Be Aware!

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
well i gotta go with gtx on this one hearing the other side of it makes it a little different. Hemicop you did take up a lot of his time and effort through his accounts and you apparently did agree to buy the car sight unseen in person you saw pics of the car and from what i can tell said you were satisfied with the pics, That is one of the issues buying stuff on the internet you cant get up see and touch it. You are wanting him to be fair about everything but if you agreed to buy it wether you were happy or not you gave your word and then you didnt follow through. I do possibly agree though that when gtx sells the car if he has made anything above what he was originally wanting factoring in his time and extra money that he incurred during all the mess, i mean time isnt free either and i know i hate being taken away from my family especially when not making any money anyway he should then refund some of your money but i think if all gtx's accounts are somewhat accurate you should give him the benefit of waiting to sell the car and in all reality he doesnt even have to do that if you put the deposit down it doesnt mean you get to come look at the car while he puts other buyers off for you and if you dont like it get all your money back. Also as to you driving all the way out there that was your choice you wanted to get the car and that is just how this hobby works you win some you lose some but by the pics i would have to say that is an easy 1200.00 car you dont get much for 1200 bucks these days and that seems like a pretty nice car to me but thats just my .02 Justin

sorry, but i am for keeping 100% of the deposit. i feel bad for gtx for all his time wasted by someone else's attitude/mindset/respect levels. crackedback nailed it. i for sure won't ever do business with hemicop.

....to say the least. Anyone ever heard of buying an option? Wheather it be on some stocks, a house, or a car? When you purchase an option you pay, up front, an agreed amount of money to the seller to hold that item for an agreed amount of time. At the termination of that time frame the purchaser has the right to exercise his option by paying the full amount of an agreed purchase price or decline to purchase the item and then at that time the price paid for the option becomes" The price one pays for the opportunity to tie up another mans property". Most options i have ever dealt with or purchased were of a lesser percentage of the purchase price. Sounds like someone chose not to exercise their option.
Very pleased to see that this thread didn't contain a bunch of foul language.

My dad had a guy give him 700 down on a 95 dakota and said that he would be back in a week with the rest and take the truck. 5 weeks, several calls, 3 lost buyers later the guy call back and says that he wants his 700 back. Needless to say he did not get one cent back and the truck was sold to someone else.
Everyone that deals in or with cars knows that a deposit is nonrefundable if you back out of the deal. Once a sale is lost due to a deposit beeing put down you lost your deposit plain and simple.

I agree that this should not have been a thread also.Hemicop needs to take a course in AUTOMOBILE BUYING 101! Unless you specifically state and it is "WRITTEN" that you will receive your deposit if you decide to not make the purchase then you should not expect to get a "DIME' back!
A deposit or earnest money is a good faith contract that you are going to purchase the item.
If after looking at said item you decline to make the purchase then you forefit the deposit to the Seller for there time and trouble! Personally I think Hemicop should apologize to GTexperience for even insinuating he was wrong in not refunding any $$$! And apologize to FABO for even bringing this bullshit up!
That is my opinion,and it usually ain't worth a whole lot to anyone but me but it is my opinion anyways! Unless Hemicop has an email stating that he gets a refund of his deposit if he decides not to purchase the car after he inspects it then he is as we say in Texas! "**** OUT OF LUCK BUDDY"

GTX should get 500 more just for having to type all of that!
I have put deposits on cars before, and it was because it didnt want anyone else to snatch it up! I knew good an well that if I changed my mind (and I never have once) I was out the money. Heck, I put 500 down on my roadrunner without even seeing the car.

GTX there is definately no reason for you to apologize to anyone on or for this thread. You didn't start it nor did you do anything wrong and I believe thats the majority opinion from the replies that have been posted. I do think an apology is in order here, but it should be coming from Hemicop.

I'm not going to get into a "hesaid/hesaid" argument here. Only he & I know how this really all went down. I have nothing to apoligize for. At worst he keeps my money, which he has anyways. As to it not being your car --- if you recall as you were putting things back in the Dart & we were by my trialer I apologized for taking your time,your comment was "That's okay, it's not my car any way" and you mentioned you had others interseted in it anyway. Your time, which is indeed worth something is also part of doing business, as was my expense to drive there. If you're life is so full that you feel dealing in cars is costing you time away from work and family, logic suggests you put the car thing on hold.
And why you seem to hold the fact I'm retired against me, I have no idea. The delay in (trying) to pick-up the car, I explained to you, was because my sister in N.Y had heart surgery, requiring me to be there. While maybe there were other ways all this could've been handled, the facts are, I didn't know where I was going in your town, you're not the only one with family obligations and other things going on in life, I specified why I was passing on your car, AND I admitted you were entitled to something for your efforts as I recognize all the work it takes to get ready for any car show.
This whole thing is/was a nightmare and I did learn some things from all this. It still doesn't explain or justify no response to my E-mails or why you couldn't own up to planning on keeping the deposit right there, which you obviously did. I did explain I wasn't going to get in a "shouting match" in public, in broad daylight over it and I did give you plenty of time to respond.
Now after all this, you'll probably keep my money, bad mouth me ( it IS your right BTW) and go on selling parts to whomever. My only hope is that those reaing this learn something & take this whole incident, as I did, as a lesson.
Obviously I do need a lesson in "car buying 101" and $1,200 bucks perhaps doesn't buy much of a car in Northern Caif. but when I see 1/4 panels, trunk floor, & roof needing replacing I don't look at it as a $1,200 car. The respondents to this thread obviously feel I'm the bad guy here & I can't change that, nor will I try. As I said this was all a great learning experience.

Two weeks ago I went to pick up up a car from a FABO member (GTXperience) in Northern California. After seeing the car on the site & talking to him several times I figured the car was worthwhile so I sent him five hundred $s of the twelve hundred dollars he wanted for the car. After travelling from Az. to his location (at considerable expense) I inspected the car closely & found it wasn't what I was looking for in terms of condition. I told him so & said I'd pass on the car & that I realized he didn't have to return my deposit/downpayment but I hoped he realized what occurred & would be fair about it. He replied that he'd "think about it", that it didn't really matter as he had other people that'd buy it and it really wasn't his car anyway:angry6:. Now he didn't seem angry or upset through this whole ordeal and I figured he was a reasonable guy that would do the fair thing and at least return some of my money ( which I told him I thought was fair, too) and that I'd hear from him after Spring Fling.
Well, after several E-mails I haven't even received so much as an acknowledgemnt from him! Just goes to show not everyone here is as fair or upstanding as they appear.

To keep from getting into the "hesaid/hesaid" argument, lets just go back to your initial post. I highlighted the one statement that, to me, says it all. You stated the YOU realized that he didn't have to return your deposit/downpayment. After that he didn't owe you anything, not even an explanation. It seems you pursued him, in the form of emails, which he was under no obligation to acknowledge since the deal was done.

Now in your last post you say that he'll probably keep your money.....well referring back to the original post it is his money. As far as bad mouthing you, I haven't seen him post anything about this situation till you started this thread.

I don't see why this is so hard to understand. A deposit is saying you agree to the terms of the agreement and the money is for partial payment as well as keeping the seller from selling the car to someone else until you can pick it up in a certain time frame. If for ANY reason you change your mind and back out of the agreement, you LOSE your deposit, it's as easy as that.

Guys, I've found myself in this kind of predicament before, going to lengths to be as sure as I can about the condition of a car before I buy it.......and I've even had cars held for me WITHOUT a deposit........

BUT, when a car was held for me, after I said I would buy it, I've never backed out due to the car not being all I expected......... A $1200. car is a $1200. car.......it's gonna have a lot of problems.......and it will have a few more than anyone can possibly convey through pics and descriptions........

If you make a deal, and someone holds a car, then you buy it.......unless there has been a very obvious fraud involved, which in this case, wasn't the case.

The seller is even going the extra mile to be a stand up guy by stating that if he got his money out of another sale, he'd revisit the whole thing!

Just a few weeks ago, a member of a public Mopar forum sold me a car.......he pulled a fast one on me.....lied to me about certain things, hid the fact of a driveline problem, etc..........very upsetting to me, but not the end of the world...not a blown motor or anything....yet.....but I'm not going to out the guy in a public forum........just not going to happen.......

If I have a problem like this, I can handle it myself.......If I got myself into it in the first place, I don't need to be dividing a public community to try to gain some kind of support.

My sympathies to both parties........but fairness and common sense should rule the day. :read2:

I think its fair to say each party has had a chance to share there side of the story. Keeping this open isnt going to help any. I hope you guys can solve your differences.

Putting money down sight-unseen is just dumb. Any wonder why people tyring to unload junk cars require deposits? Especialy if it is more than a token amount? Almost half the price of the car? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

The guy I bought my last truck from off eBay was selling what he called a pristine, low-mileage vehicle, and it looked like it from the pics. But you never know. He also wanted a $1,000 deposit in 24 hours. I sent him a message telling him I was willing to show up at his location to pay the full amount in cash and sign over the title to take delivery 24 hours after the auction, if that would be alright with him. If he was on the level (which he was) that should be no problem (and it wasn't).

gtx did the right thing hemicpoer you blew it thats my take, dept is dept you wasted gtx time big time dont forget that:happy10:

I'm not going to get into a "hesaid/hesaid" argument here. Only he & I know how this really all went down. I have nothing to apoligize for. At worst he keeps my money, which he has anyways. As to it not being your car --- if you recall as you were putting things back in the Dart & we were by my trialer I apologized for taking your time,your comment was "That's okay, it's not my car any way" and you mentioned you had others interseted in it anyway. Your time, which is indeed worth something is also part of doing business, as was my expense to drive there. If you're life is so full that you feel dealing in cars is costing you time away from work and family, logic suggests you put the car thing on hold.
And why you seem to hold the fact I'm retired against me, I have no idea. The delay in (trying) to pick-up the car, I explained to you, was because my sister in N.Y had heart surgery, requiring me to be there. While maybe there were other ways all this could've been handled, the facts are, I didn't know where I was going in your town, you're not the only one with family obligations and other things going on in life, I specified why I was passing on your car, AND I admitted you were entitled to something for your efforts as I recognize all the work it takes to get ready for any car show.
This whole thing is/was a nightmare and I did learn some things from all this. It still doesn't explain or justify no response to my E-mails or why you couldn't own up to planning on keeping the deposit right there, which you obviously did. I did explain I wasn't going to get in a "shouting match" in public, in broad daylight over it and I did give you plenty of time to respond.
Now after all this, you'll probably keep my money, bad mouth me ( it IS your right BTW) and go on selling parts to whomever. My only hope is that those reaing this learn something & take this whole incident, as I did, as a lesson.
Obviously I do need a lesson in "car buying 101" and $1,200 bucks perhaps doesn't buy much of a car in Northern Caif. but when I see 1/4 panels, trunk floor, & roof needing replacing I don't look at it as a $1,200 car. The respondents to this thread obviously feel I'm the bad guy here & I can't change that, nor will I try. As I said this was all a great learning experience.

It's all about you...

Guess I was right!

hemicop... you just don't get it. You commit to buying the car and then don't want it. Isn't any he said/she said about it. That's a fact you can't deny or deflect. Try to find any justification you want to make yourself feel better or sway the masses. Fairly commonplace reaction for people in professions when they screw up.

You got pictures of everything and say the 1/4's need replacing because, since this is all about you, YOU couldn't see that or better yet your body guy couldn't. Come on now. I didn't think that car needed either 1/4's or a roof, could use a trunk pan due to the scaley rust.

Even though it wasn't what YOU wanted, IMHO, you should have taken it. Parted or sold what you could to recoup some of your considerable expenses incurred and called it a day.

BTW, I told a friend that wanted the car, when I heard that this car was sold to you, you'd bail. cha ching... where's my 2 dollars???

Still got that bellhousing?

While it sucks that you feel like that, by no means should GTX's integraty be in question. You gave the deposit, He took the deposit, The info had already been sent, and you drove from AZ to pick the car up. Not look at it, that was already determind that you were buying it. Why the hell would someone drive from a different state just to look at something that was $1200? $12,000 maybe, a numbers matching restored cuda, maybe, but a $1200 4 door dart that even the CL pics ive seen, is what it is. I dont get it. IMO you came up to Purchase the car.
With all it took, and the rescheduling, which happens, im sure we all can relate to that, you put a deposit to hold it Untill you could pick it up. Non refundable.
I dont know you Hemicop, and by no means am i judging you, if i had just lost $500 of my hard earned money, id be upset to. But by no means would i publicly attack someone, when the truth of the matter is, i screwed up. I hope like you said, a leason learned, but not GTX's fault.
I have had nothing but detailed discriptions from any thing i have ever asked of GTX. I have had this man offer to drive and diliver parts to me from LA, and not asked for a single thing, and to find out all of This stuff was going on at the same time, is even more impressive! Not to mention IVE NEVER EVEN MET THE GUY!!! In my book, he's a stand up guy, that just tries to help out and keep the hobby alive. Beers on me Ben:cheers:

......... A $1200. car is a $1200. car.......it's gonna have a lot of problems.......and it will have a few more than anyone can possibly convey through pics and descriptions........

Exactly, I can't think of any mopar or other car for that matter that isn't going to have 1/4 rust, trunk pan issues and other things for $1200. It sounds like this thing was looked at more as an investment only; I know if I drove that far to get a car I really wanted, I'd come back with a car.

As others have said also a deposit is only returnable if the seller wants to. I recently put a deposit on a car and then had some medical issues come up and was unable to purchase the car, I called the the seller and let him know what was up and told him to sell it and if he couldn't I'd still get the car when things were straightened out. He sold the car and gave me my deposit back, but I wouldn't have dared ask him for it, in my mind it was his to keep if he wanted.

It also isn't cool to start threads like this. I've dealt with being called out in threads like this before, once because a drove from PA to get a charger grille, looked it over first, paid cash, shoved it in his trunk with the lid banging on it and then had the nerve to rake me over the coals on a message board because it broke on the way home.......... some people. The mods on that board banned the guy for it....

Ive been in this situation before and got the same runaround.. the only difference is i have never gotten a deposit upfront..(i know dumb..)
so i know how it feels to have a bunch of my time wasted...
there would be no refund from me.. (if i ever took a deposit, lol)

The saddest part of all this is that hemicop felt it necessary to air his dirty laundry in this forum under the guise of making all of us "aware". This was/is a private matter that should have remained that way.

After reading through everything, If I was in the same situation, I would be keeping the deposit and If I was in Hemicop's shoes, I would take it as a lesson well learned, hopefully the both of you can see eye to eye and get along.

What the hell do people think a deposit is anyways? I once gave a $2000 deposit for two weeks to verify a car's authenticity. If it was valid, and I bailed - kiss the cash goodbye. If not, it would be returned.

"A deposit paid by a buyer to a seller to demonstrate intention to complete the purchase. also called earnest money."

Kiss the cash goodbye

Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back