Be careful with chemicals guys.

-
I was a lab technician at a place that made rockstar.. If you stuck your head in vat of concentrate it would take your breath away..

There's a number of things that are just plain obnoxious. I guess you guys know about the old trichloro based CRC and other brands, tuner / electronics cleaner, brake clean, other types. ALL of them if you ran them through a flame/ heat/ welder, they produce phosgene gas. Same thing with the old refrigerants, R11, 12, 22, 500, 502, whatever else, Same thing the Nazis used.

We used to have boraxo at work and some unbranded "Dove like" dish soap. Sometimes cleaning up we'd mix the two. That **** would clean like nobody's business, but woe the guy who had an open cut!!!

We just had an incident at work with the nitric acid tanks, maintenance was cleaning out the remainder of the tank with shop vac that someone must've used bleach in, yeah yellow gas cloud out the back and shut down production for a day.

I was a Millwright in a steel mill and our finishing department used about five different types of acid. My buddy and I were inside the shot blasting cabinets rebuilding the shot units and the fumes were getting terrible. I told my buddy we gotta get out of here. By time we climbed out it felt like a circus fat lady was laying on my chest. 30 of us were sent to the dispensary where we were given throat lozenges to coat our throats and we were told to keep walking till we were taken to the hospital for chest ex-rays. It took about four hours to breathe normally again.

Dang that scary stuff!! I'm glad your ok!
I worked for a cleaning company in my late teens we did contract cleaning for factories, schools, office buildings and such. We had a new employee almost die when she mixed bleach and acid to clean the toilets. She poured bleach in the toilet and flushed it then sprayed the acid. I guess she thought flushing the bleach would suffice. Well it didnt she nearly died. We had to drag here outside in fresh air and call the rescue squad. She had chemical pneumonia and burns on her lungs it was scary I was only about 18 it scared the **** out of me i never messed with that stuff ever after that.

I was a lab technician at a place that made rockstar.. If you stuck your head in vat of concentrate it would take your breath away..
Rockstar energy drinks??
That explains alot about you! Haha jk

E260D5D6-3B24-44AB-A8E3-628F87DE2CED.jpeg
9E33345D-214F-44A7-9257-7957486F0C5F.jpeg
00B46264-B4AE-4A0C-8A20-939262D689CA.jpeg
F5E39149-8404-40C4-93A2-C4F0921EA7BF.jpeg
What is the chemical name on the jug

Ok here are pictures of the two I mixed together. Like I said there was around one inch of the week killer left. The only other ingredient that was in there was I put a squirt of Dawn dish soap in with the weed killer as they say it helps it to stick on the weeds longer.

F6F04EC6-DE77-42E2-94C4-3E45C303F711.jpeg
F4B247C4-9CBC-4392-9E5F-D6BB366119B2.jpeg
Here are a few pictures of this slippery, slime like stuff in my driveway. Now it hasn’t rained here in a week but before I dosed it when it rained this craps would expand and grow like crazy.

View attachment 1715540361 View attachment 1715540362 View attachment 1715540364 View attachment 1715540365

Ok here are pictures of the two I mixed together. Like I said there was around one inch of the week killer left. The only other ingredient that was in there was I put a squirt of Dawn dish soap in with the weed killer as they say it helps it to stick on the weeds longer.
Yep, you made chloramine gas by mixing those. Deadly gas, almost as lethal as pure chlorine gas. Glad you escaped.

I've never done anything stupid...:D...
and
View attachment 1715540361 View attachment 1715540362 View attachment 1715540364 View attachment 1715540365

A combination of roundup and arsenal, should work real well.
Arsenal is ground sterilant and has post and pre-emergent activity, the addition of the glyphosate is to speed the kill of existing plants.
Be careful mixing with chlorine. lol also be careful around desirable plants with the Imazapyr/Arsenal
Tip of the day. lol and always clean your spray tank before switching chemicals.

I know I know I’m posting this in the wrong spot but most of the guys I come on here to see their posts are racers. I got careless yesterday and it almost cost me bigtime. I have just under 2 acres around my house and shop and when I spray for weeds I hook up 200-250 feet of hose and spray weed killer on 400-500 feet of gravel driveway, trees, shrubbery, around buildings,etc. well I have been fighting a slippery, algy slime like crap that when wet is like ice. Someone told me to spray it with pool chlorine so I bought some but I picked up a 7.00 gallon of a chlorine mixture said to eliminate crap like this. Well I had about one inch of weed spray left in my yard sprayer and like an idiot I dumped the chlorine mixture on top of it. BIG azz mistake as it started bubbling, steaming, (chemical reaction) and even with gloves on super hot. I threw it and ran away but man it almost dropped me. Tired, getting late, it took 30 seconds to almost do bodily harm. I’m sure it would have killed me. Just like welding something after you spray it with brake clean, DON’T DO IT.
Good general rule of thumb - Never mix bleach with anything except water.

Being in the Print Industry I can name off a few that are not for the weary at heart.....

Naptha
Red Magic X

Those alone are bad news...... Luckily the chemicals today are much safer that we use. Of course there is a trade off in getting the results out of them but time passes on and most don't even realize the difference....

JW

My friend used to work for Parker-Hannifin in the hydraulic test department. They have hydro fluid called hi-jet which is not that bad but they had another that was flammable and would almost melt your skin off. I guess it was used in fighter aircraft that didnt really have a flammability issue? Lots of F-18 and Tomahawk missile parts.

782D4B62-24B6-4B55-A099-B67BE11E5EE2.jpeg
Here’s a picture of this crap I posted a picture of on my trailer fender after lasts nights rain. Yuck.

View attachment 1715540895 Here’s a picture of this crap I posted a picture of on my trailer fender after lasts nights rain. Yuck.
That stuff is not of this world, seen any strange lights in the night sky lately? :D

Reminds me of when I was re purposing some old aluminum running boards+ mud flaps.
I figured some good commercial quality muratic acid oughta clean the nasty stuff off real good. OMG! the reaction started fuming, gotta wiff and about like to kill me as I scrambled to hose it off .

I was a Millwright in a steel mill and our finishing department used about five different types of acid. My buddy and I were inside the shot blasting cabinets rebuilding the shot units and the fumes were getting terrible. I told my buddy we gotta get out of here. By time we climbed out it felt like a circus fat lady was laying on my chest. 30 of us were sent to the dispensary where we were given throat lozenges to coat our throats and we were told to keep walking till we were taken to the hospital for chest ex-rays. It took about four hours to breathe normally again.

When working with any agro-industry they use acid, not just chemicals that are readily available. I wonder if marijuana on hub420 cannabis is treated that way too? Someone else wrote about fascists.
The fumes are probably scarier than the chemicals themselves

When I worked for the tiny HVAC shop in spokane, they bought ivory liquid "look alike" detergent for stuff around the sink, and we had boraxo powdered. THAT mixture could REALLY get into a cut and wake you up!!!

But the real deal ya learn REALLY fast is that all the old school refrigerants like R12/22/500/502 etc when you are brazing fittings--when you run that stuff "through a fire" it generates PHOSGENE. Same stuff as used by Hitler in the camps.

And several "brake clean" like solvents do the same thing. Using some of these cleaners before brazing or welding can generate toxic gas

When I worked for the tiny HVAC shop in spokane, they bought ivory liquid "look alike" detergent for stuff around the sink, and we had boraxo powdered. THAT mixture could REALLY get into a cut and wake you up!!!

But the real deal ya learn REALLY fast is that all the old school refrigerants like R12/22/500/502 etc when you are brazing fittings--when you run that stuff "through a fire" it generates PHOSGENE. Same stuff as used by Hitler in the camps.

And several "brake clean" like solvents do the same thing. Using some of these cleaners before brazing or welding can generate toxic gas
And this is why you never use engine vacuum to draw out AC refrigerants. I did this to a r134a system and went near the exhaust and it almost knocked me out instantly. I think at one point I wasn't stone stupid but my memory ain't so good anymore

You are a little off on the war gasses. In WWll Hitler used a gas called ZYKLON-B, a type of rat poison. In WWl the Germans used phosgene gas [AKA Combat Gas]. Phosgene gas turns into hydrochloric acid gas when it hits the moisture in your lungs and produces carbon monoxide in your bloodstream. It will fry your brain for years and years. I was told freon 22 is worse than freon 12. It decomposes into phosgene over time with heat and age. Phosgene is heavier than air, so it was effective in trench warfare.

I was working on an old freon 22 tank years ago, it felt like there was something in it so I brought it outside and opened the valve. Nothing. Turned it upside down, shook it, still nothing. Blew into the valve and the gas blew back into my lungs so fast I didn't react. Got an acrid taste. A half an hour later I started getting sicker. Brain fog and shortness of breath. A couple of hours later I was getting sicker so I got a ride to the ER. I got oxygen there, felt a little better went home, got sick again. But I made it. I was sick for months, coughing up white phlegm. After doing a lot of research, I talked to a refrigeration guy and he told me about phosgene. I later found out the hospital should have put me in a hyperbaric chamber. Too late now.

I hear you.
when I was 15, I mixed bleach and ammonia to clean the garage floor, it did a great job. lol
I wondered why dad about kicked my *** when he found out. but I'm still here. even after painting with the wood stove going and no ventilation.
I did some real stupid ****, even put a metal gas can on top of a battery. lol Thank god for the neighbor he put the fire out on me and the car.
Same deal for me in the shower, same house Dad Passed In....

My wife had a guy in hospital who opened a bucket of pool chlorine and stuck his head in it to smell them "to see if they're still good"

-
Back