Be careful putting these engines together

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Guy brought this to me, new engine build, said high rpms there was a tapping sound, it ran great, no misses, ran it up to 4500 rpms and the tapping started. Checked all the top end, and was solid. Pulled the heads and behold, a piston was installed in the wrong direction, lucky he ran 450 lift cam,. Actually he ran Harlan sharp 1:6 rockers, which in turn made them 470 lift

IMG_9836.jpeg

IMG_9835.jpeg

Wouldn't one think that would kind of stick out????
I have made a LOT of dumb mistakes, but I don't think I would have overlooked that!

woof. that's down right malarky.

i had a builder put the #2 & 4 pistons in with the valve reliefs switched and hung a valve, so yeah, i can see that but this? how in the ever loving ****. i'd absolutely love to hear the excuse on this one.

what a dumb mistake, the one who built it must be pretty ignorant....is the rod also in wrong?

Michael

I just disassembled one similar to that, he wasn’t so lucky. The person who assembled the engine put #3 piston in #4 hole, and #4 piston in #3 hole. They had the connecting rods on correct. Didn’t make 1 run down the 1/4 mile, snapped both intake valves off. Heads are out trying to get fixed now

One of my early 170 slant six builds. After 2 years of racing, took the engine apart and had valve marks just like that. 12 of them. It's called positive valve closing :)

I heard turning a piston upside down was actually a speed secret. Lol! It will be lucky that is all the damage it caused. Very lucky.

The assemblers name was't Joe Obvious for sure. He must be the guy that asked which way to turn the screw to lower his idle. :rofl:

you may not be done finding the surprises..... slowly, carefully, examine everything now..... :D

Guy brought this to me, new engine build, said high rpms there was a tapping sound, it ran great, no misses, ran it up to 4500 rpms and the tapping started. Checked all the top end, and was solid. Pulled the heads and behold, a piston was installed in the wrong direction, lucky he ran 450 lift cam,. Actually he ran Harlan sharp 1:6 rockers, which in turn made them 470 lift

View attachment 1716151704

View attachment 1716151705

Facebook is great for seeing stuff like this.

-
Back