got about 1/4 inch more, and that is huge when doing these. I also put 3/4 inch spacers between the K and the frame. It let the bigger 727 fit the tunnel better even after pounding the body seam flat. Forget headers--no one makes them and the one set that almost fits, Pro-Parts, are out of print or the new run can be had for 6-700 bucks from Mazzolini but they still need to be modified. Forget power steering. No power brakes as there is no booster room, plan on a larger radiator and at least an 8.25 rear. If you want to do it, do it. Dont let anyone talk you into a 426 small block that already fits and has header options and can run power brakes, power steering and A/C..ha, just rubbing it in ;-) I did a 451 in a '65 A and lived to tell about it. Oh yeah, I still got the Streetmaster "B in an A" mounts...$:)

word...Hi-po manifolds and 2.5 pipes will be fine with a warm 383, just move the steering over a bit. I slotted the steering box holes and got about 1/4 inch more, and that is huge when doing these. I also put 3/4 inch spacers between the K and the frame. It let the bigger 727 fit the tunnel better even after pounding the body seam flat. Forget headers--no one makes them and the one set that almost fits, Pro-Parts, are out of print or the new run can be had for 6-700 bucks from Mazzolini but they still need to be modified. Forget power steering. No power brakes as there is no booster room, plan on a larger radiator and at least an 8.25 rear. If you want to do it, do it. Dont let anyone talk you into a 426 small block that already fits and has header options and can run power brakes, power steering and A/C..ha, just rubbing it in ;-) I did a 451 in a '65 A and lived to tell about it. Oh yeah, I still got the Streetmaster "B in an A" mounts...$:)

Photos ????

Ok, I need ya'lls help. I have the chance to put a 383 BB into my 66 barracuda. I know its not going to be easy or cheap but I need as much input as I can get on how to do this. I know I need a newer front end with disc brakes so I've been told a 72+ a body will work. I have several options on the rearend but I'm not sure of the best one. I want it disc brake as well so I'm guessing a later model from a newer car. I was going to go with a 360 but found the 383 and really want a ground pounder. I'm thinking a basic rebuild on the motor with a bigger cam ect. I dont want to go crazy but I want it to move! I need positive input so if all you have is negative plz dont dicourage me. This is what I have to work with and I'm determined to make it work. Old timer advice is what I need. Hopefully one of you has done something like this and can help me. Thank you very much in advance for any advice you have to give.

Chris
Chris, I am in the process of building a 65 Valiant V200 with a 383/727. Yes it does fit!! not well but it does fit. You may consider milling the left (driver side) exhaust manifold about 7 degrees, this will allow a bit more room around the steering shaft, you will also need to use a u-joint on the steering shaft instead of the big bulky ugly thing they call a coupler. Sweet Mfg. has the u-joint you may need, 3/4" smooth X 3/4"-36 spline, product I.D. 401-50612. $57.55 to the door www.sweet-mfg.biz . The right exhaust manifold fits but you may need to clearance the shock tower a slight amount. It is very very close to the shock tower. Do the steering box mod as suggested, you will gain 1/4" and you will need that little bit! The trans tunnel seam needs to go away, grind and weld, it will look a little better than the hammer flat route and give a little more clearance. If you change some of your manifold studs (rear 2) on each side to screws, then you will not need to remove the motor mounts to R&R the manifolds. The stock trans mounts work well. Stock 383 motor mounts will work but you will need to build an adapter from the k frame to the stock 383 motor mount. Don't over engineer the adapter, it's not that hard to build. I got them wright on the second try!! I kinda have the same attitude you do. Just do it!! If it was easy more people would be doing the same thing we are!! It will be worth it when you are done!!!

383 fell through. Broke my heart. Car sold just hours before I was going to get it. Back to building the 360. Guess I'll use the $ saved not buying the 383 to make a better 360. I'm still excited about the build but literally dreamed of driving it with that BB in it. Girlfriends brother has a 71 440 with 28k miles on it said he would sell it to me for a grand then said he'd let me have it for quite a bit less. Should I buy it and sit on it for my next build and yes there will be another or do I dare put a 440 in such a small car?

This may go on twice but the 383 fell through. car sold just hours before I was to go pick it up so I'm back on the 360 build. Broke my heart. My girlfriends brother has a 71 440 he said he'd sell me for a grand but then said he'd let me have it for less. Do I buy it and sit on it for the next build and yes there will be another one or do I dare put a 440 into such a small car?

Chris

You need to have fabrication skills to do this with a 440 as its not a buy and bolt everything on build. For ease I recommend the small block build.

A nicely built SB is a whole lot quicker than a Big Block plus now you wont have any fit up problems,headaches, etc., just throw it in make a few addjustments and your on your way.. I have a nicely built .030 and a few other goodies in my 340 Duster that makes her shyt and gyt and 2 of my friends have 383 and 440 BB 's in there "A" Bodies and all they can do in the 1/4 is smell my exhaust but after that its their game and there cars are nicely built also.

small blocks rock just as well! Especially in little a bodies that dont weigh alot. Too much weight in front makes handling an issue. I have nothing against big blocks, someday I want one but in the right car! My old 66 cuda ran low 14's with a mild 318, you can do well with a good 360! Why shoe horn a big motor in small car makes it hard just to change spark plugs..JMO

have to agree that a nicely built small block with really make the light early A's move on out! I was able to junkyard-build a used low-compression 360 into 325 flywheel-hp for just over $500 so if you have twice that to spend you should be able to make a real runner! my recipe was a completely bone-stock bottom end, stock heads with a good 3angle valve job, used Holley Street-Dominator intake, shorty headers, Lunati cam [email protected] I & E, .480 lift, 1.6 roller rockers (net .512 lift) and splurged on a new edelbrock 600 carb. Its torquey even with a highway gear in the 8.75 rear. The key to keeping it real on the street is making the entire combo work together. I lucked into an A999 trans so the lower first gear in that trans works great with the 2.93 in the rear end. I shift at 4500rpm and it will chirp tires going into 2nd AND 3rd if you have the balls to stay in it that long, cause by then you are pushing 90-100 mph!!!

-
Back